Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bawboh86
  • 1 Post By hysonmb
  1. Alan delon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
       #1  
    I want to order a lumia 1020 from Microsoft store (full price) but i saw this line:" For Use with Existing Plan
    No Contract Required
    Activate on Delivery"
    and i don't know if i can order the device if i don't have any at&t account...
    if someone had the same case and the solution for that i will be glad to hear..;)
    thanks and have a good day!
  2. hysonmb's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    68 Posts
    #2  
    You can buy it without having an account. You don't have to activate it to use it and since you're buying it full price you can have AT&T unlock it as soon as you get it.
    Thanked by:
  3. Alan delon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by hysonmb View Post
    You can buy it without having an account. You don't have to activate it to use it and since you're buying it full price you can have AT&T unlock it as soon as you get it.
    u can confirm that?
  4. geekaren's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    #4  
    It may depend on which store / sales rep you get. I was buying mine at full retail (~$700 including tax) and the AT&T store rep wouldn't sell it without getting my account info first.

    If the AT&T store you visit gives you a hassle, try another. Also remember that buying from the Microsoft store is an option, too...
    AT&T Nokia Lumia 1020
  5. Alan delon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekaren View Post
    It may depend on which store / sales rep you get. I was buying mine at full retail (~$700 including tax) and the AT&T store rep wouldn't sell it without getting my account info first.

    If the AT&T store you visit gives you a hassle, try another. Also remember that buying from the Microsoft store is an option, too...
    And what if i will order it online?
  6. ygtgngr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    171 Posts
    #6  
    Try ebay amazon or negri electronics for unlocked 1020 it will cost around $700 but you can use it with every carrier without a certain plan
    Thanked by:
  7. nola75's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    64 Posts
    #7  
    If you can buy it online at Microsoft without providing account details at the time of purchase then that is a pretty good indication that the "replacement phone" option doesn't require an AT&T account. I recently bought an 820 that way because I need a device with an SD card for my music collection. No one asked for my account information and AT&T sent me unlock information almost immediately when I made an online request. I do have an account with them but Microsoft didn't know that. It helped with the unlock request from AT&T though.
    Thanked by:
  8. hysonmb's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    68 Posts
    #8  
    I've bought 2 521s for my kids off contract and there is no account requirement. You don't even have to use a Microsoft account on the device if you don't want to but you won't get Store access, etc.
    I have them set up for WiFi only in the house and they use the phones as game / music devices.
    I'm about to head to the MS store this afternoon to pick up a replacement Lumia 1020, they have a better deal than the AT&T store, and I have no intention of activating it until I get home. I'll let you know how that works out if interested.
    Thanked by:
  9. bawboh86's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    566 Posts
    Global Posts
    786 Global Posts
    #9  
    Call AT&T instead of going into a store. Then, you can buy an AT&T Lumia 1020 from ANYWHERE you want, and have an unlock code. The stores will force account info from you, but the phone reps will not. There's a couple of threads on WPCentral about people doing it this way.
    Thanked by:
  10. hysonmb's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    68 Posts
    #10  
    I just got back from the MS store. The free camera grip is only if you're getting a new 2 year agreement.
    The first thing they asked me when I told them I wanted the phone is if I would be activating it there or not so there's no problem walking in and grabbing one without activating.
    I didn't buy it, but, the opportunity is there.
    Thanked by:
  11. bawboh86's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    566 Posts
    Global Posts
    786 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by hysonmb View Post
    I just got back from the MS store. The free camera grip is only if you're getting a new 2 year agreement.
    Huh. I got one and didn't have to start a contract. I also got a $50 gift card with it. The promotional materials they were provided just says "with the purchase of a phone" so I didn't even have to fight for it. Also, if you go through the site, they automatically add a free camera grip with or without a contract.
    Thanked by:
    hysonmb likes this.
  12. hysonmb's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    68 Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bawboh86 View Post
    Huh. I got one and didn't have to start a contract. I also got a $50 gift card with it. The promotional materials they were provided just says "with the purchase of a phone" so I didn't even have to fight for it. Also, if you go through the site, they automatically add a free camera grip with or without a contract.
    Sounds like the guys at my store were wrong... I'm going to call MS and see what they say on the phone. Maybe I'll just have them send me one since shipping is free anyway.
    Thanks.

