Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Global Posts
    1,376 Global Posts
    To the OP.

What is the average return rate for such devices? You are bringing what may just be another "hit" piece with no details and no data to back it up. Given most of the Surface tablets were sold in MSFT stores its doubtful they are going to flaunt such a high return rate. So, please do us the favor of providing a little due diligence and determine how they came up with those numbers.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...

Global Posts
    581 Global Posts
    I hear a lot of complaints about RT, Surface and otherwise. Some are legitimate complaints and some are just people not familiar with devices. Before you complain about RT not performing a certain task, do a little research. Win8 and RT are completely new OS'. Try researching and asking before you spread FUD. I've had Surface since launch and Win8 for a month or so. Still learning what it can and will do.

Global Posts
    2,504 Global Posts
    the facebook website is hardly touch friendly, that can't be denied.
    pbankey likes this.

because everything I buy I check to see if it will run facebook first, thanks for letting me know. sarcasm intended. BTW, the iPad doesn't run the latest OSX programs either. Yes, RT looks like Win8, but doesn't that help most people have a comfort level with using it? It is similar to my WP8 and I don't expect to play Skyrim on my phone, but I like the option of opening Office documents across the platforms and simple games (like Robotek currently). I am waiting to see what Nokia's tablet will offer vs the Surface RT. I do wish that the RT was $100-150 less.

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gsquared View Post
    To the OP.

What is the average return rate for such devices? You are bringing what may just be another "hit" piece with no details and no data to back it up. Given most of the Surface tablets were sold in MSFT stores its doubtful they are going to flaunt such a high return rate. So, please do us the favor of providing a little due diligence and determine how they came up with those numbers.
    Why is it my job to do due diligence? Talk to Paul Thurrott about that. But since you asked. Galaxy Tab return rate at 13%; iPad 2% | Apple - CNET News
    For goods in general, it appears to be about 10% is the average.

I returned my black 64GB one yesterday on the last day of the generous holiday return window -pun intended. I held on to it as long as I could to minimize my Surfaceless time. I'll be back to a MS store soon -the closest one is 2.5 hours away, to pick up a 128GB Pro. If I prefer it, I'll keep it; otherwise, I'll trade it in for another RT. Any comparisons to non-Windows devices are so meaningless to me, for multiple functionality reasons; plus, there is only one 1.5 lb/.68 kg tablet that has Office -the common currency in computing, SD expansion, a standard USB port, HDMI out, a kickstand and thin, very light keyboards/covers. I want these things; I need a Surface.

BTW, and with due respect to all, for my tastes and sensibilities, the (charcoal) Surface is the masculine tablet, or the most fit tablet for an adult male. Wink.
    Last edited by RTGent; 02-01-2013 at 10:24 AM.
    X-Box Music Pass Rocks
    Surface: there is no substitute
    We are all just prisoners here, of our own device(s)
    Dare2Blink likes this.

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RTGent View Post

BTW, and with due respect to all, for my tastes and sensibilities, the Surface is the masculine tablet, or the most fit tablet for an adult male. Wink.
    Translation: With due respect, misogyny misogyny misogyny.
    What does being male, or masculinity have to do with anything? Especially one that comes in super-manly pink cover?fd732655-e260-4059-b05c-a40093696060.jpg
    RTGent likes this.

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    I've had Surface since launch and Win8 for a month or so. Still learning what it can and will do.
    That's the main problem IMO. With Android and iOS it typically don't take research to figure out how to do basic tasks. And it shouldn't take a current Windows XP/7 user longer to figure out RT than it does to figure out iOS or Android from scratch. Yet that has been my experience so far. Some of that is the extra power RT gives us. But a lot of it is just the way some things aren't where you expect them to be or spread between the seperate interfaces. To me it feels like Metro/Modern/Whatever is a VM running on a desktop. Much like Windows 3.1's relationship with DOS. People expect better and more seamless execution these days.

I'm still not convinced on my Surface, but I'll probably keep it because the combination of quality hardware and utility are unmatched for my use. I'm just stating why I wouldn't doubt a much higher rate than its competitors.
    Last edited by plmn; 02-01-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    Why is it my job to do due diligence? Talk to Paul Thurrott about that. But since you asked. Galaxy Tab return rate at 13%; iPad 2% | Apple - CNET News
    Because you are the one that pulled the 40% return rate out of thin air, then created a thread about it.

