Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    287 Global Posts
    Picked up my surface Rt today at best buy. Got 75 bucks off had them price match staples who is running a promo with 75 off any windows machine. Coupon code 99279 on staples site.

anyways. Any tips or recommendations. I really enjoy hardware so far still trying to explore the operating system as a whole.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    Nice, I'd love to get my hands on one although I think I would prefer a pro, even with the bad battery life.

Global Posts
    2,412 Global Posts
    Sounds like a good deal. I'd put the money you saved towards a Touch or Type cover.

First tip is like any Windows machine: make sure you get the latest updates. Other than that, just enjoy it.

What are your initial impressions??

Global Posts
    287 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Sounds like a good deal. I'd put the money you saved towards a Touch or Type cover.First tip is like any Windows machine: make sure you get the latest updates. Other than that, just enjoy it.What are your initial impressions??
    I like it. I like the hardware. Not sure how I feel about the OS or my actual need for the device though. I bought a chrome book a week ago but wanted something that did a little more so I picked up surface thinking that'll do the trick but i kind of find myself in same boat with lack of apps in Windows and*not mention free apps. I'm really a Google user through and through but wanted something with a different feel. It's tough to say if I'll keep the surface. I love the hardware. Love the interface. But hate the app selection.

Global Posts
    2,504 Global Posts
    well what exactly are you looking for?

Global Posts
    287 Global Posts
    honestly I don't even know. I think im looking for something that can act as a laptop replacement. I don't need full fledge apps like a suface pro offers and I wanted something fun to use unlike a traditional laptop.

Global Posts
    2,504 Global Posts
    I was referring to apps.

Global Posts
    287 Global Posts
    Most of apps I use are direct tv. Sirius. Pandora. I like the office suite on surface. My top apps aren't available at moment. Not sure if I should be patient or get a nexus 10

Global Posts
    2,504 Global Posts
    there is an app for that already, it is called IE10.

Global Posts
    2,412 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zxphenomenalxz View Post
    ...I bought a chrome book a week ago but wanted something that did a little more so I picked up surface thinking that'll do the trick but i kind of find myself in same boat with lack of apps in Windows and*not mention free apps....
    Quote Originally Posted by zxphenomenalxz View Post
    Most of apps I use are direct tv. Sirius. Pandora. I like the office suite on surface. My top apps aren't available at moment. Not sure if I should be patient or get a nexus 10
    I use a Chromebook too, but it's not in the same league as the Surface. I just got one because I like different/new technology. And Chrome OS is gaining popularity at a pretty fast pace. I mainly use it when I need to type and want to hold it on my lap. I don't actually *need* a tablet, but I sure have enough of them. I find my Surface most useful when I need to do work, but not at my main work laptop. I'm a big fan of cloud computing, so if there are files I need to work on I have them available on any device. The Office suite is my favorite thing on the Surface, followed by remote desktop. And there are a handful of Windows Store apps that I use.

The Nexus 10 is a nice device too. I think you have to ask yourself if there is a deal breaker with the Surface. If it doesn't have the apps you want right now, there's no guarantee that it will have them sometime in the future. If the Surface isn't doing it for you right now, then maybe it never will. But try to define what you want to use a tablet for, and then go from there.