    edit: I contact Microsoft and they were supposed to include the grip. This is seriously frustrating, I wasted a lot of time today driving out there for nothing all because the employees were uninformed.
    Last edited by hysonmb; 08-12-2013 at 03:53 PM.
  13. bawboh86's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    566 Posts
    Global Posts
    786 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by hysonmb View Post
    Sounds like the guys at my store were wrong... I'm going to call MS and see what they say on the phone. Maybe I'll just have them send me one since shipping is free anyway.
    Thanks.

    edit: I contact Microsoft and they were supposed to include the grip. This is seriously frustrating, I wasted a lot of time today driving out there for nothing all because the employees were uninformed.
    Yeah, I feel your pain. The closest one to me is an hour and a half away, and if they tried to tell me no, I'd be pretty pissed, too. Well, were you at least able to get it worked out over the phone with MS? :D
  14. hysonmb's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    68 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bawboh86 View Post
    Yeah, I feel your pain. The closest one to me is an hour and a half away, and if they tried to tell me no, I'd be pretty pissed, too. Well, were you at least able to get it worked out over the phone with MS? :D
    After talking with the rep I called the store back just to let them know about it. They guy I contacted talked to a manager who went and presumably called someone higher up then called me back to apologize. They offered to have it ready for me to walk in and grab one but there was no way I was making that trip again anytime soon so I just placed the order online.
    BTW- shipping isn't free even though the site says: "Free shipping. Free returns. On everything." It's only $10 for overnight so it's no deal breaker but it's not free.

    Back to the topic at hand though, yes- you can get one without activating on AT&T... myth CONFIRMED!
    Thanked by:
    bawboh86 likes this.
  15. kenstockwell's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    #15  
    I bought my 1020 from the ms store in natick ma on sat. They gave me the same story about camera grip. I spoke with the manager and pulled up their website and showed them that there was no mention of the contract requirement. They backed down and said that they would contact the web admins and have it changed (sure......). Got the phone + grip but no other offers.
  16. bawboh86's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    566 Posts
    Global Posts
    786 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by kenstockwell View Post
    I bought my 1020 from the ms store in natick ma on sat. They gave me the same story about camera grip. I spoke with the manager and pulled up their website and showed them that there was no mention of the contract requirement. They backed down and said that they would contact the web admins and have it changed (sure......). Got the phone + grip but no other offers.
    The site admins are going to laugh at those store reps if they actually call. The promo isn't meant to be with a contract, just a phone purchase. *shakes head* I think MS needs to train their reps better, sometimes. Like I said, my store was great about it, but I can't believe that I'm reading other stores are refusing it...
  17. Russ Burke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
    #17  
    Ok old guy here, if I buy the phone and not any contracts can I still take photos and upload to my computer with wifi? As well any apps I can ise wifi connection and no monthly fees? Thanks
  18. Alan delon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
       #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Burke View Post
    Ok old guy here, if I buy the phone and not any contracts can I still take photos and upload to my computer with wifi? As well any apps I can ise wifi connection and no monthly fees? Thanks
    yes, WiFi=Wireless Internet so it's not related to the cellular company and it's for free..
  19. JaimitoFrog's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    255 Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by bawboh86 View Post
    The site admins are going to laugh at those store reps if they actually call. The promo isn't meant to be with a contract, just a phone purchase. *shakes head* I think MS needs to train their reps better, sometimes. Like I said, my store was great about it, but I can't believe that I'm reading other stores are refusing it...
    grip is part of any purchase, but the $50 coupon is only with new 2 yr contracts. you got lucky.
  20. #20  
    I bought my 1020 from Amazon.com for $670.
    Unlock codes are available on eBay for $2.94.
    I did not have to unlock it because it worked with my Consumer Cellular SIM card.
    My monthly Consumer Cellular bill for 2 phones is only $50 including all taxes and fees.
    That includes a $2.50 (shared) data plan (10 mb + 100 text messages).
    I never go over my data allowance because I only use it on Wi Fi.

Similar Threads

  1. Emails and responding to ISP email account emails
    By scamper2 in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-15-2013, 07:16 AM
  2. Can"t seem to buy any app. Error code: 805a0194
    By descabar in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2013, 03:42 AM
  3. Lumia 920 buying help
    By mjaiteh in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-12-2013, 03:48 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-12-2013, 08:34 AM
  5. A question for those who have heat issues
    By pinturicchio_10 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-12-2013, 08:12 AM

Posting Permissions

B