Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...wnload-preview

Just a heads up, this will require 10GB of free space to install the preview.

https://twitter.com/MobileTechWorld/...427265/photo/1

This is going to be tricky free'ing up the space on my 32GB Surface RT, I've got 8.6GB free atm and that's after I've gone through and deleted a load of stuff.
    Last edited by EDDS; 06-26-2013 at 11:27 AM.
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    I got an email Friday to sign up for the 8.1 testing. Didn't see it until this morning, and when I clicked on the link it said the program was full. I was looking forward to giving it a run on my RT.
    While I can free up 10GB if I need to, I don't see why the beta wouldn't just overwrite the current install.

Quote Originally Posted by stmav View Post
    I got an email Friday to sign up for the 8.1 testing. Didn't see it until this morning, and when I clicked on the link it said the program was full. I was looking forward to giving it a run on my RT.
    Are you sure the email was legit? It's being called a public preview so anyone should be able to try it w/o having to sign up.

Global Posts
    7,945 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyCori View Post
    While I can free up 10GB if I need to, I don't see why the beta wouldn't just overwrite the current install.
    Everything that I've read makes it sound like it's going to be a 'upgrade' install, as if you were installing Windows 8 over Windows 7. So you're going to end up with a Windows.old folder for example, that contains the old stuff, etc.

Also, if you're trying to clear space to make room: the latest (June) updates changed the Servicing Stack so that Disk Cleanup can free more space. If you type "cleanmgr.exe" at the start screen and run as administrator, it should show you that you're going to clear up around 1.5GB in Windows Update Cleanup (at a minimum, depending on when the last time you've done this type of cleanup is). The one thing to keep in mind though is that while it's cleaning this up (only the first time after June's update), it'll take about two hours.
    Thanked by:
    Quote Originally Posted by EDDS View Post
    Are you sure the email was legit? It's being called a public preview so anyone should be able to try it w/o having to sign up.
    Yeah, last I heard 8.1 is going to be released in the Windows Store for everyone to download.

Global Posts
    7,945 Global Posts
    The email might be about a early released beta, sometimes people might get info from signing up for various programs at connect.microsoft.com or things like that... but yeah the preview will be available to the public.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Everything that I've read makes it sound like it's going to be a 'upgrade' install, as if you were installing Windows 8 over Windows 7. So you're going to end up with a Windows.old folder for example, that contains the old stuff, etc.

Also, if you're trying to clear space to make room: the latest (June) updates changed the Servicing Stack so that Disk Cleanup can free more space. If you type "cleanmgr.exe" at the start screen and run as administrator, it should show you that you're going to clear up around 1.5GB in Windows Update Cleanup (at a minimum, depending on when the last time you've done this type of cleanup is). The one thing to keep in mind though is that while it's cleaning this up (only the first time after June's update), it'll take about two hours.
    I have almost 9 gigs free now. It would just be a matter of uninstalling some of those games I don't play, lol. If there is a windows.old folder then I'll probably just delete it. Unless 8.1 is fundamentally broken, I don't see myself going back to regular 8. The changes in 8.1 are just too numerous and useful to warrant downgrading.

@jhoff80 thanks for the tip, I am up to date on updates and had not done a clean up before, I only had 600mb worth of space to free up, but that's better than nothing :P

I've noticed that my pictures app seems to be taking up 600mb as well (must be cache from skydrive) so I might temporarily uninstall that.

Global Posts
    2,481 Global Posts
    .aaaaaaand THIS is why I got a 64GB Surface.

won't be installing this though, because I read that all apps will have to be reinstalled. Silly it is coming through the store though, needs to come through Windows Update. Maybe the final release will.
    jasqid likes this.

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Hell if the music app is updated it would be reason enough for me to download the preview early even at the expense of having to reinstall some of my apps again.
    Blackberry Pearl (8130) --> LG Optimus 7 (LG E-900h) --> Samsung Ativ S (SGH-T899M)

Global Posts
    1,401 Global Posts
    So it is official? To install the 8.1 preview, i would have to install all my apps again and everything is wiped?

I set-up all the VHD stuff to get all my music/video on my sdcard indexed in the windows folders, would i have to do all that again? I hope not, that was a nightmare

Global Posts
    7,945 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    won't be installing this though, because I read that all apps will have to be reinstalled. Silly it is coming through the store though, needs to come through Windows Update. Maybe the final release will.
    Just to clarify, apps won't have to be reinstalled for the Preview release, but they will need to be reinstalled when the final 8.1 release is out.

