I've had my 1020 since launch day and already have ~5-6 light scratches on the screen. I've never used a screen protector on my previous 2 phones (Samsung Focus S and before that and iPhone 3Gs), but didn't have any troubles with those. I tend to be quite careful of my screen. I never keep my phone in the same pocket as keys or change (or anything, really). I never lay it down on the screen side.

I thought that this new version of Gorilla Glass was supposed to be more resistant to scratches? Anyone else finding their screens to be overly-sensitive to scratches? I might resort to using a screen protector, but I really like the feel of this screen and would also not want to lose any clarity. Any recommendations of a top-notch screen protector that doesn't sacrifice in these areas??
    Quote Originally Posted by VelcroBP View Post
    I've had my 1020 since launch day and already have ~5-6 light scratches on the screen. I've never used a screen protector on my previous 2 phones (Samsung Focus S and before that and iPhone 3Gs), but didn't have any troubles with those. I tend to be quite careful of my screen. I never keep my phone in the same pocket as keys or change (or anything, really). I never lay it down on the screen side.

I thought that this new version of Gorilla Glass was supposed to be more resistant to scratches? Anyone else finding their screens to be overly-sensitive to scratches? I might resort to using a screen protector, but I really like the feel of this screen and would also not want to lose any clarity. Any recommendations of a top-notch screen protector that doesn't sacrifice in these areas??
    It's the oleophobic coating that scratches, not the screen. So yes GG is scratch resistant, not scratch proof though.
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

Do you pocket or belt holster? I holster mine - huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    It's the oleophobic coating that scratches, not the screen. So yes GG is scratch resistant, not scratch proof though.
    is there anyway to polish out the slight scratches of the coating then??
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Walsh View Post
    is there anyway to polish out the slight scratches of the coating then??
    Was hoping GG 3 to make screen protector unnecessary.

Seems I was wrong.

There're few guides on YouTube - claiming you could polish them away - haven't tried it myself, suspect it might be some people trying to get you to buy their kit. ( )

Conversely if you ignore the scratches that are there - and put on a screen protector from now on - it would be probably worth it. With AMOLED and WP8 software, it's quite difficult to see scratches unless you're on an all white site.

Huh. I have mine in my pocket all the time and haven't gotten any scratches. Do you also put other metal objects in there as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncled1023 View Post
    Huh. I have mine in my pocket all the time and haven't gotten any scratches. Do you also put other metal objects in there as well?
    It's usually the micro dust in the pocket that rub between the metal and the phone which causes the damage.

you must have razor blade, nails, needles and all kinds of crazy things in your pocket with the phone or something. my phone even dropped once already, and no scratch.

My 920 has countless very shallow tiny scratches. Despite being cared for better than any phone I owned previously. I was very concerned and am using a screen protector with my 1020. I am not a believer in GG after my 920. (Even though the 1020 is the newest generation of GG)

Some of you have to be over-sensitive to this. I haven't been exactly gentle with my L920 and only have two really small scratches near the bottom of the screen. They are not even noticable unless I look at it really close.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...
    Quote Originally Posted by coteganut View Post
    you must have razor blade, nails, needles and all kinds of crazy things in your pocket with the phone or something. my phone even dropped once already, and no scratch.
    I've dropped my phone on road thrice, no scratches on screen. Body is dented but that's it!
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

Mine has very light scratches and I've never dropped my phone or exposed it to any sharp pocket items. My phone looks brand new except for the light scratches. I would be willing to bet I am far more anal than most taking care of my phone and I still have scratches.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Guess I'll buy a screen protector then. Was going to go naked for the first time, but these kind of posts kind of force me to want to get one.

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I bought a 521 right when they came out and haven't yet gotten a screen protector. No scratches so far that I can see.

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    My 520 has no scratches on the screen or case. IM quite scared about getting them, will ruin my pretty screen lol

My 920 had many very slight scratches. The 1020 has a protector because of that. Very pleased with it.

