Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaimeastin

I have a digital copy of a movie, if I save it to a USB could I plug it in and transfer it to my Surface that way?
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Yes. Just like any other computer, I think.
    Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

Ok, that's what I figured but wanted to ask since I can't try it right now

Global Posts
    581 Global Posts
    It shouldn't be a problem as long as format is supported by RT. You will not be able to see it in video app due to indexing issues, at least I don't think you will. You will have to go to desktop and open file.

Its a Disney digital copy of Frankenweenie if you know what format that is?

Global Posts
    1,280 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    It shouldn't be a problem as long as format is supported by RT. You will not be able to see it in video app due to indexing issues, at least I don't think you will. You will have to go to desktop and open file.
    I have a movie on my RT. I play it through my Video app.

PM me for more details

I have the avengers digital copy but it only plays on my desktop computer thru windows media player. I don't know why I can't play it on my surface. I think its ridiculous that I can't play it on whatever system I have. It also makes me mad that it can be played on android and apple phones but not my Lumina 920. The world is so unfair!.............(unless somebody knows how to?)

@wbdillworth, did you buy it from the store? It was it a digital copy from a physical copy you bought?

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Afaik, Digital Copies are Windows Media Movies with DRM. The video app should be able to play wmv, but I'm not too sure about the DRM.
    Did you try it yet?

Can't get it to play on my gfs computer and my Alienware doesn't have a DVD-ROM being that its the 11 inch model.

To anyone that is wondering, they won't play atall. So to have movies saved onto it you have to buy them from Xbox until Flixster comes out with an app. Plus side is until then you can stream your Flixster movies in the browser.

Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Just buy DVD catalyst for $10(sale price won't last long) and rip that movie and all your other movies.

To answer your question... Although the file container may be one that is supported by the surface, the digital copy version wants to install a DRM decryption app, codec, etc that is not allowed on the surface... Now, I am sure ultra violent or whoever could release an app or Microsoft could release an update for the media playing app...

I personally do not use those digital copies much... They are usually limited to only 3 devices and have other restrictions. I want to use it when and where I want to... This where DVD Catalyst comes in. I like it better than hand break. Try it, you should have a better experience than wondering if it will play in this or that device since you created the digital copy 😊
    Thanked by:
    Vallos 
    Mark_Venture likes this.

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Or buy a slim external DVD/BD drive and plug it into the USB port? Has anybody tried this?

You can also use AnyDVD HD and Handbrake to rip your DVD/Blu-Ray's and convert them to .mp4 files. .mp4 is supported by the surface tablet and plays fine. This is my prefered method for watching movies on many devices including Windows Phone. I only do this for movies I own. I have kids and I find that using Digital Copies of my media allows me to keep the disks as a backup and they don't get damaged by little hands that scratch up and damage the media. This method works very well. You can use the iPad profile in Handbrake for excellent quality movies on your Surface. Once you encode the new .mp4 simply transfer the file to the surface and enjoy.
    SlySoft AnyDVD HD
    HandBrake

Global Posts
    1,280 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cthulhucometh View Post
    @wbdillworth, did you buy it from the store? It was it a digital copy from a physical copy you bought?
    Uhhh,.....yeah,

Let's just say it was a movie I had converted thru Handbrake for my HP Touchpad. I just copied it to the Surface RT.

PM me for more details
    When I try to play movies off of my surface they are real choppy! (Netflix actually does a far superior job) is this the case with anybody else? I've tried playback from both the sd card and ssd.
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berty6294 View Post
    When I try to play movies off of my surface they are real choppy! (Netflix actually does a far superior job) is this the case with anybody else? I've tried playback from both the sd card and ssd.
    It happened to me: http://forums.wpcentral.com/surface-...ullscreen.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    Nah I think its a different problem than that. I think actually it might just be the rip I have... I gotta check

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Nah I think its a different problem than that. I think actually it might just be the rip I have... I gotta check
    10-4!

Global Posts
    819 Global Posts
    Every movie I've converted to MP4 using DVD Catalyst for the Surface plays great off microSD card (Sandisk 32gig class 4), or internal storage. They have not been choppy.

Those I had previously converted to play on my Moto Xoom were choppy when played on the Surface, but fine on the Xoom. Per the author of DVD Catalyst, picking Moto Xoom HQXT profile, and modifying play back device setting to 1280x720 (rather than the Xoom's default 1280x800), results in files that play fine on both the Xoom and Surface RT. Thankfully using this setup outputs files that also play well on my iPad 3 and my wife's iPad2.
    lmao nvm it was a bad rip! its weird cause I thought I had watched the same file on my zune just fine a couple years ago. hmm (Hot Tub Time Machine btw haha)