Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    First off, LOVING my new Surface!

Only had it since Friday and have been using it as much as possible over the weekend. Coming from an iPad 2.

I do have a slight concern about battery life at this point. it definitely doesn't seem as good as the iPad 2.

however, I read that MS hasn't yet taken advantage of the power saving 5th core of the Tegra processor.

When or do we even think that this will happen? I don't know an awful lot about the Tegra processor architecture, how does this feature even work?

Discussion welcome.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Global Posts
    2,553 Global Posts
    it is coming. Connected standby right now uses one of the main power hungrier cores. They just need to hook into the 5th powersaving core for connected standby and battery life should increase in that alone.

It only gets better from here so hang tight.

Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    it is coming. Connected standby right now uses one of the main power hungrier cores. They just need to hook into the 5th powersaving core for connected standby and battery life should increase in that alone.

It only gets better from here so hang tight.

That sounds good. I'm really hoping MS push the updates with the Surface.

Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    So, does having a few apps "open" drain battery or does the OS effectively tombstone them when you hit the Start button. They're in the fast app switcher list but are they drawing power?

Global Posts
    2,553 Global Posts
    if they execute background tasks (like getting messages) then yes they would wake up a main core. The 5th core is to be used for doing things like music playback and whatnot.

Tegra 3 Super Chip Processors | NVIDIA

I'm pretty certain in November Microsoft enabled what Nvidia calls DirectTouch, because the display got a lot more responsive and battery life went up some. I don't have proof of this though other than anecdotal. I think they are already using the PRISM display technology, which is why blacks are so deep and color is rich.

Yeah once they optimize it the surface will dominate. The last update made my surface run as smooth as butter, now just gotta work on battery life.

Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    if they execute background tasks (like getting messages) then yes they would wake up a main core. The 5th core is to be used for doing things like music playback and whatnot.
    Hmm, maybe I'll change my email fetch to less often then, I don't really need it on push I guess, that's what my Phone is for. Might help battery life as we'll.

I just came across something interesting typing this reply using the on screen keyboard vs the touch cover. The autocorrect works far more often and far better using the on screen for some reason, it's as good as on my Windows Phone. The touch keyboard is no where as good, I'm constantly having to correct errors. I wonder why that is?

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    I can't wait till they do this.