Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Wouldn't the Surface have been awesome with GPS?

I've been wondering if there is a solution out there. Has anyone tried using a USB or BT GPS with their Surface? I haven't been able to find a GPS receiver with drivers for RT.
    I'm also disappointed that Surface doesn't have a GPS chip.

Would it possible for say a app developer to make an app that could load onto the surface Rt that has drivers and or codecs written for winrt????

Bluetooth gpses work with surface.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Quote Originally Posted by johninsj View Post
    Bluetooth gpses work with surface.
    You are a tease. Can you suggest a device and any apps that could make use of it?

A friend has offered to dig out an old receiver for me. I'll give it a try.

Presumably, once paired, location services will detect it and Map apps will just query RT's location service. But something tells me I'm being optimistic.

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    You can check device compatibility here

Thanks, pedenske. Unfortunately, MSs spartan compatibility list is devoid of any GPS receivers.

Pretty much any bluetooth GPS should work, it's a standard profile.
    Does the surface pro have gps?
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

John, yes I'm confident achieving a pairing but the hope is that RT's Location Services will pick it up via Device Manager. There seems to be no manual configurability of Location Services via the Desktop Control Panel.

If Location Services does not utilise it then we're stuffed as the trendy new App model prohibits directly accessing devices.

rdubmu: No. Microsoft say we don't need it. Samsung differ, as their Ativ RT tablet has GPS.

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by perspicatio View Post
    No. Microsoft say we don't need it. Samsung differ, as their Ativ RT tablet has GPS.
    My ASUS Vivo Tab RT also has GPS as well as NFC.
    Last edited by rmeigs; 02-21-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by perspicatio View Post
    John, yes I'm confident achieving a pairing but the hope is that RT's Location Services will pick it up via Device Manager. There seems to be no manual configurability of Location Services via the Desktop Control Panel.

If Location Services does not utilise it then we're stuffed as the trendy new App model prohibits directly accessing devices.

rdubmu: No. Microsoft say we don't need it. Samsung differ, as their Ativ RT tablet has GPS.
    I have been meaning to hook mine up. First, I have to find its charger. LOL. If I ever do, I'll report back.

Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    Ok, what would you use GPS for on a 11" tablet? Do you plan on roaming the streets tab in hand? If I'm getting directions, phone works just fine to get me from a to b. Am I missing something or is it just like a camera in a tablet. You use it once just to see how it works and never again? I just don't see the point and neither did MS. What am I missing here?

Global Posts
    786 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    Ok, what would you use GPS for on a 11" tablet? Do you plan on roaming the streets tab in hand? If I'm getting directions, phone works just fine to get me from a to b. Am I missing something or is it just like a camera in a tablet. You use it once just to see how it works and never again? I just don't see the point and neither did MS. What am I missing here?
    I've used GPS in a previous tablet as a large map to give someone directions. It was much easier to show them on a larger screen than on my phone. This has happened more than once, too. I can see both sides of the coin, and I'll honestly live without it just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    What am I missing here?
    Imagination. Whereas wandering the streets of New York holding a tablet at arm's length might be inadvisable, phone snatchers are thin on the ground in the hills of Tuscany. Just one place where a light tablet with a large map display would be of great value.
    Gungzwei likes this.

We have tried pairing two different GPS devices with the Surface tablet. Unfortunately, neither worked.

The devices identify themselves and pair with Surface but no GPS data becomes available to apps such as "GPS Satellite" or gMaps. RT's Device Manager lists the "Peripheral Device" as installed but with no device driver (it even says one is not required).

You can tell the device to utilise Bluetooth's Serial Port Profile but it seems that RT's Location Services just point blank refuses GPS. What a pity.

This GPS BT device, Dual XGPS150, claims to work with Surface RT:

Dual XGPS150 Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver - Windows Phone GPS Receivers - The WP Central Store

Can anyone confirm before I shell out my $100 bucks? Why would this one work but not others??

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I've been using a Holux M-1000 BT GPS with my Surface Pro. I haven't tried any Metro Apps with it yet, but the Windows Desktop apps work fine with it. It is seen as COM3, a standard serial interface.

==
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    the problem with any external GPS, especially those running on a BT serial com port, is that the location API doesn't know how to take advantage of them automatically.
    Yeah,this seems to be true. Unfortunately.

Just curious what you are using for mapping on the Surface to take advantage of the Holux GPS. I want to use my Surface in a road rally so that we can back out on a larger screen than a traditional GPS screen to see the bigger picture. thx

Global Posts
    2,395 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LMKz View Post
    This GPS BT device, Dual XGPS150, claims to work with Surface RT:

Dual XGPS150 Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver - Windows Phone GPS Receivers - The WP Central Store

Can anyone confirm before I shell out my $100 bucks? Why would this one work but not others??
    Yes, can anyone confirm this?

My wife and I are tech nomads. We live in our RV full time, going where the tech contracts take us. It's vey difficult to position a 'standard' GPS unit in a place where it can be seen easily without taking your eyes off the road. It's even harder if you want the person in the passenger seat to assist with navigation.

There are a lot of reasons (that I won't get into) behind my choice of the Surface RT, and a GPS module would be the icing on he cake.

The store for this website is advertising an RT compatible device, though I couldn't vouch for the claim:

I found this link on the web, i think it could be interesting
    http://www.gpscity.com/pdfs/Surface_...structions.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by toff972 View Post
    I found this link on the web, i think it could be interesting
    http://www.gpscity.com/pdfs/Surface_...structions.pdf
    Interesting. The screen shots are from a Pro, I wonder if they actually tried it on an RT or just assumed it works.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast