Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Quote Originally Posted by reepS View Post
    During the semester I do non stop typing for about three hours a day with the type cover(normally one 1hr15m course and another 1hr50m course), it works wonders in onenote. Don't worry about the noise it makes, laptops are louder.
    I had to write a 10 page research paper yesterday, and i don have Microsoft Office on my laptop. So i had to go to the public library, they were closed, then i went to school and typed it there.
    I think the Surface would've been a great help in a situation like this

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MSNY View Post
    I dont want a MackBook Air, alot of people have them at my college, but theyre too big. I want something that is small and light tocarry and also is enables me to do work on, thts where the Surface comes in :)
    Even the 11" ones are too big? I think they're about the same size.

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    You might find this student review useful:

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I went to staples yesterday and I was astounded and sad at the same time..

1. I walked around for a good five minutes before I found the very small surface setup.. I mean the nook and kindle had more advertising.. But the lady said they just got it and very small supply.

2. As an aspiring author and soon to be adjunct professor as a grad student.. I was amazed.. I role-played scenarios where my students or coworkers would need something(device is beautiful).. I opened email, PowerPoint for lectures.. Skype in dire need or for a conference.. Etc..

Nothing short of impressed. I will be picking it up for Christmas as a gift to tearing my Achilles.. I wonder if there is a eBook app or do I use the web.. I would hate to lug around my huge philosophy books.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Quote Originally Posted by justreason View Post
    I I wonder if there is a eBook app or do I use the web.. I would hate to lug around my huge philosophy books.
    Kindle work for you? It's a FANTASTIC kindle reader.

Here, let me show you a couple screenshots: portrait, landscape, some options, and snapped to the side with one note open for notes (you could make one note smaller, and the book bigger of course...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot-2-.png   screenshot-4-.png   screenshot-3-.png   screenshot-5-.png  

Yeah the kindle app is on there, I got a paperwhite to read books on, don't care to read on tablets, but the kindle app is boss. Amazon made a great decesion in offering the app on every platorm around.

Quote Originally Posted by zzdarkwingduck View Post
    Yeah the kindle app is on there, I got a paperwhite to read books on, don't care to read on tablets, but the kindle app is boss. Amazon made a great decesion in offering the app on every platorm around.
    I have a kindle device too. It's really handy to have the same library on the surface if I don't feel like (or happen to have) the reader with me. And my kindle device isn't backlit, which kinda fails in the dark :)

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    MBA _______Surface
    11.8"w _____10.8"w
    7.56"d _____6.77"d
    .68"thick ___.37"thick
    2.3lbs _____1.5lbs

Quite a bit smaller and lighter than an Air.

I have a Windows RT surface with flash on board. But when I go to the desire2learn 4cd edu it doesn't let me watch the video's or interact with the system it just says to download Adobe Flash.

Global Posts
    2,682 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raven183 View Post
    I have a Windows RT surface with flash on board. But when I go to the desire2learn 4cd edu it doesn't let me watch the video's or interact with the system it just says to download Adobe Flash.
    its not a whitelisted site then. you have to go through and manually add that site to the whitelist. I do the same with webassign.net
    Try out my first Windows 8 app, ModernCalc! It's free and I would love to hear your feedback!

Phones: Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30, Ipod Nano 2nd gen (x4), Ipod touch 16gb 2nd gen
    Tablet: Surface for Windows RT

Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Me too for my class sites that require flash... Just use the white list updater app (batch file). WPCentral has posted this app a few times. Way easy to use.

Does anyone have any experience using the Surface RT with SAS or Statistics suites? I am taking graduate classes for a degree in Applied Statistics. Looking at my remaining requirements it appears that are they only two software requirements that I really need.

I found xLstat which works with Excel, but I'm not sure if it will work with Excel RT and I haven't found any word whether SAS will have any support for RT. Do I have a chance with RT or should I just save up and spring for the Pro when it is released?

Thanks.

Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Studying, and avoiding STDs should do you fine throughout college.
    ~Sal

Global Posts
    2,682 Global Posts
    I'm not familiar with that so I can't answer your question, but I can remind you (I too need certain software for school) that TeamViewer and Remote Desktop work flawlessly with almost no lag on the RT (that's how I use puTTY, Visual Studio, and Eclipse from school). Hopefully what you're looking for works, but if not there's always the alternative!
    Try out my first Windows 8 app, ModernCalc! It's free and I would love to hear your feedback!

Phones: Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30, Ipod Nano 2nd gen (x4), Ipod touch 16gb 2nd gen
    Tablet: Surface for Windows RT
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123