Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By djburkes
  • 1 Post By Lucas Sanjuan
  • 1 Post By D ram

I own a Lumia 920 and unfortunately, have had the pleasure of replacing a digitizer for someone with a 920. Today I replaced my first Lumia 1020 LCD+digitizer. The screen was ordered from etradesupply.com and cost around $188. It only took a few days to arrive and was packed nicely between layers of a foam inside a plastic container. Taking the screen assembly off wasn't very difficult at all. There's a PDF floating around from Nokia Care that shows the teardown of a Lumia 1020. I turned the phone off, popped out the SIM tray, unscrewed a #4 torx screw and opened the screen starting with the top left corner. I disconnected the cable for the screen, the cable for the front facing camera, and the battery cable per the instructions. The only thing the PDF didn't mention was how to remove the digitizer and LCD from the plastic assembly. It wasn't held with normal adhesive, it was actually glued. I found that out after trying to heat the glass for a while. I ended up breaking the glass around the inside edge of the plastic assembly so I could remove the LCD then scraped the rest of the glass off of the assembly with a small screw driver. It took about an hour and a half to get all of the glass off. Here are a few pics of the cracked screen and the plastic assembly. I had double sided black adhesive that I usually use when replacing screens but it was a little too thick. The only other adhesive I had was double sided carpet adhesive and it worked like a charm.

cracked.jpg

front.jpg

back.jpg
    Last edited by djburkes; 08-23-2013 at 09:03 PM.
    Muessig and jay6600 like this.
    Good stuff. Consider adding "How to:" or "Tips:" to the title of this thread to make it stand out better. To do that, click Edit then Advanced.

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Djburke, thanks for sharing. Are you able to share the PDF ? I just broke my lumia 1020 screen and ordered a replacement, the PDF would be very helpful. Appreciate any other guidance you can provide.

I just broke my screen too and found this PDF: http://devdb.ru/data/file/file5245f7...6.03810084.pdf

Hello, I broke the screen of my 1020, is it possible to replace only the glass?
    geegn1 likes this.

I broke only the top glass and found site that sells the replacement glass and not the LCD. Anyone know how to replace just the top glass, lcd works fine.
    geegn1 likes this.

Here is a video some of you might find helpful

It's about the 920, but I would guess the process is similar with the 1020 screen.

Personally I would not try to replace the glass by myself, it just seems like too much hassle. Better option would be to either have it repaired by Nokia or buy a whole front screen assembly which is a lot simpler to replace and the service manual for the details is floating around; both are more expensive options but if you don't have any experience with fixing and tinkering with electronics yourself they are much safer options.

can you share the site that sells only the glass pls ? :D