Sent from my 1020 using Tapatalk

This is very sad. My lumia 1020 has like a dozen light scratches on the screen. Not very noticeable, but they're there. My wife has been using the 520 for some time now, the handling is quite rough but there is not a single scratch on the screen despite the body already getting dented a bit. I was so impressed that I invested in a 1020. I treat it like a baby, but somehow, it still gets those scratches. Like I said, almost not noticeable, but a bit disappointing that I will now most likely need to get a screen protector..

people need to understand that even dust can scratch your gorilla glass , yep that's right dust can be made up from many many different particles including things like quartz and other particles that will easily scratch gorilla glass if they meet each other with any force or resistance

so all it takes is 1 speck of dust with a tough article in it to be rubbed across your screen as you wipe it with a cloth and boom little scratches will appear , its the same as polishing a car and the polish cloth has a tiny speck of dirt in it , the paintwork will receive micro scratches

now gorilla glass is tough but there are other things on the hardness scale that are tougher and will easily scratch gorilla glass ...... dust can be one of them depending on what it contains

this is why I always use a screen protector as you can treat your phone like a baby and one day notice little scratches and it can be very disheartening indeed specially when such good care has been taken of the device , however its the luck of the draw , some phones wont get scratched some will depending on what they comes across in their time , the only advice is to use a protector or be prepared for micro scratches to the screen one day ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Spencer View Post
    Was hoping GG 3 to make screen protector unnecessary.

Seems I was wrong.

There're few guides on YouTube - claiming you could polish them away - haven't tried it myself, suspect it might be some people trying to get you to buy their kit. ( )

Conversely if you ignore the scratches that are there - and put on a screen protector from now on - it would be probably worth it. With AMOLED and WP8 software, it's quite difficult to see scratches unless you're on an all white site.
    I find this racist.

I never used a screen protector on my N8 and it did get scratched. I do use one on my 1020, it doesn't go to the edge of the screen and there is quite a noticeable scratch in the gap.
    I keep it in my pocket or bag, no keys or anything else near it, as I'm paranoid about the camera glass. I do place it face down on the screen.

Global Posts
    1,322 Global Posts
    I just got a 1020 yet installing a screen protector was pretty much the first thing I did after u boxing the unit. My former Nokia E7, as well as my current and past work supplied phone, were equipped with Gorilla Glass displays. All of them collected very fine scratches during the usage times, even though I usually treat my phones quite carefully, for example I never put them into pockets with other objects.

Around the web you can find information's regarding GG and scratches. As already said by others here, Gorilla Glass can scratch pretty easy when being scratched by the wrong dust particles. Using a screen protector is still the only way to make sure your screens stay in mint conditions!

I am on to my 3rd 1020, having gone through two replacements. The first one I had for probably 3 months and treated it very carefully. It had zero scratches. Latest replacement I have had only a couple of weeks and I noticed yesterday the screen has quite a few small scratches already, which I find very strange as I am still very careful with it.

This makes me wonder whether there is variability across individual phones, either different hardware versions or slight differences in manufacturing of the glass. Otherwise I cannot explain how my latest phone has these scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by LMKz View Post
    I am on to my 3rd 1020, having gone through two replacements. The first one I had for probably 3 months and treated it very carefully. It had zero scratches. Latest replacement I have had only a couple of weeks and I noticed yesterday the screen has quite a few small scratches already, which I find very strange as I am still very careful with it.

This makes me wonder whether there is variability across individual phones, either different hardware versions or slight differences in manufacturing of the glass. Otherwise I cannot explain how my latest phone has these scratches.
    because the air contains different dust particles and some of them contain things that are tougher then gorilla glass so when you clean your phone screen with this dust on it will leave micro scratches , like swirls on a cars paint that can only be seen in the right light , you might have treated the phone like a baby and been extra carefull with the device but all it takes is 1 dust particle with a bit of quartz/sand etc in it and boom your screen could easily get a small scratch ...... earings are another reason , people forget that precious stones can be tougher then gorilla glass and scratch it easily when in contact with it ...... its scratch resistant not scratch proof which is a dam shame as a scratch proof display would rock ;-)

this is why I always use a screen protector because you can treat the phone as good as possible but still end up with a small scratch to it :-/