Heyas,

just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem (and has a solution!).

I've been trying to connect my surface rt to an external monitor via micro hdmi-hdmi cable.

On connection it makes the sound that a device has been added (a brief tone that goes up in pitch).. ...but then my surface screen starts to flash on and off before crashing.
    It's quite concerning as it does take a while for it to reboot -- I had to keep trying the 10 second power button press for some time. The monitor in the meanwhile doesn't seem to show any activity and just blinks with "check cable connection". . .if it's relevant I can get the model number later (a 22" HP I believe), but it was a friend's and he has no issues connecting his laptop to it via hdmi.

I tried it a second time but with the same result and thought i'd ask around before trying again as it certainly doesn't look like a healthy thing for me to keep doing to the surface.

Thanks guys

Global Posts
    2,675 Global Posts
    I've never had my Surface completely crash, but it does become disconnected frequently. It seems to be very buggy but it works better when you extend screen instead of duplicate. Its been a while since I've used an external monitor with my Surface (only for Netflix really) but I'll play around with it later today and see if I can duplicate your problem.
    Try out my first Windows 8 app, ModernCalc! It's free and I would love to hear your feedback!

Phones: Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30, Ipod Nano 2nd gen (x4), Ipod touch 16gb 2nd gen
    Tablet: Surface for Windows RT

You're right to not keep trying it with the Surface, unless perhaps with another HDMI cable or a second HDMI input on that monitor if it has one --just to point out a couple of possible problem sources. Best bet is to try another monitor. I've never had a shutdown in either duplicate or extended mode using it with my Sony TV, or a friend's older Samsung TV. In the case of the Samsung, the connection is occasionally lost, but switching the same cable to a different input solves the issue -hence, the input suggestion, although we do have to restart whatever was running, usually an Amazon Prime movie. That Samsung has the same input problem with a Direct tv source, so we know it's the monitor's hdmi input that is the problem. Good luck troubleshooting.
    X-Box Music Pass Rocks
    Surface: there is no substitute
    We are all just prisoners here, of our own device(s)