Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
Like Tree2Likes
  1. MikeInBA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    70 Posts
       #1  
    I have a lumia 920, and i was wanting to send some photos over bluetooth to my Surface RT. To my surprise i get a "this device does not support sharing" error on my 920. That seems odd. Am I doing something wrong?
  2. Jf.Vigor's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    115 Posts
    #2  
    Nope. You're doing nothing wrong... Things you think should work in tandem... Don't. Such as surface and windows phone playing nice with each other. A prime example - I should be able to smart glass a video from my Lumia to my surface
  3. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,776 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,892 Global Posts
    #3  
    Sorry, MS really screwed the pooch on this one. Windows Phone is sorely missing BT profiles. The ones we took for granted in Windows Mobile are inexplicably missing here. Before anyone goes off on an iPhone rant, my company-supplied 4S and my iPad3 can't even see each other. As I understand it, Android has stopped PAN profiles as of ICS. I'm not too familiar with the goings on over at the Dark Side so maybe someone can chime in.
  4. MikeInBA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    70 Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jfVigor View Post
    Nope. You're doing nothing wrong... Things you think should work in tandem... Don't. Such as surface and windows phone playing nice with each other. A prime example - I should be able to smart glass a video from my Lumia to my surface
    Yes! I think the same. I found it so odd there was no way to to control xbox music on my surface from my 920. Also, is it not odd that you cant share photos with xbox either over smartglass? Unless im missing something on that as well.
  5. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,224 Posts
    #5  
    I think this is one reason that Steven Sinofsky is no longer with MS. He didn't play well with other divisions, and MS really needed someone who was going to work well with Windows Phone and XBOX.
  6. crav4speed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    343 Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jfVigor View Post
    Nope. You're doing nothing wrong... Things you think should work in tandem... Don't. Such as surface and windows phone playing nice with each other. A prime example - I should be able to smart glass a video from my Lumia to my surface
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    Sorry, MS really screwed the pooch on this one. Windows Phone is sorely missing BT profiles. The ones we took for granted in Windows Mobile are inexplicably missing here. Before anyone goes off on an iPhone rant, my company-supplied 4S and my iPad3 can't even see each other. As I understand it, Android has stopped PAN profiles as of ICS. I'm not too familiar with the goings on over at the Dark Side so maybe someone can chime in.
    With all due respect, if people knew how to use these services correctly, misinformation like this wouldn't get spewed all over this place.

    It's very simple:

    1) Confirm that your 920 is paired properly and shows up under "Devices" in the control panel. If it is not paired, please do so.
    2) Swipe the charm bar and search "bluetooth" under settings and tap "Change Bluetooth Settings",
    3) Make sure "Show the bluetooth icon..." is checked,
    4) Now that you have the icon in the notification area and both devices are turned on and paired properly, you can now begin sending and receiving files from your brand spankin' new Lumia 920 by right-clicking or long-pressing the bluetooth icon and tapping "Send a File" or "Receive a File".

    To the OP, the problem you are having is you're not tapping "Receive a File" on the Surface before trying to send from the 920. You can send a file to the 920 without having to initiate the "receive" but on the Surface, you MUST go into Desktop Mode and then you MUST tap "Receive a File" first under the blutooth notification icon. Is it an ideal process? Absolutely not. Can it be better? Absolutely yes! But that's the way it is so deal with it. Also, remember, Windows Phone 8 now comes with multi-select, so when you're transfering photos, you can multi-select a bunch of photos and send them to the Surface. Enjoy!

    If I've helped, please hit the Thanks button. :)
    Windows - Surface RT

    Windows Phone - Dell Venue Pro | Nokia Lumia 920 | Nokia Lumia 1520

    Windows Mobile - i-mate SP5 | HTC 8525 | HTC Touch HD

  7. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,776 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,892 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by crav4speed View Post
    With all due respect, if people knew how to use these services correctly, misinformation like this wouldn't get spewed all over this place.

    It's very simple:

    1) Confirm that your 920 is paired properly and shows up under "Devices" in the control panel. If it is not paired, please do so.
    2) Swipe the charm bar and search "bluetooth" under settings and tap "Change Bluetooth Settings",
    3) Make sure "Show the bluetooth icon..." is checked,
    4) Now that you have the icon in the notification area and both devices are turned on and paired properly, you can now begin sending and receiving files from your brand spankin' new Lumia 920 by right-clicking or long-pressing the bluetooth icon and tapping "Send a File" or "Receive a File".

    To the OP, the problem you are having is you're not tapping "Receive a File" on the Surface before trying to send from the 920. You can send a file to the 920 without having to initiate the "receive" but on the Surface, you MUST go into Desktop Mode and then you MUST tap "Receive a File" first under the blutooth notification icon. Is it an ideal process? Absolutely not. Can it be better? Absolutely yes! But that's the way it is so deal with it. Also, remember, Windows Phone 8 now comes with multi-select, so when you're transfering photos, you can multi-select a bunch of photos and send them to the Surface. Enjoy!

