Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xboxonthego3

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    So I bought a piece of crap adapter from eBay thinking it would work with Surface and of course it didn't so I want to make sure I buy one that actually works properly with Surface for Xbox 360 controllers. If anyone could put some links up or point me in the right direction I would appreciate it a lot thanks.

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rhythmsyndicate View Post
    perfect. thanks a lot for the response! I wanted someone who had tried it so that's great.

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I can confirm that the adapter linked to by rhythmsyndicate works with the Surface RT. However, you do have to follow the directions listed in the Amazon comments on how to install it since it does not work automatically after plugging it in.

However, that makes me wonder whether you need to follow similar directions for the adapter that you have already purchased. Give it a try before spending money on another one.

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kashk5 View Post
    I can confirm that the adapter linked to by rhythmsyndicate works with the Surface RT. However, you do have to follow the directions listed in the Amazon comments on how to install it since it does not work automatically after plugging it in.

However, that makes me wonder whether you need to follow similar directions for the adapter that you have already purchased. Give it a try before spending money on another one.
    thanks for the tip I will take a look

Global Posts
    7,950 Global Posts
    Yeah, you'll need to manually install the driver for most of the adapters these days. The reason is that Microsoft isn't actually making the adapter any more, so all of these adapters are third-party ones that don't identify to the PC exactly the same way as the MS-made one did.

Here's hoping that for the Xbox's successor that they just use Bluetooth controllers though, so we don't need any dongles.

I guess they don't sell them by themselves but they still sell them at best buy bundled with a controller. I saw it by the computers and computer accessories. Not by the consoles.
    kashk5 likes this.

Global Posts
    7,950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxonthego3 View Post
    I guess they don't sell them by themselves but they still sell them at best buy bundled with a controller. I saw it by the computers and computer accessories. Not by the consoles.
    Ah, I wasn't aware of that, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacable View Post
    So I bought a piece of crap adapter from eBay thinking it would work with Surface and of course it didn't so I want to make sure I buy one that actually works properly with Surface for Xbox 360 controllers. If anyone could put some links up or point me in the right direction I would appreciate it a lot thanks.
    I bought a $10 cheapy from ebay. It works perfectly. You do have to add the device manually though.

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    What games are you using Xbox controllers on?

Quote Originally Posted by derek533 View Post
    What games are you using Xbox controllers on?
    I have used hydro thunder, skulls of shogun, and that Microsoft pinball game. There are others. There is a list somewhere, don't have the link. Bing it.

Ordered the same one yesterday...

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    Yeah I think I will pick up the combo from Microsoft cause I am tired of trying to mess around and try and make this one work. I have tried anything and this one that I bought just wont work. I couldn't find the driver "Microsoft Common Controller for Windows Class". I did find the xbox 360 adapter driver and added that and it didn't work still.

For anyone in Canada wanting the controller with the adapter its on sale right now from Canada Computers. $44.95 pretty good price.