Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts
    I didn't like this one as much but after the update, there has been a huge improvement!I really like the developer to because on the site for the app it shows what the next version he is working on and what's coming. It loads quick and just works well. I also asked him for some features and bug fixes and he responded to my email very quickly and said he could implement most of them. I like seeing this in a developer because it means he is dedicated to the app and it will get better soon. I think right now for my needs it is the best in the store.

Book Bazaar Reader

Global Posts
    8,017 Global Posts
    I have to agree, Book Bazaar is my favorite at the moment as well.

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    The epub reader options on Windows Store are maturing quickly. Freda had a nice update to allow text sharpness to be controlled which was one of my main complaints with it. Fiction seems really good so far. Now it looks like I need to try Bazaar.

Global Posts
    8,017 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beestee View Post
    The epub reader options on Windows Store are maturing quickly. Freda had a nice update to allow text sharpness to be controlled which was one of my main complaints with it. Fiction seems really good so far. Now it looks like I need to try Bazaar.
    Honestly, that update for Freda is why I gave up on it. Text rendering was so bad, and that setting still didn't really improve it very much. I mean, if the developer thought that was the solution, then it's not something I want to bother with. When you turn the text in Freda to the sharpest setting, the letters are all malformed. When you turn it to the smoothest setting, everything is blurry. None of the other apps works this way.

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Honestly, that update for Freda is why I gave up on it. Text rendering was so bad, and that setting still didn't really improve it very much. I mean, if the developer thought that was the solution, then it's not something I want to bother with. When you turn the text in Freda to the sharpest setting, the letters are all malformed. When you turn it to the smoothest setting, everything is blurry. None of the other apps works this way.
    yeah I can't put my finger on it but Freda has always felt like something is off with it. I do like Fiction but again things are annoying that still need fixes. When I click a link in it and go back to where I left off it changes the page around and never keeps it the same. I find for right now Baazar just runs the smoothest. Every link I hit it goes there almost instantly and when you turn a page it is very smooth and quick compared to a lot of apps.

Text rendering was so bad, and that setting still didn't really improve it very much. I mean, if the developer thought that was the solution, then it's not something I want to bother with.
    The root cause is, I suspect, that Freda is using a Direct2D SurfaceImageSource for rendering text; I did that, in the hope of being able to do more high-performance visual effects in due course. The various 'smoothness levels' that are now available in 'settings' correspond to the range of different anti-aliasing algorithms that Direct2D offers; there aren't any others.
    But I agree that the appearance is unsatisfactory - for some fonts and colour schemes, there is no setting that gives really attractive text. I am still working on a resolution for this issue. One possible answer is to rely on image scaling, but that seems to create problems on some ARM devices. If I don't find any other solution, I will just fall back on using XAML controls for rendering (which I think is how the other ebook readers do it).
    Thanked by:

I use Bookviser on my phone and love it; would be nice to see what a Win8 port would look like. I downloaded the Overdrive MC app after using Freda and have had much better success with it. For instance, one of the technical books I'm reading the code snippets do not show in Freda but works fine with OMC. Now if only they would allow you to sync books with other mobile devices I'd be in heaven.

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loxias View Post
    I use Bookviser on my phone and love it; would be nice to see what a Win8 port would look like. I downloaded the Overdrive MC app after using Freda and have had much better success with it. For instance, one of the technical books I'm reading the code snippets do not show in Freda but works fine with OMC. Now if only they would allow you to sync books with other mobile devices I'd be in heaven.
    I actually overlooked overdrive because I thought it was only for libraries. It is a very good app and actually renders the magazines I read in epub much better than a lot of apps I have seen. But for me I study with them so its just not there yet. Once it has highlighting and notes it might get me to switch but I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxias View Post
    the code snippets do not show in Freda but works fine with OMC..
    Indeed - I spotted this issue a few days back; the handling of CODE and PRE tags got messed up when I ported the code across from Windows Phone 7. I have a fix ready to release (but it won't be released for about two weeks, because I need to avoid disruptions during a 'promotion' of the app by Microsoft).

BTW I have some partly working code for the 'sharing across multiple devices' use-case too. That (when finished) will be complicated, and I will be asking for help with beta testing. So I'd be glad to hear from any volunteer beta testers who are willing to use Freda on two or more Windows 8 devices and/or Windows Phones. Please email me at jim@turnipsoft.co.uk.

Global Posts
    8,017 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flame l View Post
    We're talking about Windows RT and Windows 8, not Windows Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chapman View Post
    Indeed - I spotted this issue a few days back; the handling of CODE and PRE tags got messed up when I ported the code across from Windows Phone 7. I have a fix ready to release (but it won't be released for about two weeks, because I need to avoid disruptions during a 'promotion' of the app by Microsoft).

BTW I have some partly working code for the 'sharing across multiple devices' use-case too. That (when finished) will be complicated, and I will be asking for help with beta testing. So I'd be glad to hear from any volunteer beta testers who are willing to use Freda on two or more Windows 8 devices and/or Windows Phones. Please email me at jim@turnipsoft.co.uk.
    Be happy to help if you'll remind me when you're ready. :D

I read mostly on the Surface but would like to be able to read on the phone when it isn't available. Still on WP 7.5 though. Plenty of Win8 desktops around though.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    How do you guys find using the Surface RT for ereading?
    I'm in the market for a new tablet/ereader so I'm trying to figure out what to get.

Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    For windows 7.5, I use bookvisor. You can upload epub books to SkyDrive, then download the eBook from SkyDrive through the app and add it to your collection.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Global Posts
    8,017 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WasteSomeTime View Post
    For windows 7.5, I use bookvisor. You can upload epub books to SkyDrive, then download the eBook from SkyDrive through the app and add it to your collection.
    I feel like a broken record here:

We're talking about Windows RT and Windows 8, not Windows Phone.

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts
    Book Baazar just got an update and it adds some nice features and bug fixes. Like the addition of margins and line spacing options. This app is getting better and better!

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfacable View Post
    Book Baazar just got an update and it adds some nice features and bug fixes. Like the addition of margins and line spacing options. This app is getting better and better!
    My only complaint with Baazar is that it struggles and sometimes fails to open very large epubs. I do use it for most though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayum View Post
    How do you guys find using the Surface RT for ereading?
    I'm in the market for a new tablet/ereader so I'm trying to figure out what to get.
    I read almost exclusively on my Surface at this point. I believe between the different apps available now there is probably one that will do what you want. Book Bazaar seems to have quite a few options and some nice features. Freda is nice as well and with the developer posting here at least you know your feedback is being read. So far, I think OMC has the best rendering but is lacking features like highlighting that others may need.

I'd also like to see someone integrate with Calibre. I can easily pull up files to import locally, but after using Moon+ on the Nook and Kindle I think the Calibre integration is fantastic. But I'm certainly enjoying the options we have now.
    Last edited by Loxias; 01-23-2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Forgot quote...

Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    I saw someone type 7.5 or windows 8, so i thought why the **** not? You can just use metro reader or calibre.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12