Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Anyone have serious issues scanning these things? The camera seems to move in and out of focus constantly. I am aware of the minimum focus distance issues, it's not that. Generally I can get it to finally (after 15-20 seconds) lock on target. Tate GS4 and iPhone scanning are damn near instant.
    Are you using in-built Bing vision or some app?
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

Same problem here when using the built in QR code scanner, it makes scanning smaller codes difficult. Larger QR code are fine, because you can hold the phone far away enough to let the phone focus. But smaller QR codes, you either have to hold them too close to let the phone focus, or hold it far away enough to focus, but then it's too small for the phone to process the code.

Maybe Nokia could push an update to let us zoom in on the codes? That way, we can hold it far away enough to focus, then use lossless zoom to make the code big enough to scan.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Real bad when doing price checking on amazon app.

Global Posts
    3,276 Global Posts
    Small codes are useless on MyFitnessPal. By the time I get far enough away to focus, it can't read it. Luckily I haven't had to use it much

This is a great scanning app which captured codes that no other app could QR Code Generator and Barcode Scanner | Scan
  7. PYY

The one on MyFitnessPal is atrocious for me. When it is finally able to focus, the app crashes on me :(

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimSwim View Post
    Same problem here when using the built in QR code scanner, it makes scanning smaller codes difficult. Larger QR code are fine, because you can hold the phone far away enough to let the phone focus. But smaller QR codes, you either have to hold them too close to let the phone focus, or hold it far away enough to focus, but then it's too small for the phone to process the code.

Maybe Nokia could push an update to let us zoom in on the codes? That way, we can hold it far away enough to focus, then use lossless zoom to make the code big enough to scan.
    So you mean this is caused by just the size of the QR Code?

I've also got this problem finding it impossible to scan QR codes, they all appear really fuzzy and blurry,

Id imagine the only way i could successfully scan one is if the code was painted on a giant wall

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyse View Post
    So you mean this is caused by just the size of the QR Code?
    Not exactly. The fault lies with the camera's optics. Sure, it lets you take great shots, but the minimum focus distance is rather high for a smartphone camera, meaning it struggles to focus on QR codes that would otherwise work on a smartphone.

And then if you hold it far away enough to focus, often you're too far back for the Bing app (or any app, for that matter) to make out the code.
    *Signature goes here*

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    What usually works for me is opening the bing vision AFTER the camera is already facing the barcode.

Have you tried "Manual Scan" on Windows Phone, it might help you when auto scan fails. It gives you tool to zoom and scan, capture and scan, and select area and scan. However, please use it only when auto scanning fails as it is not designed to perform auto scan, only manual mode: tap to scan. Manual Scan | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Quote Originally Posted by videian View Post
    Anyone have serious issues scanning these things? The camera seems to move in and out of focus constantly. I am aware of the minimum focus distance issues, it's not that. Generally I can get it to finally (after 15-20 seconds) lock on target. Tate GS4 and iPhone scanning are damn near instant.
    Hi,
    The problem you described is caused by the minimum focusing distance of the camera lens. you might increase the distance between camera and the object to scan. however, as bing vision does not support zooming feature, longer distance might cause failure of scanning for barcode or QR code due to too small object. In such case, you should try app like "Manual Scan" which is designed to solve such issue when auto scan fails. Manual Scan | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

I have the same problem but it was working fine when I first got my phone. After one year or so my phone stopped working with the bar codes.

There should be something that changed but I don't know what.

Mine locks on the spot. :) less than 5 seconds or 3 .