Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By alteschweed

Looking for an app similar to Air Display/DIsplayLink for iPad so I can use my Surface as a second monitor via wifi on my laptop. I haven't found one yet, anybody know of one out there, or even in development? With the kickstand and the widescreen, I can't believe someone hasn't done this yet.

Thanks!
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,242 Global Posts
    This is about the closes thing I could find. Still requires a micro-HDMI

Surface dual monitor....Like a BOSS | The Verge Forums

No, that's not what I want. I need to go the other way. I want the Surface to be the 2nd monitor for my laptop. Can't do that with HDMI.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    This would actually be really awesome, if someone knows anything about this please post it!

Off the top of my head I remember I was looking into wireless vga plugs. They do exist.

Global Posts
    2,395 Global Posts
    Something new about this?

Global Posts
    840 Global Posts
    I haven't tried this yet but maybe this is what you're looking for?

Synergy

[APP] Synergy for Windows RT - xda-developers

Global Posts
    2,395 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpueblo View Post
    I haven't tried this yet but maybe this is what you're looking for?

Synergy

[APP] Synergy for Windows RT - xda-developers
    Unfortunately, no. I am looking for a app to use it as a external monitor for my computer. Just like using two regular monitors for your computer, but I only have one monitor so I want to be able to use my surface as a second monitor.

Global Posts
    840 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBDev View Post
    Unfortunately, no. I am looking for a app to use it as a external monitor for my computer. Just like using two regular monitors for your computer, but I only have one monitor so I want to be able to use my surface as a second monitor.
    I'm pretty sure that's exactly what synergy is. You move your mouse/keyboard across multiple screens, it's like having multiple monitors without having to attach them all physically to the same computer. Now whether or not it works well in Windows RT is another question, but Synergy is used by tons of people for that exact reason.

Global Posts
    2,395 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpueblo View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's exactly what synergy is. You move your mouse/keyboard across multiple screens, it's like having multiple monitors without having to attach them all physically to the same computer. Now whether or not it works well in Windows RT is another question, but Synergy is used by tons of people for that exact reason.
    Isn't synergy just so that you can use the same mouse and keyboard for several computers a the same time? Lets say that I have two regular programs open on my computer (for example Photoshop and Visual Studio) and I want to use them on two screens but I only have one. Then I should like to be able to hook up my surface as a secondary monitor and have one of the programs on that one. I hope you understand but Im sorry if I am unclear :)

Global Posts
    840 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBDev View Post
    Isn't synergy just so that you can use the same mouse and keyboard for several computers a the same time? Lets say that I have two regular programs open on my computer (for example Photoshop and Visual Studio) and I want to use them on two screens but I only have one. Then I should like to be able to hook up my surface as a secondary monitor and have one of the programs on that one. I hope you understand but Im sorry if I am unclear :)
    Oh wait I see what you mean, yeah. On the other monitors you can transition to them "wirelessly" however you are now on their desktop with their files, etc. Sorry man.

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Synergy allows you to use 1 keyboard/mouse across several different computers.

We need something different. We want to be able to use the Surface as a second monitor.
    I'm a traveling worker and I always have my laptop with me (and tablet too). I miss having
    a 2-monitor setup and it would be awesome to be able to use my Surface as a second monitor.

I understand there are now portable monitors that cost $100-150. But while I don't mind
    traveling with my laptop and surface, I do NOT want to carry laptop, tablet AND portable monitor.

Someone make an app for this! :-)

I've found the solution!
    Use "Splashtop"
    On youtube is a discription on how to set it up:
    Enjoy
    Thanked by:
    RTGent and Jessicator like this.
    Yep, Splashtop works great.

This cat Sean knows RT; his solutions show up here regularly. I wonder if he or his surrogates are posting the questions. :Kidding:
    X-Box Music Pass Rocks
    Surface: there is no substitute
    We are all just prisoners here, of our own device(s)