Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By iosub
  • 1 Post By ninjaap
  • 2 Post By inteller
  • 1 Post By iosub
  1. xFalk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    105 Posts
       #1  
    I just signed up for the Time Warner Cable, TWC-TV stuff so myself and family can watch cable TV on our non-TV devices. No problem setting it up to watch TWC programming via the web browser on the deskttop (w8 with IE10) or my daughter's laptop (Vista with IE 9). But when I tried setting up my wife's Surface RT so she can watch TV programming on it via the browser, I got a message that Silverlight isn't supported on RT. WTF Microsoft? Now until TWC gets around to developing a TWC-TV app for W8 and WP8, like they have for apple and android, we're limited to just desktop and laptop use. Not what I was hoping for. I don't understand why Silverlight cant be supported in RT. Is it supported on the Surface Pro?
  2. iosub's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    132 Posts
    #2  
    Good question, I have made this question myself many times. Why does Microsoft support flash on windows rt and does not support their own technology Silverlight?
    For your question, windows 8 on surface pro does support Silverlight on desktop mode.
  3. Adenohedron's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #3  
    There could be a whole bunch of reasons why such as (1) needs to be recompiled to run on ARM architecture, (2) performance issues (maybe it doesn't run very well...so why make it available if it pisses you off), (3) battery life issues. WinRT is also pretty new too so it might be in the works. Not trying to give MS an excuse, I would have thought it would have been baked in too (it should be). As for the surface pro it will support Silverlight. Its full blown Windows 8 Pro, just like a laptop or desktop. Hope that helps!
  4. iosub's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    132 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Adenohedron View Post
    There could be a whole bunch of reasons why such as (1) needs to be recompiled to run on ARM architecture, (2) performance issues (maybe it doesn't run very well...so why make it available if it pisses you off), (3) battery life issues. WinRT is also pretty new too so it might be in the works. Not trying to give MS an excuse, I would have thought it would have been baked in too (it should be). As for the surface pro it will support Silverlight. Its full blown Windows 8 Pro, just like a laptop or desktop. Hope that helps!
    Silverlight is actuality running on iMac and windows x86 and x64.

    It was prepared for multiplatform.You have it on windows Phone (ARM), (also on windows embedded, Symbian)
    If there isn't a Windows RT runtime is just a marketing wrong decision .
    Yes we can blame Microsoft.
    Btw, flash(actually supported on windows RT) is more battery killer that Silverlight..
    Vistaus likes this.
  5. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    #5  
    Try setting up remote desktop. You don't have to worry about flash or Silverlight ever again.
    Thanked by:
    Zeroplanetz likes this.
  6. GSOgymrat's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    379 Posts
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    #6  
    I also wondered why they decided not to have Silverlight on Surface RT. Microsoft Office is obviously a very big addition to Windows RT but there are basic Microsoft programs that should have been added too: Silverlight, Photo Gallery and Movie Maker.
  7. iosub's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    132 Posts
    #7  
    One of the fails of windows RT is that they miss corporate needs. There are a lot of companies with LOB apps running on Silverlight.. Silverlight was and is the choice of LOB apps, HTML5 does not have the power of Silverlight, and winRT or windows store apps are no powerful enough yet.
    Very bad decision from,Microsoft
  8. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by iosub View Post
    One of the fails of windows RT is that they miss corporate needs. There are a lot of companies with LOB apps running on Silverlight.. Silverlight was and is the choice of LOB apps, HTML5 does not have the power of Silverlight, and winRT or windows store apps are no powerful enough yet.
    Very bad decision from,Microsoft
    You don't think it was intentional? Pro was obviously intended for corporate not RT.
  9. Jrexxx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    245 Posts
    #9  
    Aren't all WP7 apps built on Silverlight?
  10. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    #10  
    Maybe it has something to do with developers having to compile x86 machines first then recompile for ARM. Probably would've been a different story if they were porting from WP first then to RT.
  11. bawboh86's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    571 Posts
    Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrexxx View Post
    Aren't all WP7 apps built on Silverlight?
    WPF. Very similar, but with some slight differences, mainly the UI is written in XAML. You COULD write them in Silverlight, but most people didn't bother. And the Silverlight it DID use was a Silverlight Mobile version, so not quite the same there, either.

    Also, I think there's no Silverlight on RT because sometimes, Microsoft's right hand has NO IDEA what the left hand is doing.
  12. mms-pc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    161 Posts
    #12  
    I strongly suggest you send a mail to TWC, asking them to develop an app exclusively for Windows RT, so Windows RT users can be covered.
  13. nasellok's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    #13  
    This is the only reason I have to even pick up my Ipad anymore - the TWC app. It shouldn't be that difficult for them to port their ios, and android apps over - they are already compiled for ARM architecture - the only reason they possibly will not is because they are lazy, and they want to leave us windows RT users behind, and only support standard windows 8, which in my opinion is just a fail on MS's part for not supporting their own software (Silverlight).
  14. inteller's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,538 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,542 Global Posts
    #14  
    Silverlight is going away, it was never optimized for low power devices. The version on WP7/WP8 uses a form of it that -was- optimized for touch/low power but functionality is more limited. Silverlight also needs a thick managed code base to be installed on every client. HTML5 is the way forward and WinRT embraces more of that that Silverlight.
    wshwe and HeyCori like this.
  15. iosub's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    132 Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    Silverlight is going away, it was never optimized for low power devices. The version on WP7/WP8 uses a form of it that -was- optimized for touch/low power but functionality is more limited. Silverlight also needs a thick managed code base to be installed on every client. HTML5 is the way forward and WinRT embraces more of that that Silverlight.
    So is flash and is supported on windows RT. Why not Silverlight?

