- 11-17-2012, 09:08 PM #1
So I do realize that it isn't really that long that we have had Surface but I think long enough to be able to tell what we like now and what we don't. For me I really am enjoying the device. My wife just recently got me the touch cover and that just adds to the experience. I don't think I could picture using it without it now, just to have the option and get some work done on it. Having said that I think we all know there are a few things that we want to see from the device in the future. So at this time next year this is my list for what I would want:
1. A move away from desktop and more into the tiles set up. I don't care how much they change, but in a year I would like to see at least some of the control panel settings into the app area settings. I for one actually like having the ability to go into the desktop area and fool around with files and folders and settings, but at the same time I believe it is confusing to the average person who just wants to pick up the device and dive in.
2. This one might be a little bit picky but I would like some refinement for the touch cover. For instance right now when I use a two finger scroll then switch to just flicking the mouse around, there is a one or two second delay, also the volume goes mute every once and awhile. I believe this could be a quick fix in an update though.
3. Most major apps. I don't have to have all of them but some of the big names would be nice. A nice refined Ereader for your own epub files would be nice. twitter, facebook, instagram, pinterest, flip board etc. and some more games which I know will be coming.
#4 is a dream thatI can wish all I want for but probably won't get.
4.XBMC!!!! this system is absolutely perfect for xbmc and I would be ecstatic if it came.
5. A designated notifications area. Possibly a siri like competitor, but this isn't as high on my list and wouldn't be disappointed if it didn't happen.
So there's what I want to see (sorry I know a bit long winded).. Anything your wanting to see by next years time on Surface?
- 11-17-2012, 11:31 PM #3
I understand why the desktop is in windows 8, but the fact that its in windows rt is just plain laziness. I cringe everytime the desktop opens. So yeah, I agree with that point.
I'd like to see a much better text input. The wp7/8 is so good, I'm not sure where they went wrong. Selecting a letter, or place in a sentence, without the track pad, is such a headache.
- 11-18-2012, 03:45 AM #4
11-18-2012, 10:39 AM #6
- 1,644 Posts
Same for me. Surface would be a far worse product for me without desktop.
On an another note where-ever mainstream tech goes, I hope there will be premium quality products with Surface's form factor years from here. I want basically an upgraded Surface when it's one day time to upgrade again. Doesn't have to be Microsoft, but the same amazing premium feel and the form factory is mandatory! :D
Last edited by Coreldan; 11-18-2012 at 12:11 PM.
- 11-18-2012, 12:23 PM #7
Seems strange to me that anyone would purchase a Surface with the intention of mainly using the desktop, especially since you can't install desktop apps. Why not wait for the Surface Pro? Each to their own I guess.
As for the keyboard, my main issue is the text selection. It's a real pain to select a specific spot in a sentence without the touchpad. On wp7/8, you can bring up the moveable cursor quite easily. Again, just my opinion. Otherwise, I find the onscreen keyboard to be very similar to the wp7/8.
- 11-18-2012, 01:57 PM #9
yeah I guess it really is just personal preference when it comes to the desktop. Like I said I don't mind fooling around in the desktop but just would like a more main area for settings. it gets annoying having 2 sets of settings. and with some social sites I don't agree that the website is good enough.. take pinterest for example when trying to repin something you actually cant without the use of a mouse. so maybe this could be a fix in explorer but sometimes the app versions of a website can give you really nice touch interface. IMO
- By v10type-r in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 41Last Post: 11-07-2012, 07:03 PM
- By ArchieCoder in forum Windows Phone AppsReplies: 0Last Post: 03-16-2012, 12:13 AM
- By BlobDude in forum Windows Phone AppsReplies: 10Last Post: 09-10-2011, 10:33 AM