Translation: With due respect, misogyny misogyny misogyny.
    What does being male, or masculinity have to do with anything? Especially one that comes in super-manly pink cover?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fd732655-e260-4059-b05c-a40093696060.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	439.3 KB 
ID:	27878
    Granted, but I did qualify it, noting it was for my perhaps peculiar sensibilities. I Liked your fair post, and edited mine to specify a charcoal one. BTW, my significant only purchased an RT at the same time and she didn't return hers.
    X-Box Music Pass Rocks
    Surface: there is no substitute
    We are all just prisoners here, of our own device(s)

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mlm1950 View Post
    Because you are the one that pulled the 40% return rate out of thin air, then created a thread about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlm1950 View Post
    Upon rereading, I'll totally admit that I misinterpreted the 55-60% figure. It meant that of the 1.25 million sales Microsoft claimed, they actually only sold 55-60% of that. Minus the returns, which were "very high." If it was the standard 10%, that would mean that Microsoft only sold 675,00 Surfaces. If "very high" is more than 10%, then it could be substantially lower.
    If an admin wants to fix the title to "very high" that'd be great.

Global Posts
    837 Global Posts
    How high do you think Walmarts return rate is? People these days have an "I'll play with it and return it" mentality, I'd wager a good portion of those returns people never planned on keeping them in the first place. MS really could have done a better job educating people as well on the differences. How hard is it to just tell people RT is new apps only?

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen_az View Post
    Surface Pro has not yet been released so in what way is it so much better?
    For starters it runs a full version of Windows, not a mobile version. That means it runs standard, non-mobile apps. Having played with one this weekend I was impressed.

That said, it is considerably more expensive than the RT model.

Global Posts
    1,376 Global Posts
    Its your job because you posted it here.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...

Global Posts
    569 Global Posts
    If happiness in your life depends on posting online about less than stellar sales of a product you don't like on a forum of people you don't know, then maybe it's time to sit in a closed garage in an idling car for a few hours.
    ~Sal

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySal View Post
    If happiness in your life depends on posting online about less than stellar sales of a product you don't like on a forum of people you don't know, then maybe it's time to sit in a closed garage in an idling car for a few hours.
    Common.. Just not necessary no matter what people post on here.
    Thanked by:
    tekhna 
    tekhna and RTGent like this.

Dude where in the **** did you buy your RT that allowed you to return it for a refund at the end of January 2013 when you bought it on November 15th?

Quote Originally Posted by cme4oil View Post
    I will chime in and say the I bought the Surface RT on November 15th and just returned it for a refund a few days ago. I have been very satisfied with the tablet but thought I might like the PRO better. Once the PRO is out, I will play with it at the store, if I do indeed find it will be more to my liking in capabilities then I will buy a 128gb one. If not, I will probably buy another Surface RT.

If MS didn't have a such a great return policy for the holidays, I would have kept the RT as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by NELSON8x View Post
    Dude where in the **** did you buy your RT that allowed you to return it for a refund at the end of January 2013 when you bought it on November 15th?
    Well in November he only place the Surface was on sale was the Microsoft store...
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySal View Post
    Pot, meet kettle.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Microsoft changed the return policy for Christmas, anyone who bought a Surface RT from November 1st to Christmas had until January 31st 2013 to return it.

Quote Originally Posted by NELSON8x View Post

many of us knew a pro version was coming. most of the stores knew a pro version was coming. i have told many to wait and i am sure many sales clerks may have done the same. returns are just the result of morons buying stuff blindly. do you want to see a failure watch blackberry over the next 12 months.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Morons? really... I took mine back but I don't consider myself a "moron" but thanks for that useless comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Brown2 View Post
    many of us knew a pro version was coming. most of the stores knew a pro version was coming. i have told many to wait and i am sure many sales clerks may have done the same. returns are just the result of morons buying stuff blindly. do you want to see a failure watch blackberry over the next 12 months.

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    For what it is worth, i spoke to one of the assistants at a MS stand in Dadeland and asked him about returns. He mentioned that they had quite a few and the vast majority that were returned were usually by people who had recieved them as Christmas gifts. He said that those who bought for themselves, very rarely returned them.

Global Posts
    837 Global Posts
    I bought one for my wife as an anniversary gift, and as much as she liked it she really wanted to upgrade her 900 to a 920 instead. So I had to return it and use that money instead to pay full price for a 920. I miss it badly.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I had a Surface RT for couple of weeks before returning it. In the end it didn't fit my needs, but I certainly liked a lot about it. Well, I got a chance to play with the Pro at the store last evening, and had to come back here to give my 2 cents... I have to say, I don't get it at all. Yes, it's snappy, and yes it has higher res screen, but it runs hot, it has a fan that you can actually hear, it's much heavier and thicker, and from all accounts, the battery life is close to 3.5 hours... What is the point?? It felt like I was back 10 years ago or so, trying to desperately find a tablet. At the time I bought Samsung Q1U, running Vista... Made about as much sense then as Pro does now - crappy tablet experience, and a compromised laptop experience, all for way too much money. The difference is that back then there were few other options, unlike now.

I really hope that MS sticks with Win RT and develops it further, and that the next Surface RT addresses most of its known issues. It makes much more sense as a tablet, and has the potential to become the 3rd player.
    KoukiFC3S likes this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast