Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Global Posts
    1,391 Global Posts
    uggh, tried to add new files and still have updating issues. Had to rebuild, annoying! Used the VHD method.

So i tweeted surface on twitter asking about a potential update on getting sdcards recognized as libraries, of course i got directed to go to the site that has the junction and thurott instructions. I said those dont work properly and they replied that they dont have an update on my question.

Odds are, nothing is going to be done.

I just did a reinstall of the OS on my surface. I had previously tried Paul Thurrott's site for adding a SD card to the Surface RT, then switched to the .vhd method. After the reinstall, updates and app reinstallation I went step by step methodically and it works perfect. All my additions now index properly. You may have a step wrong or missed a portion of it. I found that after reinstalling the OS, updating, then setting up the .vhd method worked best for me. Good Luck.
    newfiend
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express.

Quote Originally Posted by newfiend View Post
    I just did a reinstall of the OS on my surface. I had previously tried Paul Thurrott's site for adding a SD card to the Surface RT, then switched to the .vhd method. After the reinstall, updates and app reinstallation I went step by step methodically and it works perfect. All my additions now index properly. You may have a step wrong or missed a portion of it. I found that after reinstalling the OS, updating, then setting up the .vhd method worked best for me. Good Luck.
    newfiend
    +1.

In fact, I've tried all of the methods and the VHD method is the only one that works. This is not only my experience (after trying each a number of times), but it's the only assured way of getting around the limitations on RT since they are engineered around the idea of limiting the features available via removable media.

The VHD method is the only way to make use of your SD card in a way the OS 'sees' as a non-removable hard disk. Being non-removable is the key. Otherwise, limitations will crop up and you'll be fighting a losing battle against the design of RT with removable media.

So can you post a link to the specific vhd method that you used? I have tried a vhd method but the vhd is not automatically recognized after the Surface is restarted.

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Here you go.
    Microsoft Surface

Global Posts
    1,391 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newfiend View Post
    newfiend
    I factory reset my RT before i did the VHD.

The apps did not update unless i went into indexing and rebuild under user instead of just the VHD drive.

"Set up Windows Indexing.
    1. Win+W, type Indexing Options, enter
    2. Click on modify, check the new vhd drive (probably E).
    3. OK, Close."

The mounting seems to work, but eventually the app stops updating unless i go to indexing options and rebuild the user. The step i pasted said to check the vhd drive which i did, so after i rebuild the apps will update. Im not sure when it stops, perhaps when i turn off. If anybody knows where i need to go so i dont have to keep rebuilding, let me know. Once i fix that problem, i think the method will work perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by camptime View Post
    Here you go.
    Microsoft Surface
    Thanks. I got it to work this time based on these instructions.

Ok so to clarify this is for having apps off of the sd card work correct? Also do I have to add music, videos, and picture folders for them to work off sd cards as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroplanetz View Post
    Ok so to clarify this is for having apps off of the sd card work correct? Also do I have to add music, videos, and picture folders for them to work off sd cards as well?
    I don't know about apps on the SD card. I use this exclusively to get Photos, Documents, Videos, Music on my SD card into the Windows RT libraries so all apps can see them.

Global Posts
    1,391 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeroplanetz View Post
    no, that is a totally different thing

Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    OK, so I can set up the VHD and get it to mount but I'm confused - am I creating the folders in the root of the actual microSD card or do I create them in the virtual drive. How do I then copy files to this virtual space on another PC (say all my music is on another PC)?

Any help much appreciated.

Oh - I'm doing this on an Envy X2 running full windows on Atom CPU BTW - you still can't add removable media to library even in full Windows.

I've tried creating the disk.vhd but get an error saying "The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation."

The SDXC card has an exFAT file system, I thought it'd just work out of the box without needing formatting to anything specific. Any ideas?

Edit: Formatted to NTFS and seems okay now.

Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    VHD requires the card to be formatted in NTFS.
    Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
    Thanked by:
    DagsJT 

Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Never mind, figured it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbane View Post
    OK, so I can set up the VHD and get it to mount but I'm confused - am I creating the folders in the root of the actual microSD card or do I create them in the virtual drive. How do I then copy files to this virtual space on another PC (say all my music is on another PC)?

Any help much appreciated.

Oh - I'm doing this on an Envy X2 running full windows on Atom CPU BTW - you still can't add removable media to library even in full Windows.

Okay, followed all of the steps and created the VHD but it doesn't seem to appear in the indexing options. The VHD appears on my E: drive as an 80MB file but can't index.

Also, trying to copy a file from the Surface itself to the VHD, it started off at 40MB/s, which was nice. Then it dropped right down and seems to be going between 700KB/s and 6MB/s, surely this isn't right?

Something definitely isn't right. Trying another file off a network drive and the performance is the same. It actually drops regularly to 0 bytes/s and just stops for a few seconds. This isn't great :/
    Last edited by DagsJT; 03-01-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Have you attached the VHD in disk manager?

Regarding the speed issue it was the same for me, incredibly slow. Took over 4 hours to copy about 30GB music. Avg. Speed of between 2-4 Mb/s.

Fortunately, the Windows 8.1 Release Preview solves this problem.

After the upgrade to 8.1 RP, the SD card was unchanged, but the auto-mount script I added to mount it as a VHD and the Explorer registry change to 'hide' the actual SD card and display only the VHD was undone. But Windows 8.1 fixes this in a way that makes the VHD method unnecessary and allows you to index content on an SD card without any hack.

On SD cards, you can now right-click a directory on the card and choose to have it indexed as in the example below:
    Attachment 36487

You can also add this setting another way or confirm the right-click index setting worked by opening 'Indexing Options' and choose Modify to see (or change) the current indexing settings:

Attachment 36488

I hope that helps...
    Last edited by msdugn; 06-27-2013 at 10:50 PM.
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12