Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Captain_J's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
       #1  
    Think like the iPad smart cover. Sometimes I just need a tablet and a plain jane cover. If it could connect to the magnets on the surface that would be great!

    The touch cover is too expensive and heavy to use just as a cover. I primarily have the type cover but I always find myself ripping it off when I just want to browse the web.
  2. DougB541#CB's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,408 Global Posts
    #2  
    The feel of the Type Cover made me choose the Touch Cover as i wanted a cover first/keyboard second.

    I agree, they should have a cheap cover as well, but i think they want to push the productivity factor of the surface.

    EDIT: though they have publicly said 3rd parties will have access to the Touch Cover connector area at some point.
  3. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,413 Global Posts
    #3  
    I"m still looking for a simple portfolio case for it. I don't mind the Touch cover, but it doesn't offer the protection I want when I take it with me.
  4. shn'g's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    175 Posts
    Global Posts
    482 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    I"m still looking for a simple portfolio case for it. I don't mind the Touch cover, but it doesn't offer the protection I want when I take it with me.
    I have a touch cover as well and want more protection to take it with me as well. I think though that as time goes on more aftermarket covers will come out with just plain covers copying the idea of the ipad covers.
  5. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,413 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfacable View Post
    I have a touch cover as well and want more protection to take it with me as well. I think though that as time goes on more aftermarket covers will come out with just plain covers copying the idea of the ipad covers.
    I think so too, especially when the Surface Pro comes out. A whole bunch of accessories will probably be out after that (I hope).
  6. stephen_az's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    746 Posts
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    I think so too, especially when the Surface Pro comes out. A whole bunch of accessories will probably be out after that (I hope).
    Don't bet on it. The iPad smart cover works because of a magnet in the cover and magnetic sensor in the tablet. Unless an after market company licenses the technology from Microsoft to trigger the sensor in the Surface connector, all an iPad style cover will do is flip backwards and otherwise flop around.
  7. lemonsteveo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    73 Posts
    #7  
    I hope there will be third party covers as I refuse to pay so much for a keyboard cover. There's actually a lot of third party covers that work with the magnets on the iPad and activates it. Some are probably not even licensed, the vendors (mostly from China) must have worked out the connectors.
  8. Gken's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    204 Posts
    #8  
    If I'm not mistaken apple patented the magnetic cover so you are SOL.
  9. popartist's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    #9  
    Actually I would not mind a non-keyboard version of the touch/type cover, that probably would be my usual daily cover using it as a tablet, and would mean less wear and tear on my touch cover - save that for when I am traveling or otherwise will need the keyboard.
  10. Captain_J's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
       #10  
    ^^ exactly man.
  11. wp8nyc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by popartist View Post
    Actually I would not mind a non-keyboard version of the touch/type cover, that probably would be my usual daily cover using it as a tablet, and would mean less wear and tear on my touch cover - save that for when I am traveling or otherwise will need the keyboard.
    Exactly what I want. If it could also fold up to provide a but of lift while my surface is laying on a flat surface like the iPad cover does that would be perfect.
  12. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,413 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by wp8nyc View Post
    Exactly what I want. If it could also fold up to provide a but of lift while my surface is laying on a flat surface like the iPad cover does that would be perfect.
    Yes, now you're talking. Something to put it at that nice typing angle when typing on screen.

Similar Threads

  1. Would love a Strava-esque GPS app for cycling
    By baseballbert in forum Developers Corner
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-08-2013, 04:44 AM
  2. would you love the KidZone feature?
    By 12Danny123 in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-30-2012, 06:32 AM

Posting Permissions