Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By pearyy
  • 2 Post By upadhyerohan
  • 2 Post By MAERSK

1020 provides two ratios for photo: 4:3 (38MP) & 16:9 (34MP). This figure shows how it works:
    http://www.extremetech.com/wp-conten...on-diagram.jpg

It's hard to decide which one to use (sensor is 3:2). 4:3 maximizes height, while 16:9 maximizes width. So folks which ratio r u using? Appreciate any thoughts/comments. Thanks!

Although the 4:3 ratio offers more pixels, I would say that most people prefer the 16:9 because it gives a wider view.
    WixosTrix likes this.

Since people can resize photos however they want after the fact, I wish there was some way to use the whole phone's sensor and figure it out later...
    personally, I am using 4:3.

4:3 Aspect ratio was used in older TV versions now a days most of the screens are using 16:9 ratio. Most of the wide screen LED TV and PC, LAPs monitor are 16:9 ratio when you are watching your photos which are 4:3 ratio on LED TV's a black strip arises on both side to fill the empty space If you are using 16:9 the phto is displayed on the whole screen though 16:9 shows less MP they are visulalized much better on LED screens. It would be better to save a wallpaper on your laptop or destop if you are taking photos in 16:9 ratio. My HDTV has 16.9 ratio, which I assume is better to view full 1920 X 1080 HD. 16:9 is good for videos and photos but for ebooks 4:3 uis better one.
    May this reply would help you in choosing the ratio I tried using this thing on my camera.
    Laura Knotek and Jaripi like this.

Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Choose based on what you are taking a photo of, I switch between the 2 setting as needed based on the subject matter.

Quote Originally Posted by si49 View Post
    I wish there was some way to use the whole phone's sensor and figure it out later...
    personally, I am using 4:3.
    Can't take circle photos
    WixosTrix and B1zzle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MAERSK View Post
    Can't take circle photos
    The sensor isn't a circle actually. According to Nokia's old camera boss Damian Dinning (very active in twitter), the full 41MP photos simply isn't even offered as a option there were dark areas towards the outermost parts of the photos.

With 808 PureView you can actually take full 41MP pictures.

Walking on the wild side: upping the Nokia 808 to full 41MP status?

Quote Originally Posted by tissotti View Post
    The sensor isn't a circle actually. According to Nokia's old camera boss Damian Dinning (very active in twitter), the full 41MP sensor simply isn't even offered as there were dark areas towards the outermost parts of the sensor.

With 808 PureView you can actually take full 41MP pictures.

Walking on the wild side: upping the Nokia 808 to full 41MP status?
    Yes, I think Maersk is aware the sensor isn't a circle..that's why you can't take circle photos ;) The light path is circular..and so if you want to maintain one of those 2 aspect ratios you necessarily via geometry are going to underutilize the sensor. The hack/mod you posted is interesting but of questionable value since it simply allows the sensor to create data from areas not receiving direct light..and what little illumination does fall on those pixels is composed of refracted/reflected/scattered photons so not so helpful in the overall image. But as an example of what one can do in Symbian sans the more extensively locked-down environment of WP8..yeah it's pretty cool.
    Thanked by:
    MAERSK 

I really prefer 16:9 ... maybe just in some certain case, I might use 4:3 and then I swich back to 16:9

"upadhyerohan" explained it pretty well, 5 messages up ... and I think that too, that the wider photos look better :)

4:3 takes better looking photos, especially if you print your photos out. 16:9 is better for video. I think 16:9 is weird for photos unless the target is the landscape.