    If I've helped, please hit the Thanks button. :)
    With all due respect, the 920 has a smattering of BT profiles as compared to phones from other platforms. OPP is generally limited to contacts and calendars while OBEX is relegated to file transfers. The Lumia 920 lacks this profile which is probably why the OP is having difficulty. Besides the aforementioned OPP, the 920 only supports HFP, PBA and the usual audio profiles (A2DP & AVRC). There are feature phones that provide more profiles than Windows Phone. I stand by my original post.
  8. MikeInBA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    70 Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by crav4speed View Post
    With all due respect, if people knew how to use these services correctly, misinformation like this wouldn't get spewed all over this place.

    It's very simple:

    1) Confirm that your 920 is paired properly and shows up under "Devices" in the control panel. If it is not paired, please do so.
    2) Swipe the charm bar and search "bluetooth" under settings and tap "Change Bluetooth Settings",
    3) Make sure "Show the bluetooth icon..." is checked,
    4) Now that you have the icon in the notification area and both devices are turned on and paired properly, you can now begin sending and receiving files from your brand spankin' new Lumia 920 by right-clicking or long-pressing the bluetooth icon and tapping "Send a File" or "Receive a File".

    To the OP, the problem you are having is you're not tapping "Receive a File" on the Surface before trying to send from the 920. You can send a file to the 920 without having to initiate the "receive" but on the Surface, you MUST go into Desktop Mode and then you MUST tap "Receive a File" first under the blutooth notification icon. Is it an ideal process? Absolutely not. Can it be better? Absolutely yes! But that's the way it is so deal with it. Also, remember, Windows Phone 8 now comes with multi-select, so when you're transfering photos, you can multi-select a bunch of photos and send them to the Surface. Enjoy!

    If I've helped, please hit the Thanks button. :)

    Thanks for the info, ill try it when i get home. On a related note, what sent me on this adventure was a YouTube video I saw during the BUILD conference. On this site I saw a video of somebody sharing a photo from the 920 to the Surface. I could have sworn he used Tap-To-Send to transfer the photos....but I cant find the video for the life of me.
    Thanked by:
  9. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,519 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,520 Global Posts
    #9  
    Does sound like a pairing problem, seeing as the Surface has no nfc. With the Vivo RT I can send web links from my 920 but it wont accept pictures or music if BT is not turned on which seems to support the theory that BT pairing is needed on the Surfact to transfer files, something the NFC connection on the Vivo takes care of before transferring the files over BT.
  10. crav4speed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    343 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    With all due respect, the 920 has a smattering of BT profiles as compared to phones from other platforms. OPP is generally limited to contacts and calendars while OBEX is relegated to file transfers. The Lumia 920 lacks this profile which is probably why the OP is having difficulty. Besides the aforementioned OPP, the 920 only supports HFP, PBA and the usual audio profiles (A2DP & AVRC). There are feature phones that provide more profiles than Windows Phone. I stand by my original post.
    I created this video just for you:

    http://tinyurl.com/d9kkdjf

    Excuse the crappy quality as I took the video with my Dell Venue Pro. Still stand by your original post?
    Windows - Surface RT

    Windows Phone - Dell Venue Pro | Nokia Lumia 920 | Nokia Lumia 1520

    Windows Mobile - i-mate SP5 | HTC 8525 | HTC Touch HD

  11. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,776 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,892 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by crav4speed View Post
    I created this video just for you:

    http://tinyurl.com/d9kkdjf

    Excuse the crappy quality as I took the video with my Dell Venue Pro. Still stand by your original post?
    I stand semi-corrected as for OBEX on WP8. BTW, those are some beautiful kids, congratulations.
  12. MikeInBA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    70 Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by crav4speed View Post
    It's very simple:

    1) Confirm that your 920 is paired properly and shows up under "Devices" in the control panel. If it is not paired, please do so.
    2) Swipe the charm bar and search "bluetooth" under settings and tap "Change Bluetooth Settings",
    3) Make sure "Show the bluetooth icon..." is checked,
    4) Now that you have the icon in the notification area and both devices are turned on and paired properly, you can now begin sending and receiving files from your brand spankin' new Lumia 920 by right-clicking or long-pressing the bluetooth icon and tapping "Send a File" or "Receive a File".
    .