It's actually only partly coming through the Store though. You get a small update in Windows Update under "Optional Updates" that then triggers the Preview release to show up in the Windows Store.

I suspect that the final release will be in Windows Update as you say though.

Awesome. But if they're saying that you need 10GB free is this going to be a dual boot scenario, in which case it's going to hold that 10GB for the entire time you have it installed?

If you're short on space and going to end up reinstalling some/all apps anyway, would it make sense to do a factory reset, apply the "update" then delete whatever windows.old folder may get created? Just a thought.

This page mentions only 4GB needed, but not clear if that's RT or "old" Windows Microsoft Talks About How Windows 8.1 Preview Will Work

Global Posts
    7,945 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hotphil View Post
    If you're short on space and going to end up reinstalling some/all apps anyway, would it make sense to do a factory reset, apply the "update" then delete whatever windows.old folder may get created?
    Well, that way, you'd end up reinstalling your apps twice. Once immediately after installing the preview, and a second time after installing the final version.
    Developer

Global Posts
    817 Global Posts
    Hmm, will they let me install the invitation-only preview on 2 of my devices?

I think what it mentioned should be the complete installation, it would make sense of use up 10GB of space, if we remove existing RT OS from RT tablet and install this complete package, the remaining space should be slightly less than 16 GB in a 32GB RT device. For most RT tablet users, later we should receive a package to install, which should be similar to ordinary service pack, and it should take up around couple hundreds of MB, and we don't need to remove every existing apps and settings.

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    If you're running out of space, you could transfer the recovery data to a USB stick and free up 3GB of internal space.

Global Posts
    2,395 Global Posts
    Hope they change it! I would love to use the preview, buy I don't want to use that much space :(

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Just to clarify, apps won't have to be reinstalled for the Preview release, but they will need to be reinstalled when the final 8.1 release is out.

It's actually only partly coming through the Store though. You get a small update in Windows Update under "Optional Updates" that then triggers the Preview release to show up in the Windows Store.

I suspect that the final release will be in Windows Update as you say though.
    If the preview is not available in your language, then you will need to reinstall all your apps from the beginning.

Global Posts
    2,481 Global Posts
    bottom line, clarified or not, you are going to have to reinstall ****, and the "improvements" are just not enough for me to deal with that hassle. Everyone talks about 8.1 like its the second coming but it is just a point upgrade and not that great. Service Packs did more in the past. I don't need a start button or other dumb luddite stuff like boot to legacy desktop....especially on Surface RT. I really wish Microsoft would port all the remaining Desktop Apps and office to Metro and turn Desktop completely off on the Surface RT.
    berty6294 and jbigelow like this.

bottom line, clarified or not, you are going to have to reinstall ****, and the "improvements" are just not enough for me to deal with that hassle. Everyone talks about 8.1 like its the second coming but it is just a point upgrade and not that great. Service Packs did more in the past. I don't need a start button or other dumb luddite stuff like boot to legacy desktop....especially on Surface RT. I really wish Microsoft would port all the remaining Desktop Apps and office to Metro and turn Desktop completely off on the Surface RT.
    I agree with you inteller, they really do need to port all the remaining Desktop Apps and office to Metro and turn Desktop completely off on the Surface RT
    Infinidim
    64GUNSHIP likes this.
    Service packs have never added this many things to a version of Windows before. I'm sorry, but that is a completely incorrect statement.

I think you need to do some research to learn more about what changes are coming in Windows 8.1.

There are still unannounced features in Windows 8.1. Microsoft has only publically released certain information about the update. They haven't stated what's included in the entire update yet.

All of the updates in Windows 8.1 are going to enhance Windows RT devices the most. Sure, there are minor improvements for the desktop, but these improvements are dwarfed by the changes made to the metro side of Windows 8.1.
    Last edited by eric12341; 06-25-2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: removed insulting statements
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EDDS View Post
    Yes, I have several certifications with MS so I receive these program tests regularly. In fact the mail called it 8.1 Preview test program, so it might be something different from the public preview, or not. I submitted a report asking if the program was full or if the message was in error. I'm waiting for the reply, they said they would respond within 36 hours.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast