Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tgr42
  1. capcom303's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
       #1  
    If you use the camera pod does it use that battery until it is dead and then switch to the onboard battery in the phone or does it drain both at the same time? Also anybody that has one does it really add that much life?
  2. tgr42's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    283 Posts
    #2  
    The camera grip's battery charges the phone's battery, just as if you plugged the phone into any power source. If the phone's battery is fully charged, it will effectively run off the camera grip's battery until that's gone, then start draining the phone's battery. Note that you can also turn the camera grip battery on and off. (Read the manual. You can download it from Nokia if you don't own one.)

    As for how much life it adds, please see my earlier post here - it has a battery level graph that illustrates my real world results:

    Avoid Damage from Camera Grip (PD-95G)
  3. capcom303's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
       #3  
    Okay thanks, Was out the other day and only took maybe 20-30 pictures over an hour and battery life was bad. It would have been dead if we stayed there for another hour. This would never replace a camera on a trip without keeping a charge near by all day
  4. Ultimateone's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    763 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by capcom303 View Post
    Okay thanks, Was out the other day and only took maybe 20-30 pictures over an hour and battery life was bad. It would have been dead if we stayed there for another hour. This would never replace a camera on a trip without keeping a charge near by all day
    I disagree haha
  5. tgr42's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    283 Posts
    #5  
    Battery life will depend on your usage and how you've set up the phone. If you haven't taken general battery saving precautions, expect to get poor battery life. This is how Windows Phone is, unfortunately. But if you put some effort into it you can get good battery life out of the 1020. On the day shown in that graph, my phone was still going at the end of the day while my companions' iPhones were dead. And I took a lot more pictures than they did since it was my first major test of the 1020. Also did maps, email, and a little web browsing throughout the day, but not too much.
  6. capcom303's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimateone View Post
    I disagree haha
    Most days I'm sitting on 70% left on the battery by bed time. That day it was at 98% when we got out of the truck. Was there just a little over an hour and a half and it was down to 20%. Counted them and we took 38 pictures while there so I would say in another 10 pictures or so my phone would have been dead. Not sure what other setting to change to get much better battery life on a normal day because on I get good life most any other day. I've never used the camera for more then a couple of pictures at any one time
  7. tgr42's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    283 Posts
    #7  
    Was your usage pattern a series of repeated events structured like this?

    - wake up / unlock phone
    - start camera app
    - take picture(s), maybe with some review/delete/retake
    - exit camera app
    - put phone to sleep

    This is what I did many times during my several hours of taking photos. I tried to minimize the amount of time the display was on, and didn't leave the camera app running unless I knew I was going to need it again within the next minute or so. Granted, I used the battery grip to recharge in the middle of my shooting spree, but looking at the graph it seemed like I probably still would've been ok without it.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by capcom303 View Post
    Most days I'm sitting on 70% left on the battery by bed time. That day it was at 98% when we got out of the truck. Was there just a little over an hour and a half and it was down to 20%. Counted them and we took 38 pictures while there so I would say in another 10 pictures or so my phone would have been dead. Not sure what other setting to change to get much better battery life on a normal day because on I get good life most any other day. I've never used the camera for more then a couple of pictures at any one time
    Take a leaf out of my book, and reboot before going out. Chances are that the battery meter was just horribly inaccurate.

    I should know because this is a general problem with Windows Phone.
    Apparently, there is not a single trace of Segoe UI on this forum.
  9. pavvento's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    394 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,420 Global Posts
    #9  
    In limited use I have found that the camera (or Nokia cam app, not sure) uses a lot of battery.
    ----
    My Device History circa 2007:

    Nokia 1020 > Nokia 920 > Nokia 900 > HTC Titan > HP Pre 3 > HP Veer > Palm Pre 2 > HTC Evo > Palm Pre > iPhone 3G > iPhone
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    In limited use I have found that the camera (or Nokia cam app, not sure) uses a lot of battery.
    It should, especially for the Pro Cam. You're not only trying to save a raw 34/38 MP image, you're trying to oversample it to 5MP as well. Add to that the Xenon flash, and you're going to need the camera grip.
    Apparently, there is not a single trace of Segoe UI on this forum.
  11. pocketDragon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingTraveler View Post
    Take a leaf out of my book, and reboot before going out. Chances are that the battery meter was just horribly inaccurate.
    I have to say I've also found this to be the case with my 1020. Although I honestly don't recall this being a problem with my 920. I always felt the battery life, even the "reported" battery life to be great.

Similar Threads

  1. Lumia 920 dropped in water
    By Skynetz in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-24-2013, 10:55 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-22-2013, 03:55 PM
  3. Need Help: What Windows Phones in the US are compatible with Sprint's Network?
    By natelawrence in forum General Microsoft News and Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2013, 06:37 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2013, 01:00 PM
  5. Camera app that does it all?
    By Meagey in forum Nokia Lumia 925
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2013, 12:13 PM

Posting Permissions

B