02-21-2013, 12:27 PM #1
- 639 Posts
One of the lead articles today and the announcement on the top of the page say it all. Apparently people are giving away the Tegra power Windows 8 tablets called Surface RT and Vivotab RT. Perhaps the RT in the names should have been a clue that they run Windows RT, not Windows 8. You would think that by now this site would know they are not the same OS. This is truly embarrassing.
02-22-2013, 02:08 PM #5
- 373 Posts
Bill Gates tells Reddit he would rather fight one horse-sized duck | Digital Trends
There are actually windows 8 tablets with atom cpus that run x86 apps.
Windows RT -> Not x86
Windows anything else -> x86
Not really that complicated.
02-22-2013, 04:38 PM #6
- 118 Posts
You are right that it isn't complicated, but it is still confusing to most consumers and even a lot of writers as evidenced here. I'll admit I thought it was called Windows 8 RT until after I bought my Surface, even though I understood the differences between 8 and RT.
02-22-2013, 05:15 PM #7
- 373 Posts
Well it IS windows 8. The important bit is "On ARM CPU" not Windows 8. It's full *** windows 8 though, and recompiling stuff for arm works just jim dandy (post jailbreak.)
People are confused by RT=Arm though. Weirdly, they don't expect their iPads to run OSx x86 apps, even though iOS is really just OSx on Arm.
- By Mark Rozanski in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 7Last Post: 03-16-2013, 01:13 PM
- By mpovolo in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 0Last Post: 12-22-2012, 01:21 AM
- By mach1man in forum HTC 8XReplies: 9Last Post: 12-17-2012, 08:20 AM
- By Simon Tupper in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 27Last Post: 12-14-2012, 12:20 PM
- By Laura Knotek in forum WPCentral.com - Site News, Feedback, HelpReplies: 9Last Post: 07-31-2012, 12:44 PM