Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    2,424 Global Posts
    Acer Iconia W510 Windows 8 Pro tablet available at Microsoft's online store for $399 | Windows Phone Central

Anyone thinking of selling their Surface for this Acer? I know is has lesser hardware and no Office, but is being able to run any Windows application a good trade off? I really like my Surface, but I see it's limitations after having it for a month. Well, limitations for what I want to do with it. And at $399, it's a good deal.

Global Posts
    838 Global Posts
    I wouldn't assume the hardware is lesser, the atom in there is a brand new design. Here's a rough idea for how they stack up (the samsung has the same chipset):

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/wi...r-trail-vs-arm

Also http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/re...-ativ-smart-pc
    Last edited by oldpueblo; 11-27-2012 at 01:25 AM.
    Thanked by:
    NickA 

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts
    Which apps do you plan to add to a 32GB Windows 8 tablet? Windows 8 will take at least half of that 32 GB by itself not including swap file/cache. Add a few large apps (Office, Photoshop, Acrobat,) and you will find you are limited to MicroSD for file storage and access. I can assure you that will slow down performance and the device is hardly a performance record setter in the first place. I have also seen nothing on Acer's web page or at the Microsoft store to confirm it is any more than a MicroSDHC slot. Throw in as well that you give up the full size USB port for a micro-USB port. That then makes using external drives a bit more of a nuisance. Altogether, I view this as an example of you get what you pay for and what you are paying for is not very much.

Global Posts
    2,424 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swyost View Post
    Which apps do you plan to add to a 32GB Windows 8 tablet? Windows 8 will take at least half of that 32 GB by itself not including swap file/cache. Add a few large apps (Office, Photoshop, Acrobat,) and you will find you are limited to MicroSD for file storage and access. I can assure you that will slow down performance and the device is hardly a performance record setter in the first place. I have also seen nothing on Acer's web page or at the Microsoft store to confirm it is any more than a MicroSDHC slot. Throw in as well that you give up the full size USB port for a micro-USB port. That then makes using external drives a bit more of a nuisance. Altogether, I view this as an example of you get what you pay for and what you are paying for is not very much.
    There a time tracking/invoice app that I'd like to use on a tablet (I'm a developer and it would help when visiting clients). There's also a financial app I use that syncs the desktop version with my iPad. There's nothing in the RT store that fits my needs for this situation, and I have years of data invested into this system.

The downside to the Acer is the keyboard dock is 250 bucks. It does add 9 hours of battery life, but now you're talking 650 bucks. For that price I would probably wait and see what the Surface Pro pricing is, or consider an ultra book.

Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    There a time tracking/invoice app that I'd like to use on a tablet (I'm a developer and it would help when visiting clients). There's also a financial app I use that syncs the desktop version with my iPad. There's nothing in the RT store that fits my needs for this situation, and I have years of data invested into this system.

The downside to the Acer is the keyboard dock is 250 bucks. It does add 9 hours of battery life, but now you're talking 650 bucks. For that price I would probably wait and see what the Surface Pro pricing is, or consider an ultra book.
    Surface Pro won't be less than $999, guaranteed. Though I would still choose it over an ultrabook (even the dirt cheap ones) given how nice the formfactor of Surface Pro is.
    Nokia Lumia 1520 RM-937 w/ 64GB MicroSD card
    Microsoft Surface 2 32GB w/ Type Cover 2

Smartphone History: iPhone 3G 8GB -> iPhone 4 8GB -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Nexus S -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Lumia 900 -> Lumia 920 -> Lumia 1520

My Blog: PixelWin

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4...25834/xboxone/

From the reviews of the W510 that I've read, I think you will be very disappointed in build quality going to the W510 from the Surface. I would also not be surprised if the screen is worse on the W510.

Global Posts
    2,424 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martinblank64 View Post
    From the reviews of the W510 that I've read, I think you will be very disappointed in build quality going to the W510 from the Surface. I would also not be surprised if the screen is worse on the W510.
    Yeah, I tend to agree after looking more into it. And it's not 399.00 anymore. The low price for a full W8 tablet is what initially attracted me. But the keyboard dock being 250 bucks is a deal breaker.