Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    So let's throw out current WP users as, we all can admit, there aren't that many of. Those people probably will upgrade to the 1020.

Let's say you're an iPhone user, Android user, or a dumbphone user, and you want to upgrade/get a new phone. You go into the AT&T store and you're like "man I love taking photos with my phone" so you tell that to the sales person. They go "great, we have just the phone, the Lumia 1020". You get excited, you learn about features, and then you ask how much it is. The sales person responds :

"$299, on contract for 2 years. Plus $36 fee to upgrade. Plus taxes. Oh and you'll want this $80 camera grip for the true experience".

My best is 95% of people who hear that will quickly respond "yeah, I like taking pictures on my phone, but I don't like it at that price. Any other phones have good cameras?". And then they move on to the GS4 and HTC One for $99 and they're sold.

At $99 or, better yet, FREE on contract, people might have been standing in LINES for this thing. At the current price, its really going to flop. I think this phone will be the biggest Windows Phone flop we've seen yet, and it just might be the thing that forces MS to buy Nokia.
    Rem97 likes this.
    The 1020 is arguably for the more serious photographer. Surely the sales rep would go, "Okay if $299 is a no-go maybe you'd consider the 'younger brother' of the 1020 - the 920 or the 925 for $49 or $99" ?

Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    Amazon will be selling this for way less.
    ninjaap likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    A factor is going to be how they advertise and market this. If they get commercials out there that show the stuff they demo'd today, that's going to attract some people beyond the serious photographer.
    tissotti and Cellus13 like this.

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Yah i agree, if this was at the $199 price point it would be a competitor bought at this price point no way.

Honestly i am starting to get real bummed out at this point about windows phone. It just doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
    dgr_874 likes this.

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    You should thank god be living in countries when can purchase that phone at $ 299!

Here in Argentina, TODAY Nokia released Lumia 920 at u$s 500 WITH CONTRACT (Movistar)...

So if in my country Lumia 1020 cost $299 i would be crying of happiness at the same time that i would be ordering it...

Regards from Argentina and appreciate what you have, a tremendous smartphone with a gorgeous camera!!!
    Last edited by Jonathan Piferrer; 07-12-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    I am not a serious photographer, but I will buy it because I want good photos and videos by my cp and Lumia 1020 seems to be the best for that ...

Okay, you all say that it's not gonna compete with that price point, but look at the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the iPhone 5. Those phones, on contract, cost way more than the Lumia 1020. Granted, I think it should be a bit lower as well, but I think it's just as fine to compete with those other phones.

Compete with what? What other smartphones are practically designed to be replacements for cameras? This isn't for your average Joe. This is for casual photographers.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScreenSaver24 View Post
    Yah i agree, if this was at the $199 price point it would be a competitor bought at this price point no way.

Honestly i am starting to get real bummed out at this point about windows phone. It just doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
    I feel we are going somewhere we are getting tones of apps now compared to last year

I used to be a photographer for a newspaper. Each of my SLR lenses costs much more than the 1020 off contract. The whole reason I moved to WP from Android was for the 920's camera. However, it didn't hurt that I got the 920 "free" from Walmart during their sale. The 1020 has me crazy excited, but I cannot justify $300 on contract for a phone. I'll wait for a sale and the price to reach $100 at most. Obviously, this is simply my position, and I don't claim to speak for other photographers.

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    $299 on contract is steep if you only compare prices on contract. The Galaxy s4 ranged from 199-249 on contract and could get away with only because the name and popularity. This is a niche device and there probably is no expectation it will sell like gangbusters. This is the first Windows Phone with a camera this advanced and it will pave the way for next line of devices that will be offered at a lower price point. New tech always costs more at first. Who would not want to see it priced lower. We are the consumer and we want something for less. You are paying for a top shelf camera......on a phone. Also to think this device would be "free" on contract at release?! What!
    There are always things to complain about, on every OS, phone, etc. Unfortunatly more complain than discuss.

Global Posts
    2,356 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkevbosky View Post
    So let's throw out current WP users as, we all can admit, there aren't that many of. Those people probably will upgrade to the 1020.

Let's say you're an iPhone user, Android user, or a dumbphone user, and you want to upgrade/get a new phone. You go into the AT&T store and you're like "man I love taking photos with my phone" so you tell that to the sales person. They go "great, we have just the phone, the Lumia 1020". You get excited, you learn about features, and then you ask how much it is. The sales person responds :

"$299, on contract for 2 years. Plus $36 fee to upgrade. Plus taxes. Oh and you'll want this $80 camera grip for the true experience".

My best is 95% of people who hear that will quickly respond "yeah, I like taking pictures on my phone, but I don't like it at that price. Any other phones have good cameras?". And then they move on to the GS4 and HTC One for $99 and they're sold.

At $99 or, better yet, FREE on contract, people might have been standing in LINES for this thing. At the current price, its really going to flop. I think this phone will be the biggest Windows Phone flop we've seen yet, and it just might be the thing that forces MS to buy Nokia.
    Why wont people move on to the phone with the accepted best smartphone camera now, the 920? And do you really think Nokia's future hinges on this one device? The 925, 928 & 920 are still there for those who cant afford the 1020 and later on this year will be phones with upgraded specs apart from the camera which will still be the selling point of the 1020. So Nokia will be fine. Why does everyone believe MS buying Nokia is some magic bullet to solve everything?
    Thanked by:
    cckgz4, tissotti, a5cent and 3 others like this.

I'm caught in a rather nasty situation here, since I'm stuck on 7.8 with my current phone and desperately want to get the best WP8 device that I can get on my carrier (AT&T, obviously, or I wouldn't be looking at this phone), but I only get paid for part of the summer and my money just dried up today. As is, I've only scrounged together a third of the price and can't possibly have it all by release day. I've psyched myself up for months about getting this thing (after getting over the disappointment over the fact that, no, I'm not getting a 925 or 928 without paying a king's ransom for unlocked), and yet now, on the eve of release, I'm up the proverbial creek without a paddle. The best I can do is hope to get the thing as a gift, or simply let myself be disappointed and wait.

That said, had I still been getting my salary by this point, I'd have paid ANY price for it.
    MFmonster likes this.

Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    The first wave of people who are going to buy this are WP diehards and people looking to try out camera+phone concepts... With time its price will go down so as to widen the scope of the market, it's always been like this.

It will probably be dropped eventually in 2 or 3 months so that it can compete more with everything else. Also, many vendors will sell it for less, but I agree that in actual brick and mortar stores, it won't sell so well because of the inflated price. It will drop eventually, but I hope that it is not too late. At a good price, this phone can be solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muessig View Post
    The 1020 is arguably for the more serious photographer. Surely the sales rep would go, "Okay if $299 is a no-go maybe you'd consider the 'younger brother' of the 1020 - the 920 or the 925 for $49 or $99" ?
    Not in any AT&T store I've been to. They may not even mention the 1020 & if they do, they likely won't mention the 920 after.

Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    Why wont people move on to the phone with the accepted best smartphone camera now, the 920? And do you really think Nokia's future hinges on this one device? The 925, 928 & 920 are still there for those who cant afford the 1020 and later on this year will be phones with upgraded specs apart from the camera which will still be the selling point of the 1020. So Nokia will be fine. Why does everyone believe MS buying Nokia is some magic bullet to solve everything?
    But Nokia has had the best cameras in every phone for YEARS and it hasn't made much of a dent. People are "ok" getting by with the 13mp camera in the GS4 or the 8mp camera in the iPhone 5.

I don't think MS buying Nokia helps anything, I just think it keeps Nokia from going belly up.

Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MFmonster View Post
    $299 on contract is steep if you only compare prices on contract. The Galaxy s4 ranged from 199-249 on contract and could get away with only because the name and popularity. This is a niche device and there probably is no expectation it will sell like gangbusters. This is the first Windows Phone with a camera this advanced and it will pave the way for next line of devices that will be offered at a lower price point. New tech always costs more at first. Who would not want to see it priced lower. We are the consumer and we want something for less. You are paying for a top shelf camera......on a phone. Also to think this device would be "free" on contract at release?! What!
    There are always things to complain about, on every OS, phone, etc. Unfortunatly more complain than discuss.
    But in an AT&T store you are comparing prices on contract, and that is where my point comes from. In the US, few people buy off contract, so the on contract price is everything.

The GS4 and iPhone can get away with $249, $299, whatever, because they've earned that reputation. No Windows Phone has. If you're selling an advanced camera phone and it's called "iCamera" or "Galaxy Zoom", it sells BECAUSE of the name. Nobody in the US gives two turds about the Lumia name. I work at one of the USA's largest airports, and I'm out amongst passengers from all over the world every day, and I RARELY see Windows Phone devices, even on flights that originate from overseas. Nobody is buying these things.

Look, it may seem like I'm rooting against Windows Phone, but I'm not. I'm frustrated because they keep MISSING golden opportunities, and the BIGGEST golden opportunity in the USA is all based around money. Nobody cares about your 41 MP camera when you're charging $299 for the damn thing. Its like if HTC included a bunch of Beats hardware with a phone but charged $499 for it - nobody would buy it based on "awesome audio quality". Those types of gimmicks don't sell phones.

At $299 I'd expect it to come with the Camera Grip accessory free, and then it's maybe feasable. But $299 for just the phone, no wireless charging plate, no anything, is overpriced. It just is.
    Thanked by:
    Dazzi likes this.

some graveyard shifts at McDonalds for a month or two and with some luck there should be a sale of some sort then you'll be all set :) (or I could lend you the money for 300% interest :P)
    theefman likes this.

Global Posts
    1,401 Global Posts
    From reading some of the text on the live blog, this is clearly not going to compete mainstream, this is a niche product for them which is why they priced as such. There will be limited inventory i would assume.

I expect a cheaper version for next gen though later this year or next year at a more reasonable $199 price point

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I really like the quality of Nokia phones and want this company to stay in business. That said, the lack of optimized Windows Phone apps for things like YouTube, Instagram, and most banks makes me consider going Android now and then. And you've got to know that Microsoft could, at any moment, just give up on Windows Phone entirely and announce a series of 5 inch and 7 inch Surface phablets running Windows 8 and Windows RT.
    Quote Originally Posted by ianberg View Post
    I really like the quality of Nokia phones and want this company to stay in business. That said, the lack of optimized Windows Phone apps for things like YouTube, Instagram, and most banks makes me consider going Android now and then. And you've got to know that Microsoft could, at any moment, just give up on Windows Phone entirely and announce a series of 5 inch and 7 inch Surface phablets running Windows 8 and Windows RT.
    The idea that Microsoft could bail any minute is beyond ridiculous. Just recently Microsoft considered purchasing Nokia. That deal would have cost Microsoft billions. No company considers spending that amount of cash in a market they are expecting to exit any moment.

I had to get that off my chest, despite it not having anything to do with the price of the L1020.
    airwolf878 likes this.

I think all you haters are gonna end up eating your words for both Nokia and WP in general.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...

Quote Originally Posted by bigkevbosky View Post
    But Nokia has had the best cameras in every phone for YEARS and it hasn't made much of a dent. People are "ok" getting by with the 13mp camera in the GS4 or the 8mp camera in the iPhone 5.

I don't think MS buying Nokia helps anything, I just think it keeps Nokia from going belly up.
    Not on Windows Phone no, but naturally on Symbian side N95 sold 16 million at 600 euros and N8 has sold over 10 million with camera being main attraction. Even 808 with being only new device on Symbian for over a year after the platform was announced death in 2011, the operating system was still selling more than WP Q2 last year.

Cameras can absolutely sell phones and they do, but the operating system needs to get going on first.

Personally don't really care about how locked contract price as this only concerns US. I will be paying 599 euros price for it like every other flagship or get it from multiple operators with different offers, like Lumia 920. Cheapness of US customers amazes me at times when it comes to initial price. :D With the current model you just end up paying more thanks to the higher data costs to Europe. Resulted by the domination and control of couple of carriers.
    Last edited by tissotti; 07-11-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast