Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50
Like Tree15Likes
  1. garak0410's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    392 Posts
    Global Posts
    394 Global Posts
       #1  
    Well, it looks like some real numbers are coming out and there were about a Million Surface's Sold:

    Just one million Surface RTs sold? | ZDNet

    So, with the majority of that time being sold in their stores and online only, is this good or not?

    I for one am enjoying my Surface but I also don't want to be stuck with a doorstop in a short period of time either. Thoughts?
  2. vertigoOne's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    196 Posts
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    #2  
    One million is pretty good IMO. When apple released the iPad, it hit one million within one month, but there was no competition at that time. Also, I imagine microsoft is making a good deal of profit at this premium pricing. I could see the next iteration of the surface costing much less if the other OEMs decide to give up on RT.

    Considering the rumors around Xbox, I really think microsoft is planning to stick with RT for the long haul.
  3. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by garak0410 View Post
    Well, it looks like some real numbers are coming out and there were about a Million Surface's Sold:

    Just one million Surface RTs sold? | ZDNet

    So, with the majority of that time being sold in their stores and online only, is this good or not?

    I for one am enjoying my Surface but I also don't want to be stuck with a doorstop in a short period of time either. Thoughts?
    So where are the real numbers? Its just analysts sounding off again trying to grab a headline to cover up the recent nosedive from apple on the iphone5
  4. garak0410's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    392 Posts
    Global Posts
    394 Global Posts
       #4  
    One of the more strange complaints about the Surface RT is how it isn't FULL Windows 8. First of all, iPad isn't full OSX but no one complains. Second, Windows RT is more of a PURE Windows 8, removing all of the possible bloat from legacy support. If Windows 8 and its app store continue to grow, there will be a place for Windows RT.
  5. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,353 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by garak0410 View Post
    So, with the majority of that time being sold in their stores and online only, is this good or not?
    I think it's pretty good, considering it was only available initially online and in a handful of MS and popup stores. A product like this is tough to purchase when you can't actually touch and feel it, especially at 499.00. And the 32 GB version sold out more than once, so it's possible people move on to another tablet because they couldn't get this one.

    Quote Originally Posted by garak0410 View Post
    One of the more strange complaints about the Surface RT is how it isn't FULL Windows 8. First of all, iPad isn't full OSX but no one complains. Second, Windows RT is more of a PURE Windows 8, removing all of the possible bloat from legacy support. If Windows 8 and its app store continue to grow, there will be a place for Windows RT.
    I mentioned in another post that obviously Mac OS X is not as popular as Windows, and doesn't have the legacy app following that Windows does. There is a clear distinction between iOS and OS X, But Windows RT looks and feels just like Windows 8. Side by side you can't tell the difference. Consumers just see Windows, and want to run all their programs on it.

    As far as it being pure Windows 8, I don't know about that. Look at how much free storage is available out of the box; not a lot. If RT were a stripped down Windows I would think it would be much more lightweight.
  6. garak0410's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    392 Posts
    Global Posts
    394 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    I think it's pretty good, considering it was only available initially online and in a handful of MS and popup stores. A product like this is tough to purchase when you can't actually touch and feel it, especially at 499.00. And the 32 GB version sold out more than once, so it's possible people move on to another tablet because they couldn't get this one.



    I mentioned in another post that obviously Mac OS X is not as popular as Windows, and doesn't have the legacy app following that Windows does. There is a clear distinction between iOS and OS X, But Windows RT looks and feels just like Windows 8. Side by side you can't tell the difference. Consumers just see Windows, and want to run all their programs on it.

    As far as it being pure Windows 8, I don't know about that. Look at how much free storage is available out of the box; not a lot. If RT were a stripped down Windows I would think it would be much more lightweight.
    Can't argue with the available space. I am glad I did get a 64 Bit Model.

    I am kind of torn about my Surface. I do like it but I do fall into that mindset, at times, where I wish it did run legacy apps. When it comes to that, I pull out my still workhorse of a laptop with Windows 8 on it to get my GOG.COM games fix! :)
  7. arrowrand's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #7  
    I think a million sold is a great number. MS is playing the long game with Surface and I'm pretty sure that they're more concerned with plowing forward than comparing Surface sales to iPad sales. At least at this point.

    No company is going to create a viable platform out of thin air overnight like Apple did. The category is defined, but MS can (and I think will) carve out a nice space.
  8. neova333's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by garak0410 View Post
    Can't argue with the available space. I am glad I did get a 64 Bit Model.

    I am kind of torn about my Surface. I do like it but I do fall into that mindset, at times, where I wish it did run legacy apps. When it comes to that, I pull out my still workhorse of a laptop with Windows 8 on it to get my GOG.COM games fix! :)
    Windows RT is a clean port of Windows 8 with the security turned up to 11. As for legacy apps, since the jailbreak has been released people have been making remarkably quick progress porting over open source apps and there's an x86 emulator that's been released as well (don't expect it to run everything you throw at it though, it's still a WIP and far from optimized).
  9. garak0410's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    392 Posts
    Global Posts
    394 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by HooDooMagic View Post
    Windows RT is a clean port of Windows 8 with the security turned up to 11. As for legacy apps, since the jailbreak has been released people have been making remarkably quick progress porting over open source apps and there's an x86 emulator that's been released as well (don't expect it to run everything you throw at it though, it's still a WIP and far from optimized).
    Is the x86 emulator in the Windows Store or does it need to be "sideloaded"?
  10. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,353 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by garak0410 View Post
    Can't argue with the available space. I am glad I did get a 64 Bit Model.

    I am kind of torn about my Surface. I do like it but I do fall into that mindset, at times, where I wish it did run legacy apps. When it comes to that, I pull out my still workhorse of a laptop with Windows 8 on it to get my GOG.COM games fix! :)
    I feel the same as you. At times I'm really excited about it, and I'll use it daily for a week. Then I want more out of it, what that is I don't know. I picked up an Asus 11.6" Windows 8 touchscreen laptop for 499.00 at BestBuy a few weeks ago. When I don't take my Surface or iPad with me, this comes along. It's pretty thin and light and fills the gap between my Surface RT and my work laptop.
  11. garak0410's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    392 Posts
    Global Posts
    394 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    I feel the same as you. At times I'm really excited about it, and I'll use it daily for a week. Then I want more out of it, what that is I don't know. I picked up an Asus 11.6" Windows 8 touchscreen laptop for 499.00 at BestBuy a few weeks ago. When I don't take my Surface or iPad with me, this comes along. It's pretty thin and light and fills the gap between my Surface RT and my work laptop.
    I really thought about selling my Surface for that ASUS...how has it been for you? I heard the hard drive is a tad slow...
  12. dkp23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,391 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,401 Global Posts
    #12  
    Depends on which POV, I thought they would struggle for a million for the quarter before release, I just didn't see the demand to purchase a surface to be that high. There was high interest sure because people are curious, but that doesn't translate to sales.

    So assuming this number is correct, not surprised, so not so bad and no so good IMO.

    If MS actually thought they would sell 3-5 million which was reported prior to release, if that article and projection were true, im not sure who at MS would think that, but they are likely out of touch with the market. Now if MS is saying 3- 5 million in a year? Possible, in a quarter? I would of said no way, so in that POV, very bad.

    I had a conversation with an MS manager a couple months before the release and he admitted that they would have issues in distribution, they just dont have the channels available to get this out if there was super high demand. So they didn't expect high volume of sales out of the gate since the device would be essentially limited to MS retail stores in the beginning. Since they carry at BB and Staples now, I suspect the demand had died off a bit. So this conflicts with the 3-5 million projection that was originally reported. He also said that MS understood wp8 will probably struggle for a few years, but they are in for the long-term. When I say MS manager, im not talking about a store manager, im talking about a manager in corporate.

    I purchased surface RT on launch day and I am happy with my purchase. I understand the limitations of RT and wanted a "tablet" only device. So I use it basically as a consumption device with the ability to produce with office. What they need to do now is optimize the 1st party apps and get some real apps and games on this thing. I would think they can get a couple of the xbox arcade games on this like a bobblehead baseball or torchlight. I hope they do.
  13. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,353 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by garak0410 View Post
    I really thought about selling my Surface for that ASUS...how has it been for you? I heard the hard drive is a tad slow...
    Hard drive is frustrating! I'm not sure if it's a power saving feature or what, but you can see the lag when I have something set to auto-save. And the hard drive had been making odd noises lately so I may swap it for another. Other than that, it's been great. Although I find I don't use the touch screen much; maybe because I'm in desktop mode most of the time. What I liked most is I could install VS 2012 and SQL Server on it so I can take my work with me without having to remote into my home machine. 4 GB does the job just fine. Battery life has been great on it too.
  14. stephen_az's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    683 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    So where are the real numbers? Its just analysts sounding off again trying to grab a headline to cover up the recent nosedive from apple on the iphone5
    You are correct. It is not a real number. It is just another example that supposed internet journalists embrace the National Enquirer approach to stories. It is speculation from an analyst at UBS that hardly has a track record for much of anything anymore, and then extrapolating that to conclusions that happen to tout the magical iPad. In fact, the alleged analysts appear to be revising upward over their previous numbers based upon this figure. In reality though it is all just speculation from people who want others to not pay attention to those amazing tech portfolios that just aren't as impressive as they would like. Amazon is still not profitable; Google's profits in its core business are still stagnating and they still lost a boatload of money on Motorola; many prominent phone manufacturers are still in dire straits; and Apple really has lost a lot of value and the iPhone 5 really wasn't the greatest product launch in the history of mankind. The list goes on - Facebook, RIM, Samsung's litigation issues, HP's botched acquisitions, Dell's mess, etc.. It is much easier to dwell on a single new product release from Microsoft than deal with the fact that the tech sector is almost as much of a mess as before the bubble burst a decade ago. BTW, they will do the same thing when Surface Pro is released.
  15. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,353 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen_az View Post
    You are correct. It is not a real number. It is just another example that supposed internet journalists embrace the National Enquirer approach to stories.
    .....
    BTW, they will do the same thing when Surface Pro is released.
    So true. And let's not forget that the more shocking a headline is, "Why the Surface Sucks" for example, the more hits the sites get, and the more money they make.

    Any time you say <insert platform here> is better than <insert another platform here>, you are going to generate controversial content..
  16. ohgood's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by garak0410 View Post
    Well, it looks like some real numbers are coming out and there were about a Million Surface's Sold:

    Just one million Surface RTs sold? | ZDNet

    So, with the majority of that time being sold in their stores and online only, is this good or not?

    I for one am enjoying my Surface but I also don't want to be stuck with a doorstop in a short period of time either. Thoughts?
    " Microsoft has only sold one million Surface RT devices since the tablet was released last October, according to UBS analyst Brent Thill. "

    So, its not real numbers.

    You buy a piece of hardware, and enjoy it. Sounds like a win.
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
  17. erasure25's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by garak0410 View Post
    One of the more strange complaints about the Surface RT is how it isn't FULL Windows 8. First of all, iPad isn't full OSX but no one complains. Second, Windows RT is more of a PURE Windows 8, removing all of the possible bloat from legacy support. If Windows 8 and its app store continue to grow, there will be a place for Windows RT.
    Agreed. I find a lot of the complaints from many of these "tech journalists" to be reaching. They complain about something on Surface RT but don't make the equivalent complaint against iPad or Android tablets. I don't know, I have both an iPad 3 and Surface RT and the Surface RT goes with me everywhere because I can do more with it. iPad is great for playing games with friends, but terrible at actually getting any work done.
    garak0410 likes this.
  18. shn'g's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    175 Posts
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by erasure25 View Post
    Agreed. I find a lot of the complaints from many of these "tech journalists" to be reaching. They complain about something on Surface RT but don't make the equivalent complaint against iPad or Android tablets. I don't know, I have both an iPad 3 and Surface RT and the Surface RT goes with me everywhere because I can do more with it. iPad is great for playing games with friends, but terrible at actually getting any work done.
    Yeah this is what people just aren't getting about RT it does so much at an iPads pricepoint, yet they don't understand the use for RT. I think its a great device and if the 1 million is true I would say that's a good number. I think though the big numbers for Microsoft will come with PRO. I have heard soo many people say they are waiting for pro.
  19. ohgood's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by erasure25 View Post
    .....the Surface RT goes with me everywhere because I can do more with it.
    iPad is great for playing games with friends, but terrible at actually getting any work done.
    Does working everywhere sound like more fun than playing games, with friends ? That's your pitch ?

    Work by perspective:

    My kids like "work" on the ipads at school. I bet they would like "work" just as much with whatever was placed in front of them, but I'm not going the guy that says "but its just like what you asked for!" on christmas.

    Make surface BE that device instead of be-just-like. The rest is easy cheese.
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
    Thanked by:
  20. johninsj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    373 Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    Does working everywhere sound like more fun than playing games, with friends ? That's your pitch ?
    I believe his pitch is, if you actually do real work with a tablet, and that real work involves the office suite, the surface is for you.

    My kid has to use an iPad for her highschool - the school issued every kid one. It's working out OK - mostly due to one app that does a good job of allowing markup of PDF files, and by using a stylus. She hates writing on the iPad, even with a bluetooth keyboard. Could the surface do that? Yes, with ease.

    I use my surface for 6+ hours daily at work (haven't undocked my laptop since I got the surface, no more laptops at meetings) and then for a couple hours at home. Never did that with an android tablet, or an iPad.
  21. ohgood's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by johninsj View Post
    I believe his pitch is, if you actually do real work with a tablet, and that real work involves the office suite, the surface is for you.

    My kid has to use an iPad for her highschool - the school issued every kid one. It's working out OK - mostly due to one app that does a good job of allowing markup of PDF files, and by using a stylus. She hates writing on the iPad, even with a bluetooth keyboard. Could the surface do that? Yes, with ease.

    I use my surface for 6+ hours daily at work (haven't undocked my laptop since I got the surface, no more laptops at meetings) and then for a couple hours at home. Never did that with an android tablet, or an iPad.
    I understand different tools for different environments. Ya, a laptop or ultra/slate does great for meetings, that is its place. My point was the poster above was using the "ipad is just a toy" kind of sales pitch.

    People -like- toys.

    I don't believe telling people "this is a serious work machine!" is something that will turn hearts and minds. I see "surface has office" mentioned a lot too. Great. The school/companies pcs have office. The library has office. My old desktop hasss office. That's not really a eye opening WOW thing for people.

    The surface keyboard TECHNOLOGY and sensitivity is wow. The display toughness technology is wow. The body is wow. The arm arch is wow. But office ?

    I hope one person will put down the fanflag and see what I mean. Jusssst one.
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
  22. Dave Blake's Avatar
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

    Posts
    5,662 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    I understand different tools for different environments. Ya, a laptop or ultra/slate does great for meetings, that is its place. My point was the poster above was using the "ipad is just a toy" kind of sales pitch.

    People -like- toys.

    I don't believe telling people "this is a serious work machine!" is something that will turn hearts and minds. I see "surface has office" mentioned a lot too. Great. The school/companies pcs have office. The library has office. My old desktop hasss office. That's not really a eye opening WOW thing for people.

    The surface keyboard TECHNOLOGY and sensitivity is wow. The display toughness technology is wow. The body is wow. The arm arch is wow. But office ?

    I hope one person will put down the fanflag and see what I mean. Jusssst one.

    Wow I bet you didn't think it would be me... I agree Windows RT needs something more to beat the iPad. Price point would be a good start. We can do more with WRT that is a fact but it has yet to be properly utilized. How will Microsoft proceed is a million sold enough to invest the talent in growing the OS? How committed is Microsoft to getting this done. A nice port of Halo even the original would go a long way. I think it will get a little more interesting when the Surface Pro hits I will like to see if that surge pushes Microsoft to do more with RT or less. Only time will tell.
  23. conanheath's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    450 Posts
    Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
    #23  
    I think MS is marketing the RT wrong. I know they want the hip crowd on board, but the whole point of Win8 is for the masses and emerging markets. It is a way to "dumb it down" and make windows appealing to computer illiterate people. I could set my RT in front on my grandmother, show her a few things, and she would be fine operating device and getting what she needs out of it, with no prior computer experience. The reason tablets are replacing computers is because 70% or so of consumers don't need anything more than internet access. I read blogs with power users complaining about W8. Its not for that minority. It is for the casual users or new users. The RT is the perfect device for the casual users with just enough to keep most power users satisfied. My dad can find a virus or lock up a computer without even trying. He has no problem with RT and I don't have to worry about him tinkering and causing problems. I got the RT at launch and just recently picked up laptop with W8. The transition has been a breeze because of my time with RT. I also like that I can have the same app running on my computer and my RT.

    I'm not really concerned with how many RTs are sold. MS will sell them and people will buy them once MS figures out a way to market the devices to the people who will love the OS. They really need to be going after the elderly and casual users. That is where they can sell very well. They also need to drop the price to appeal to that group. RT is not a full laptop replacement and may never be. But it can perform every function the casual users will need in a computer and k.i.s.s.
  24. shn'g's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    175 Posts
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    I understand different tools for different environments. Ya, a laptop or ultra/slate does great for meetings, that is its place. My point was the poster above was using the "ipad is just a toy" kind of sales pitch. People -like- toys. I don't believe telling people "this is a serious work machine!" is something that will turn hearts and minds. I see "surface has office" mentioned a lot too. Great. The school/companies pcs have office. The library has office. My old desktop hasss office. That's not really a eye opening WOW thing for people. The surface keyboard TECHNOLOGY and sensitivity is wow. The display toughness technology is wow. The body is wow. The arm arch is wow. But office ? I hope one person will put down the fanflag and see what I mean. Jusssst one.
    For me office was one of the biggest selling features. Have you tried apples so called office tools? They are garbage and when someone sends you even a written document what is it usually in? Office! I don't get why you want us to put down the fanflag. It's just what we like and are used to just like all the apple fanboys love to show off the amount and quality of their apps. Does iPad have office? No.. Then it is a compelling feature
  25. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfacable View Post
    For me office was one of the biggest selling features. Have you tried apples so called office tools? They are garbage and when someone sends you even a written document what is it usually in? Office! I don't get why you want us to put down the fanflag. It's just what we like and are used to just like all the apple fanboys love to show off the amount and quality of their apps. Does iPad have office? No.. Then it is a compelling feature
    I think the point several posters are trying to make is that "average Joe" or "average Jane" who is not using a device for school or business isn't that interested in Office. Those folks probably are more interested in gaming, watching movies, social media, web browsing.

    How often does one use Office other than for homework or business work? I have Office 2010 Professional, since I got it for $99 when I was a student. The only thing I still use regularly is Outlook. I'll use Word, Excel and PowerPoint occasionally. I never used Access or Publisher.

    I agree with Dave that RT needs more games. There are a lot more iOS/Android games right now, but if RT got the Xbox game titles that would be a huge selling point.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. microsSD cards, which ones work, or not
    By Guzzler3 in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-31-2013, 07:40 AM
  2. to buy or not to buy
    By ChrisWP7 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-08-2011, 08:09 AM
  3. How to know if my phone is branded or not!?
    By netko drugi in forum HTC HD 7 / 7s
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2011, 01:35 AM
  4. Good...or Bad...CLEAN Jokes!
    By hobbesisreal#wp in forum The "Off Topic" Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 07:31 AM
  5. To Imagio or not to Imagio
    By waitemike85#wp in forum WPCentral.com - Site News, Feedback, Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-14-2009, 09:55 PM

Posting Permissions

B