Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DougB541#CB

Is there any way to get flash on the Surface without having to update the whitelist?

Alternatively, are there any apps that allow you to access flash through their servers similar to Flash Cinema on Windows Phone?

Thanks!

Global Posts
    2,675 Global Posts
    to address your first question, no! No way to get flash (on non whitelisted sites) without changing the whitelist for IE.

as far as apps that allow you to access flash through their servers, i havnt seen any (wasnt exactly looking though)
    Try out my first Windows 8 app, ModernCalc! It's free and I would love to hear your feedback!

Phones: Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30, Ipod Nano 2nd gen (x4), Ipod touch 16gb 2nd gen
    Tablet: Surface for Windows RT
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by berty6294 View Post
    to address your first question, no! No way to get flash (on non whitelisted sites) without changing the whitelist for IE.

as far as apps that allow you to access flash through their servers, i havnt seen any (wasnt exactly looking though)
    this is not true. you can add a domain as debug domain the the registry to enable flash.
    Developer

this tool modifies the white list for you, you just don't have to do it yourself..

** Removed for being completely false **

The real (corrected) rule is this:
    • If you use the desktop version of Internet Explorer 10 in Windows 8 (not RT), you can run all Flash content, without restriction.
    • If you use the desktop version of IE 10 on Windows RT or the Metro version of IE 10 on either platform, Flash content runs only if the domain hosting that content is listed on Microsoft's Compatibility View list
    Last edited by msdugn; 01-29-2013 at 12:57 AM.

Global Posts
    2,408 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msdugn View Post
    The whitelist only applies to IE Metro. IE Desktop has Flash built-in and has no whitelist - Flash is available on all sites.
    Well, that's completely false.
    kashk5 likes this.

There's no way to whitelist all websites? I've been slowly adding to the white list but its a pain
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Quote Originally Posted by justinm001 View Post
    There's no way to whitelist all websites? I've been slowly adding to the white list but its a pain
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    There isn't. In fact, even the 'debug' setting to test your site for Flash behaviors requires input of a single site name. There's no 'global' switch for all sites.

See Ed Bott's insights on ZDNet here: An inside look at Internet Explorer 10's mysterious Flash whitelist | ZDNet

Global Posts
    2,675 Global Posts
    well that was released after my post, so yeh there kinda is now. Still does the same thing though.
    Try out my first Windows 8 app, ModernCalc! It's free and I would love to hear your feedback!

Phones: Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30, Ipod Nano 2nd gen (x4), Ipod touch 16gb 2nd gen
    Tablet: Surface for Windows RT