    The point here is LOB apps that have been developed on Silverlight since 2009 and are developing. Don't forget that Microsoft is going to support until 2020 (public announce from Microsoft)
    So there good points to support Silverlight on windows RT.
    Also html5 does not have the power of Silverlight for LOB (line of business apps)
    TThere are other sSilverlight technology like video streaming that are supported on ios and not on WP....
    Vistaus likes this.
  16. HeyCori's Avatar
    Mod Emeritus

    Posts
    5,211 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,236 Global Posts
    #16  
    Microsoft won't admit it (yet) but Silverlight is dead.
  17. inteller's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,538 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,542 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by iosub View Post
    So is flash and is supported on windows RT. Why not Silverlight?

    The point here is LOB apps that have been developed on Silverlight since 2009 and are developing. Don't forget that Microsoft is going to support until 2020 (public announce from Microsoft)
    So there good points to support Silverlight on windows RT.
    Also html5 does not have the power of Silverlight for LOB (line of business apps)
    TThere are other sSilverlight technology like video streaming that are supported on ios and not on WP....
    Microsoft's message to businesses is to migrate to WinRT. Before you even say it, yes this is intended to sell copies of Win8, that's what Microsoft is in the business of anyways. If businesses want to continue using Win7/SL they are welcome to but that is not where new development efforts are being concentrated.
  18. iosub's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    132 Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    Microsoft's message to businesses is to migrate to WinRT. Before you even say it, yes this is intended to sell copies of Win8, that's what Microsoft is in the business of anyways. If businesses want to continue using Win7/SL they are welcome to but that is not where new development efforts are being concentrated.
    Right now there are not enough components for WinRT.. If you compare for example telerik controls for Silverlight and WinRT.. We will need at least 1 more year to have the same quality of controls for winRT.

    So if Microsoft wants to sell windowsRT on corporate companies, they need compatibility with current apps, and there are many apps on companies done on SL. For example SharePoint 2010 it does not run on WindowsRT! Did you know that ?

    Sorry but Microsoft is wrong on the strategy.. If corps can't run there current apps (SharePoint for example) on WindowsRT why they should buy a windowsRT tablet that have few apps instead an iPAD ?..
  19. johninsj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    373 Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyCori View Post
    Microsoft won't admit it (yet) but Silverlight is dead.
    They already hinted it was EOL (or more accurately, evolving to XAML) Enterprise Efficiency - Andy Patrizio - Silverlight's End Means a New Beginning
  20. inteller's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,538 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,542 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by iosub View Post
    Right now there are not enough components for WinRT.. If you compare for example telerik controls for Silverlight and WinRT.. We will need at least 1 more year to have the same quality of controls for winRT.

    So if Microsoft wants to sell windowsRT on corporate companies, they need compatibility with current apps, and there are many apps on companies done on SL. For example SharePoint 2010 it does not run on WindowsRT! Did you know that ?

    Sorry but Microsoft is wrong on the strategy.. If corps can't run there current apps (SharePoint for example) on WindowsRT why they should buy a windowsRT tablet that have few apps instead an iPAD ?..
    give me a break dude, when Silverlight first came out there were no controls for it either.
  21. iosub's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    132 Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    give me a break dude, when Silverlight first came out there were no controls for it either.
    nice answer without arguments.
    Have a nice day babe :)
  22. inteller's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,538 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,542 Global Posts
    #22  
    well yes when it is the truth there are no arguments.
  23. Vistaus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,562 Global Posts
    #23  
    Everyone may scream "Silverlight is dead" which seems to be the case, but that doesn't take away that there are still people/businesses using Silverlight for movie playback and as long as they don't wanna change that (I even got confirmation of a few businesses that don't even consider moving away from Silverlight), we do still need it. I really wish I could get it on my Surface 2...
  24. wshwe's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    #24  
    Not only is Silverlight being phased out, but so is Flash. Adobe is moving to HTML 5. Beginning with Android Jelly Bean Flash is no longer available on the Play Store. Adobe stopped developing Flash on mobile platforms. If there is a Surface 3 don't be surprised if it doesn't come with Flash.
    Virtuous
    Microsoft Surface RT 64 GB
    HTC Droid DNA and Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Similar Threads

  1. Backpack, Crossover, or Messenger Bag for Surface RT?
    By Flagz in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RT
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-20-2014, 10:36 PM
  2. Why no love for the ATIV S?
    By L111 in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-05-2012, 02:32 PM
  3. Are You Ditching an Existing Tablet for Surface RT?
    By ptath2 in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RT
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 10-27-2012, 12:27 PM
  4. Potential for Surface RT to run Windows 8 Pro
    By Lundon44 in forum General Tablet Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-18-2012, 01:06 PM
  5. Why no reviews for this phone?
    By gravage in forum Samsung Focus S 4G
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-04-2012, 07:55 PM

Posting Permissions