Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Picked up a 64 GB RT tonight. I've only had it a couple of hours and I can't believe I didn't do this sooner!
    Instant observations-

• It's a frekin' PC. My dependency is with web based apps (facebook, gmail, etc) and with a complete web browser, this just blows iOS out of the water!
    • X86 apps aren't as important to me as I thought. I have splashtop installed to remote into my 8.1 desktop so it's (almost) like having a surface pro.
    • Tegra 3 isn't THAT bad. I've had a tendency to forget a mobile CPU is powering all of this.
    • A lot of Windows 8 Apps are actually prettier and more functional than their iOS counterpart.
    • Full Office anyone?

This, paired with my Lumia 1020 is an awesome combination. I can't wait for Windows 8.1 to take it to the next level. :)
    I'm glad you are liking your new Surface RT.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,860 Global Posts
    Good stuff... Glad to hear you're enjoying your new toy!

WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod

Sir, i'm thinking to buy a desktop pc and also thought to ditch my win8 laptop for a win8 tablet. And i have htc 8x. I would like to have a complete win8 experience. So, after your experience, Which one is suitable? Win8 desktop for work, rt for portability or win8 tablet for seamless working? (i mean, when u at home, you use desktop win8, and when you are outside, use win8 tablet to cont working). Or, is it already enough with rt? Thank you

Welcome to the enlightened club.

Sat here working on my RT writing a Word doc while listening to free music, checking news, reviewing PowerPoints and PDFs to include in the doc. My PCs a little busy loading 8.1 RTM so thought I'd switch over for the evening.

Having a full web experience really helps. I like pairing my BT mouse too. Makes for the full PC replacement.
    Thanked by:
    inteller and HappyFuture like this.
    Very glad to hear that you are pleased with your RT. It is a little wonder machine and can do pretty much everything that a low end PC can do!!

Nevica

I would say for your use case scenerio, one 'Pro' or x86 tablet would get the job done. You would have one machine and if you want a "desktop" experience, you can connect the tablet to an external monitor and keyboard/mouse. Take the money you would spend on two devices and get the best tablet device whether it be a surface pro with i5 or an atom based tablet.

Wait until Oct 18 though when Haswell based i5 and Bay Trail Atom machines come out.

I simply couldn't wait so there's a good chance depending on what Microsoft announces next week, I may be returning this RT and holding out for the upgraded models. Either way, I'm done with iOS and I wish more people would realize you're getting a much more 'complete' experience with Windows 8.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by PCUser271 View Post
    Sir, i'm thinking to buy a desktop pc and also thought to ditch my win8 laptop for a win8 tablet. And i have htc 8x. I would like to have a complete win8 experience. So, after your experience, Which one is suitable? Win8 desktop for work, rt for portability or win8 tablet for seamless working? (i mean, when u at home, you use desktop win8, and when you are outside, use win8 tablet to cont working). Or, is it already enough with rt? Thank you
    Thanked by:
    PCUser271 and HappyFuture like this.

I did this, abolishing Apple from my life, last December and have never looked back.

I really like my Surface RT and my wife has one that she uses all the time as well.
    Infinidim
    aximtreo and bruceabbott2 like this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,755 Global Posts
    I use remote desktop to access my desktop plus the servers at work. Once 8.1 comes out with Outlook so that I can connect to the exchange server, I might just retire my laptop.
    evilrob likes this.

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Congrats man, after years of owning a Macbook Pro/Air with Windows on it I got rid of all my Apple tech late last year and haven't looked back. Now if I could just find something to replace my 64GB iPod......
    Nokia Lumia 1520 RM-937 w/ 64GB MicroSD card
    Microsoft Surface 2 32GB w/ Type Cover 2

Smartphone History: iPhone 3G 8GB -> iPhone 4 8GB -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Nexus S -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Lumia 900 -> Lumia 920 -> Lumia 1520

My Blog: PixelWin

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4...25834/xboxone/

Quote Originally Posted by Dos101 View Post
    Now if I could just find something to replace my 64GB iPod......
    520/521 with 64gb sdcard should work :-)
    Nokia Lumia 521 (GDR3/Black) - TMobile Prepaid Unlimited + 2.5gb Hotspot
    New-Nokia Lumia AT&T 520 - Net10 AT&T
    Broke - Focus Flash (Locked) OS=7.10.8862.14 (Net10 AT&T)
    Net10/Straight Talk AT&T Apn Data for Samsung Wireless Manager

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Corepc View Post
    520/521 with 64gb sdcard should work :-)
    If Windows Phone had good music management I would say yes. I already tried a Samsung Ativ S with a 64GBmicrosd card as my main music device. The result was a spectacular failure.

Smartphone History: iPhone 3G 8GB -> iPhone 4 8GB -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Nexus S -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Lumia 900 -> Lumia 920 -> Lumia 1520

Quote Originally Posted by realwarder View Post
    Welcome to the enlightened club.
    I hope we can nip this kind of thinking in the bud. While we may applaud his decisions regarding technology, let's not pretend that we have some sort of special knowledge that is inaccessible to those not in the MS ecosystem. That leads very quickly to the slavish devotion we see in Apple fanatics. Let's not encourage the same thing in our ecosystem, yes?

Windows 8.1 aims to fix this with the new Music app. I'm hopeful Joe Belfiore and crew will tackle this on the phone as well now that he's leading both groups. I'm looking forward to the convergence between the two platforms.

If Windows Phone had good music management I would say yes. I already tried a Samsung Ativ S with a 64GBmicrosd card as my main music device. The result was a spectacular failure.

Global Posts
    2,395 Global Posts
    Glad that you like it! I love mine too!

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruceabbott2 View Post
    Windows 8.1 aims to fix this with the new Music app. I'm hopeful Joe Belfiore and crew will tackle this on the phone as well now that he's leading both groups. I'm looking forward to the convergence between the two platforms.
    It's not the Windows Music app I have issues with, it's the Music app on Windows Phone that's been the pain, though there really isn't a good way to transfer music to Windows Phone in the first place (this is where I really miss the Zune software). The Music app on Windows Phone has been very poor at reading the metatdata for all my music, so I get multiple artists of the same name (just with slight differences), some music being where it shouldn't, and some music not recognized. The overall experience for it right now is very, very poor and frustrating.

Global Posts
    1,522 Global Posts
    It's not the Windows Music app I have issues with, it's the Music app on Windows Phone that's been the pain, though there really isn't a good way to transfer music to Windows Phone in the first place (this is where I really miss the Zune software). The Music app on Windows Phone has been very poor at reading the metatdata for all my music, so I get multiple artists of the same name (just with slight differences), some music being where it shouldn't, and some music not recognized. The overall experience for it right now is very, very poor and frustrating.
    I don't know how transferring music to your WP device could be any easier than loading your music library on your PC and copying to a micro-SD card. It took about 15 minutes to put about 5 days worth of music from iTunes to my L620.

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Transferring it wasn't the hard part, it was the Music app incorrectly reading certain songs and lumping into their own album, or showing it as unknown artist.

willied likes this.

Global Posts
    1,522 Global Posts
    Transferring it wasn't the hard part, it was the Music app incorrectly reading certain songs and lumping into their own album, or showing it as unknown artist.
    Your music catalog doesn't include P2P downloads does it? Nah. Of course not, wink-wink.

Global Posts
    709 Global Posts
    I agree with this. It's terrible compared to using Zune. I really wish they would bring the Zune software support back and rename it or something.
    Dos101 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,119 Global Posts
    Obviously. It has an unfair advantage, BECAUSE ITS A COMPUTER! And the iPad has full iWork, and iLife. I know it may sound like I am hating, but it just pisses me off, when someone insults Apple, and doesn't know the full story. All of those ads, with the RT tablet and the iPad, are all very uniformed. Ooo it has a kickstand, and a $120 keyboard cover, but the iPad just needs a smart cover, and an adapter set to use USB and SD cards. And who reads together, and then just randomly starts playing Halo. Meanwhile, it does not show the iPad playing infinity blade the iPad's exclusive game. Again, this sounds insulting, but I am trying my best not to make it sound that way. But congrats on the RT, I would like to have a Pro because of the Wacom Pen.
    LG VX8500>KIN ONEm>Palm Pixi Plus>KIN ONE>Palm Pixi Plus>Lumia 822
    >Droid X>Droid 1>Lumia 822>Droid 3>Lumia 822/iPhone 4/Veer 4G
    All on VZW except iPhone and Veer
    bruceabbott2 likes this.

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    Obviously. It has an unfair advantage, BECAUSE ITS A COMPUTER! And the iPad has full iWork, and iLife. I know it may sound like I am hating, but it just pisses me off, when someone insults Apple, and doesn't know the full story. All of those ads, with the RT tablet and the iPad, are all very uniformed. Ooo it has a kickstand, and a $120 keyboard cover, but the iPad just needs a smart cover, and an adapter set to use USB and SD cards. And who reads together, and then just randomly starts playing Halo. Meanwhile, it does not show the iPad playing infinity blade the iPad's exclusive game. Again, this sounds insulting, but I am trying my best not to make it sound that way. But congrats on the RT, I would like to have a Pro because of the Wacom Pen.
    It's a computer with the battery life and thinness of an iPad. I don't need an adapter set or a stupid cover or a Bluetooth keyboard or a case so I can prop it up when I'm not using it in my lap. I tried using an iPad, it's just not the same.

I will agree about music. Playlist management is a disaster. The Xbox Music app for iOS is better because at least you can remove a song from a playlist.
    Thanked by:
    willied likes this.
    Ambassador

Global Posts
    3,041 Global Posts
    If you're considering donating your Ios device, please don't donate it to me :p
    I'm sure you'll 1 small step towards 1 giant leap into wp ;)

I can make a custom wallpaper for you for no cost :) just hit me up & check my wallpaper thread - here
    My Comic Book - Its about Iphone 5s and Innovation Click here

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Honestly I think you made a mistake going with Surface RT. Windows RT for all intents and purposes was a stop gap/mistake by Microsoft. The same people crying for ARM support are the same people that didn't believe Intel or AMD could make a SOC with the power and performance levels of Temash or Baytrail.

I'm not saying that x86 support is necessary either, from a performance standpoint Intel will always be ahead of any of the ARM manufacturers in terms of CPU performance and Intel/AMD will be ahead in graphics too. The only thing stopping x86 from invading Android is the lack of cellular radios from AMD and Intel. Don't be surprised if most of the Android or Windows tablets in 2014 have Intel inside.
    bruceabbott2 likes this.

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    Your music catalog doesn't include P2P downloads does it? Nah. Of course not, wink-wink.
    Yup, as well as a lot of legitimate free music. I was hoping that since I'm importing through iTunes using the Windows Phone desktop app that all of the artist/album/song info and album art would be copied over as well, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast