- 03-14-2013, 08:33 AM #1
I'm about to buy a Surface RT. In my home network environment, I use a Synology DiskStation NAS, and have mapped certain folders on the DiskStation as network drives on my old PC's (both old XP machines).
Now, I'm not sure if I can map the network drives on a Surface RT (or any other Windows RT device for that matter). Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this? Thanks!
(And yes, I will be posting this question in the Synology Forums as well)
- 03-14-2013, 10:18 AM #3
I have a Synology 210+, and back when I still had a Surface RT it worked fine with the Synology. Other than the known limitations with desktop apps and joining domains, it's still just Windows, not really any wierder than Windows on the R3000, Alpha, and Itanium. I think I had to set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel=1 in the registry to get it to work (same as other Windows systems). I'm looking at upgrading to a QNAP though because it supports the newer protocols.
- 03-14-2013, 10:51 AM #4
- 03-14-2013, 12:22 PM #5
I can try to help; I've never used DSAssist so I don't know what it does besides a basic drive map. And I returned my Surface RT, so the closest I can currently replicate your environment is by using my Windows 8 laptop. But the only difference I've ever seen between mapping a Synology share and mapping a normal server share is the regedit thing you have to do so modern windows systems (NT4 and above) can deal with Synology's obsolete firmware.
03-17-2013, 12:20 AM #9
- 8 Posts
- 03-21-2013, 09:28 AM #12
If this fails then you may need to edit the registry, but try this simple approach first.
- By franzoso in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RTReplies: 4Last Post: 11-03-2012, 09:30 AM
- By Daniel0418 in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RTReplies: 0Last Post: 10-27-2012, 10:17 PM
- By franzoso in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RTReplies: 12Last Post: 10-26-2012, 07:46 AM
- By nuprotocol in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RTReplies: 11Last Post: 10-21-2012, 03:13 AM
- By mafu6 in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RTReplies: 5Last Post: 10-18-2012, 09:07 AM