    That worked! thanks
  13. crav4speed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    343 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    I stand semi-corrected as for OBEX on WP8. BTW, those are some beautiful kids, congratulations.
    thank you sir! They are my pride and joy :)

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInBA View Post
    That worked! thanks
    You're welcome :)
    Windows - Surface RT

    Windows Phone - Dell Venue Pro | Nokia Lumia 920 | Nokia Lumia 1520

    Windows Mobile - i-mate SP5 | HTC 8525 | HTC Touch HD

  14. ctitanic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #14  
    I have being using the send and receive files with my old Nexus One and it works fine.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
  15. avazee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    28 Posts
    #15  
    Bluetooth is not working for me, using my Lumia 920 and Surface RT. I successfully paired the two devices, however, from my Lumia I select the Surface device to connect to (from the Bluetooth menu), it says "connected" for 2-3 seconds and then switches to "not connected". I cannot get it to stay on connected.

    Is anyone else having this issue? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,
    slmsd1968 likes this.
  16. fyefai's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #16  
    Yes I am having the exact problem as well. After activating BT on my phone, and confirming the pin is correct on both devices, there shows an installing bar, which semi completes, then goes to 'not connected'. after selecting the surface from my phone, surface's response is that it removes the 'offline' status from the phone for a few seconds, then it returns, then the phone goes from connected to not connected. I have made sure my surface allows devices to see it, and it works when I wire it, but they both have BT to connect to for a reason. Anyone find a solution to this?
  17. sportex's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    94 Posts
    #17  
    my 8x connects for a few seconds then disconnects, so anyway I attempted send a file from my phone to my surface and it worked. Think it must be a bit different from connecting mobiles via Bluetooth. As long as you can see the phone in devices on the surface it should be ok
  18. crav4speed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    343 Posts
    #18  
    You have to tap "Receive file" on the Surface before sending from the phone.

    On the Bluetooth notification icon, long press or right-click, tap "receive file" and that puts the tablet in receiving mode. Then from your WP8 device, you can now send the file.

    Sorry, but I deleted the video I linked to previously but the above should work.
    Windows - Surface RT

    Windows Phone - Dell Venue Pro | Nokia Lumia 920 | Nokia Lumia 1520

    Windows Mobile - i-mate SP5 | HTC 8525 | HTC Touch HD

  19. Safety Cam's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #19  
    CRAV4SPD

    you seem very knowledgeable, maybe you can help me too. BT pairing between windows 8 pro and samsug ativ s win 8. devices connect then a couple seconds later disconnect. I can re-connect, but every time it just disconnects again.

    Any ideas?

    thanks in advance
  20. HeyCori's Avatar
    Mod Emeritus

    Posts
    5,115 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,140 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety Cam View Post
    CRAV4SPD

    you seem very knowledgeable, maybe you can help me too. BT pairing between windows 8 pro and samsug ativ s win 8. devices connect then a couple seconds later disconnect. I can re-connect, but every time it just disconnects again.

    Any ideas?

    thanks in advance
    It works like that for all Windows Phone. It will automatically reconnect when you try to send/receive a file.
  21. LA6507a's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    Does sound like a pairing problem, seeing as the Surface has no nfc. With the Vivo RT I can send web links from my 920 but it wont accept pictures or music if BT is not turned on which seems to support the theory that BT pairing is needed on the Surfact to transfer files, something the NFC connection on the Vivo takes care of before transferring the files over BT.
    Hey there, how do you share your web links from your 920 to your VivoRT? I have a Surface RT. There is no bluetooth option for sharing from IE on the 920.
    Thanks!
  22. HeyCori's Avatar
    Mod Emeritus

    Posts
    5,115 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,140 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by LA6507a View Post
    Hey there, how do you share your web links from your 920 to your VivoRT? I have a Surface RT. There is no bluetooth option for sharing from IE on the 920.
    Thanks!
    Tap syncing is supposedly coming in IE11 which should be releasing later this year. No word yet on how it will work.

    IE11 to include tab syncing - Neowin
    Thanked by:
  23. Groover1971's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
    #23  
    It was very confusing and frustrating trying to pair my Lumia 822 with my Surface RT. I did the same things that all of you guys did. It would pair for a few seconds and then disconnect. I searched online and found this thread.

    Now it works like a charm (pun intended). I have only tried sending pictures. Its very similar to Tap and Send because you have to accept the exchange. Another really quick way to send photos with a Nokia is to use Photobeamer app and Photobeamer.com.
    Thanked by:
  24. gsh528's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #24  
    Will be getting a Windows Phone soon but, in the meantime, have paired my ancient iPhone 3GS with my Surface RT. How do I transfer files from the Surface to the iPhone?

    And what else can I do with this connection?

    Thanks!
  25. mariusmuntean's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    #25  
    iphone cannot receive files via BT, unless it's jailbroken so hurry up and get a wp :)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Multi-Player Game over Bluetooth?
    By Panathas in forum Developers Corner
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-25-2012, 04:36 PM
  2. Visual Voicemail doesn't play over bluetooth headset?
    By Leaver in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 11:05 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-17-2012, 10:10 PM
  4. read texts over bluetooth? NOT!
    By Chowdah72 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 06:53 AM

Posting Permissions