Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I got a Microsoft Surface RT but I think I'm starting to regret that now. I got it because it was really thin an light and it had office; as a student that's really the only program I need. But, it seems that manufacturers are starting be able to make full Windows 8 tablets/convertibles/etc even thinner and lighter and with even cooler designs. And I also think with time, the prices will come down. I think the Surface RT will keep me happy for another year or so but I really think that in about 1 or 2 years, there will be no reason to buy an RT device since the full W8 devices will become just as portable and cheap. So because of that, I will predict RT as being a failure.

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kittshelby View Post
    I got a Microsoft Surface RT but I think I'm starting to regret that now. I got it because it was really thin an light and it had office; as a student that's really the only program I need. But, it seems that manufacturers are starting be able to make full Windows 8 tablets/convertibles/etc even thinner and lighter and with even cooler designs. And I also think with time, the prices will come down. I think the Surface RT will keep me happy for another year or so but I really think that in about 1 or 2 years, there will be no reason to buy an RT device since the full W8 devices will become just as portable and cheap. So because of that, I will predict RT as being a failure.
    Well, on that note, it goes to reason that Win RT machines will get even cheaper and more affordable.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    Well, on that note, it goes to reason that Win RT machines will get even cheaper and more affordable.
    Unless OEMs discontinue RT machines due to poor sales. In that case, what is available will be cheap (think HP Touchpad firesale), but nothing new will be manufactured.

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Unless OEMs discontinue RT machines due to poor sales. In that case, what is available will be cheap (think HP Touchpad firesale), but nothing new will be manufactured.
    They should market RT as an Office machine. Hypothetical scenario: $200-$300 for a tablet (still assuming W8 gets cheaper). Half of that pays for the value of Full Office (what is it, like $120?). I would certainly buy one for each of my children for school.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    They should market RT as an Office machine. Hypothetical scenario: $200-$300 for a tablet (still assuming W8 gets cheaper). Half of that pays for the value of Full Office (what is it, like $120?). I would certainly buy one for each of my children for school.
    That would make sense for most home users. You're right, it is $120 for a single Home & Student 2010 license. I'm not sure what 2013 will cost.

Quote Originally Posted by kittshelby View Post
    In that time there will also be faster and cheaper RT tablets. Technology doesn't only advance on the x86 side.

And for users who want better security without having to worry about getting an antivirus program, RT will still be a better choice. The walled garden of RT will do a good job of protecting itself since you can't install programs from outside of the marketplace.

Yep, in 1-2 years things will get thinner, lighter, faster, cheaper, and have better battery life.

This is always true. I guess none of us should ever buy anything :)

How do you predict this makes any product a failure. The original iPad - is it a failure? It's horribly slow, limited, has a crappy display, and didn't even have a camera!
    The original iPad wasn't all roses, as my friend above points out. Also as he states, Anything you buy will be outdated by the time the week ends. Your best bet, is pick the OS/ecosystem that you take a liking to the most. Essentially what you are doing (especially when you buy in early, like many of us), is investing money in the further development of that OS/device. No body buys in early? No funds to further develop it. More people jump in and give them their money? The larger the funding to make it the best product available. Does Windows RT have some bugs. Very much so. Is it more intuitive than it's competitors? I think so, but that is for each to decide. And that is where I see its biggest advantage. Everything Apple has to offer right now, looks like something out of an 80's Commodore 64 commercial.

Essentially... if you like the theory behind what Windows RT is and see very high capabilities and promising ideas, then invest so they can make it what we hope it will become.
    Thanked by:
    aldovelco likes this.

I completely agree with all of you've said. Now my only problem with WindowsRT is that Microsoft won't start selling it Worldwide D:<!!!
    So frustrating!
    myfyp2 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    In that time there will also be faster and cheaper RT tablets. Technology doesn't only advance on the x86 side.

And for users who want better security without having to worry about getting an antivirus program, RT will still be a better choice. The walled garden of RT will do a good job of protecting itself since you can't install programs from outside of the marketplace.
    Windows 8 includes Windows Defender, which is now an antivirus software. Protecting you from malware - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Windows 8 includes Windows Defender, which is now an antivirus software. Protecting you from malware - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
    Still not anywhere as secure.
    Still not anywhere as secure.
    That's true. However, RT might not be powerful enough for many users. RT would be a good desktop/laptop companion, but not robust enough to replace a desktop/laptop.

That's true. However, RT might not be powerful enough for many users. RT would be a good desktop/laptop companion, but not robust enough to replace a desktop/laptop.
    Nor is it meant to be a desktop/laptop replacement. It's meant to be an android tablet or ipad replacement, where you can continue to do actual real Office work. Which it does really well. Try dumping your powerpoint file to an android tablet (or an iPad) and then hooking it up to a projector with HDMI to run your presentation. Go ahead... I'll wait right here :)
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Agreed.

Though many people nowadays don't even find themselves needing the functionality of a desktop/laptop. I find that many people spend most of their time in a browser or web app.

Many who own iPads may go for weeks without turning on their PC. And then it's only to work on a resume, fax, or other document.
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    2,355 Global Posts
    Agreed.

Though many people nowadays don't even find themselves needing the functionality of a desktop/laptop. I find that many people spend most of their time in a browser or web app.

Many who own iPads may go for weeks without turning on their PC. And then it's only to work on a resume, fax, or other document.
    So true. I get asked by family members/friends all the time "What kind of laptop should I get?". That answer is not so simple anymore. I find most can do without a laptop and a tablet suits them just fine. If I wasn't a developer I'd have no use for a laptop/desktop PC. I'd be just find with a tablet. And at the end of the day I welcome a tablet because it gets me away from the computer I stare at all day long.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12