Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    Two tablets, one USB cable... this could get messy ;)

radioage54 likes this.

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    In this video I show you how to perform a right click windows action when you don't have a mouse. Long press with your finger.

radioage54 likes this.

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    In this video I give the Surface RT a little bit of a push and load up 10-15 applications all at the same time. I also investigate how the tablet manages all these applications in terms of displaying them to the user.

radioage54 likes this.

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    In this video I get stuck trying to apply the flash whitelist method to a website. Help, I don't know what to do! :(

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    In this video I show you how to do some simple navigation basics in the desktop environment.

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    In this video I very briefly revisit a couple of gripes about applications from previous videos to say that things are improving. The first generation apps are starting to find their feet, but there is still a long way to go before parity with other tablet operating systems.

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    Here's another video where I vent (and rant) my frustrations over the lack of font size support on Windows RT apps. Three technology apps (you would think these would go **** for leather to make sure their apps were accessible) fail to produce a font size that matches the Surface RT screen size.

And I give some more love to the News Republic app team ;)

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    In this video I, er, get fed up with the Surface over what is probably trivial thing.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I'd love to see a couple long term user reviews now that you guys have had them for a couple months of daily use.

hi, try the whitelist tool. theres a thread on this site with a link from where to download it from. run the tool and then it only requires a few clicks to complete the process. worked ok for me

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    I have tried the first version of that tool and it didn't work. I believe he has just updated though so I need to try again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by vgjfelix View Post
    I have tried the first version of that tool and it didn't work. I believe he has just updated though so I need to try again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    works extremely well for me.

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    No ranting today. Just a basic video about multi-tasking.

Global Posts
    1,283 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmstrong View Post
    I'd love to see a couple long term user reviews now that you guys have had them for a couple months of daily use.
    I don't think anyone can be considered a long term user just yet. I've had mine for a little over a month. It works fine. I've created a few docs in Word and Excel with no problem, I email with no problem, browse the web with almost no problems (do need to look into this whitelist thing more). So far, it has done everything I need it to. I hardly get on the desktop computer unless I'm just killing a few minutes.

Is there something specific you're looking for?

PM me for more details

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    In this video I look at the grey area of when you're not quite sure whether something will work on the Surface RT or not and the difficult, clouded position the tablet puts itself in in the tablet market.

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    In this video I do something admittedly a little bit boring. I write my script for the video on the Surface RT to test out how quickly I can type. Enjoy... if you can ;)

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    In this video I test how quickly emails are received by the native mail application on the Surface RT, and compare it to android devices.

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    In this video I chuck everything I can find at the Microsoft Surface RT's USB port. The results... are pretty good :)

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    In this video I show you that it's possible to zoom in and out of 'some' apps although it's not obvious to you if you don't know you can do it.

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    In this video I show you how you can increase the speed of your browser (a little bit) and protect your tablet from harmful websites at the same time using tracking protection lists.

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    Hey all. Been away for a few weeks because I've been putting together this

This is my full and honest review of the Microsoft Surface RT. The first and showcase Windows RT tablet computer that sees Microsoft propel itself into this new and rapidly emerging market.

My views and opinions come from three months of using the device. Of course no matter how long a video review is it can't cover everything so apologies if you think I've missed anything.

Like it or hate it, agree or disagree, share your thoughts in the comments.

I have decided at this point that I've completed my Surface RT journey so I am going to sell it. I will continue to do more videos until it is sold but I can't imagine that will take took long.

Thanks for watching and supporting my videos.

vgjfelix

Global Posts
    1,283 Global Posts
    ^ that's to bad. I've enjoyed your video tips. I'm not a power user by any stretch of the imagination, but my RT does just about everything I need it to. I guess that's why I find it so hard to believe some people don't like it. For me, it just works.

PM me for more details

Global Posts
    383 Global Posts
    I just discovered this thread. You put an amazing amount of work into this. I'm surprised after all these videos you felt Surface is an inferior device but I think I am most disappointed by your conclusion that there is no better solution than purchasing multiple devices, such as a Nexus 7 and a laptop. Surface definitely works better for me than what I was using before, which was carrying around a 15" laptop, an iPad, a phone and a Nook Simple Touch. Now I have the Surface, Nook Simple Touch and phone.

I am extremely excited by the Yota Phone and want a 6-7" version of this device.
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,178 Global Posts
    Thanks for you full and honest review. There are some things that I disagree with, such as closing apps. I find that one quick swipe is more ideal than Apple's solution. Another issue you mentioned are apps that simply scroll text with no page breaks. I agree, that's poor app design but not particularly a design flaw of the operating system itself. I also found that I'm not as bothered by the niggles that you mentioned. For example, the battery symbol not showing an actual percentage number. IMO, whether I see a number or not is irrelevant. My remaining battery life will still vary by usage. You also mentioned how poor of a job the Surface does at resting on your lap like a laptop can, but isn't that the same flaw with all tablets? I use an iPad 2 at work and I haven't found a perfect "lap propping" method for that either. I think the review loses objectivity with such comparisons. Finally, I agree that Microsoft definitely has some catching up to do. Like you said, they are two years too late. However, I disagree with your Gamecube comparison. The Gamecube is inferior from a technical standpoint with zero hardware options. Surface and Windows RT can come in a variety of hardware options, most of which can match (or exceed) some of the other competing tablets on the market. Yes, I would also like to see more software available for Windows RT (though I'm honestly quite happy with Office, Hulu/Netflix and IE10) but I knew that Microsoft wouldn't just magically erase Apple's/Google's lead simply because it says Windows on it. Microsoft has a long, hard road ahead of them. However, that road is necessary if Microsoft wants to survive. Everything is going mobile. Microsoft has to do the same.
    Zeroplanetz likes this.

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    A nice range of constructive opinions here so here are my responses

Another issue you mentioned are apps that simply scroll text with no page breaks. I agree, that's poor app design but not particularly a design flaw of the operating system itself.
    True but I do think Mircosoft's 1st party apps act like a template which other developers have used so it's a worrying trend

IMO, whether I see a number or not is irrelevant. My remaining battery life will still vary by usage.
    It makes a huge difference to mean. I can't tell whether it's got 20% or 40%. Does it need charging before you take it out for the day or not. Difficult to tell immediately.

You also mentioned how poor of a job the Surface does at resting on your lap like a laptop can, but isn't that the same flaw with all tablets?
    For most tablets you hold it because it doesn't come with a keyboard so it's not exactly a flaw - they're just not designed to be typed on extensively. As said in the review, the kickstand by itself is a good idea, but it's there because the keyboard doesn't offer any support. The keyboard is unusable on your lap which is a classic tablet position. So the surface hints at this extra functionality but only in very certain conditions. The Asus Transformer series got this right and many other Windows RT tablets.

Finally, I agree that Microsoft definitely has some catching up to do. Like you said, they are two years too late. However, I disagree with your Gamecube comparison. The Gamecube is inferior from a technical standpoint with zero hardware options.
    I admit I just plucked the Gamecube concept randomly out of the air. It was a response to a few comments on other Surface videos I've done where people are saying I should compare the first windows tablet to the first apple ipad which as a consumer you just can't do.

I think, ultimately, the Surface RT is a very subjective tablet. It does have a sweet spot for some people that makes it an ideal device, but I think that sweet spot is so small it doesn't capture enough of an audience. Plus I can't get over how expensive it is.

Anyway, appreciate the constructive feedback and I respect your opinions which were well made. I'm happy to to agree to disagree.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast