Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By KingCrimson
  • 2 Post By jimski
  • 1 Post By crystal_planet
  1. karnka's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    61 Posts
       #1  
    So, I'm wondering if anyone else is having the problems I am with touch covers.

    My understanding is that the following should be true:

    Attach touch cover, put stand out, put on desk, give it a couple of seconds and keyboard will work.
    Close touch cover, screen will go off
    Open touch cover, keyboard will work
    Flip touch cover round the back, keyboard will be disabled
    Flip touch cover back round, keyboard will work

    None of the above works reliably on mine. Sometimes I'll have to flip the cover around several times, turn the screen on and off with the power button or remove/reattach the cover a few times. It will then work for a while. It does however very rarely turn the screen off when i close it.

    I've had the touch cover replaced by MS to no avail.

    Is this a wide spread issue (ie the software is ****e), I haven't read anyone else saying this... or is something wrong with my Surface :-(
  2. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,015 Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by karnka View Post
    So, I'm wondering if anyone else is having the problems I am with touch covers.

    My understanding is that the following should be true:

    Attach touch cover, put stand out, put on desk, give it a couple of seconds and keyboard will work.
    Close touch cover, screen will go off
    Open touch cover, keyboard will work
    Flip touch cover round the back, keyboard will be disabled
    Flip touch cover back round, keyboard will work

    None of the above works reliably on mine. Sometimes I'll have to flip the cover around several times, turn the screen on and off with the power button or remove/reattach the cover a few times. It will then work for a while. It does however very rarely turn the screen off when i close it.

    I've had the touch cover replaced by MS to no avail.

    Is this a wide spread issue (ie the software is ****e), I haven't read anyone else saying this... or is something wrong with my Surface :-(
    Writing this on my Surface with TouchCover. All of the above work just fine for me. I dont think it's a widespread issue, but I've heard a handful of similar reports here. Chances are either the touchcover or your Surface is defective. You live any close to an MS Store?
  3. VagrantWade's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,399 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    #3  
    Had none of these issues.
  4. karnka's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    61 Posts
       #4  
    I live in the UK so it's going to be a massive hassle sending the surface back and getting a replacement methinks :(
  5. Adiliyo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,968 Global Posts
    #5  
    mine was having those exact issues, they tried to change the touch cover and that wouldn't help, then they exchanged my surface for a new one, old touch cover still wouldn't work, then they changed that with a new one too, now everything works fine.

    probably a bad batch of both out there, but really happy with the customer service i got at the msft store.
  6. karnka's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    61 Posts
       #6  
    Thanks to everyone for making me sure that I'm not just being a bit crazy or that the product is plain poor.

    It's clear that the Surface must be faulty so I'll arrange to have it replaced with Microsoft and then (hopefully) one of the two touch covers I have will work perfectly!
  7. KingCrimson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    631 Posts
    #7  
    Well anyone who actually buys a Surface RT right now is a glorified beta tester....
    ylksa likes this.
  8. karnka's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    61 Posts
       #8  
    Constructive
  9. txaggies07's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    198 Posts
    Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by karnka View Post
    Thanks to everyone for making me sure that I'm not just being a bit crazy or that the product is plain poor.

    It's clear that the Surface must be faulty so I'll arrange to have it replaced with Microsoft and then (hopefully) one of the two touch covers I have will work perfectly!
    Let us know how the exchange goes. I hope the next one works much better for you.
    Current Phone: Nokia Lumia 920
    Past Phones: iPhone 4, Motorola Atrix, Samsung Focus, Samsung Focus Flash, Nokia Lumia 900, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4

    Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro, Nexus 7
  10. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,348 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson View Post
    Well anyone who actually buys a Surface RT right now is a glorified beta tester....
    Yeah, and every other product released now a days. There's such a rush to get things out. This product seems pretty solid though so I'm not sure what you mean.
  11. jimski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,254 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    #11  
    Both my touch and type covers work perfectly. And yes, I love being a beta tester. Got three software programs (two well known brands) not playing nice with my new Asus i7 desktop running Win8. Trying to help support figure it out. **** happens. Even Forrest knows that.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
    NickA and ammn like this.
  12. berty6294's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,681 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,682 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Yeah, and every other product released now a days. There's such a rush to get things out. This product seems pretty solid though so I'm not sure what you mean.
    Not to mention, being a "beta tester" for Microsoft is much better than other companies! I mean, I would call everything Zune beta and boy did I love that experience! I think Microsoft treats their "beta testers" right with upgrades and perks. I mean a couple times I got an email giving me free ms points or free month of Zune pass for being a long time Zune owner!
    Try out my first Windows 8 app, ModernCalc! It's free and I would love to hear your feedback!

    Phones: Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30, Ipod Nano 2nd gen (x4), Ipod touch 16gb 2nd gen
    Tablet: Surface for Windows RT
  13. shn'g's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    175 Posts
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by berty6294 View Post
    Not to mention, being a "beta tester" for Microsoft is much better than other companies! I mean, I would call everything Zune beta and boy did I love that experience! I think Microsoft treats their "beta testers" right with upgrades and perks. I mean a couple times I got an email giving me free ms points or free month of Zune pass for being a long time Zune owner!
    yeah I have had soo many beta feeling products lately its not even funny! To be honest the quality on a lot of things in my eyes has just gone down even with all the advancements cause the products are soo mass produced. Surface is really good to me though, doesn't feel like it was rushed at all! to be fair the first gen ipad i had was very good to, but to me had less components that all worked together like surface has
  14. stephen_az's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    683 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson View Post
    Well anyone who actually buys a Surface RT right now is a glorified beta tester....
    Anyone who buys any tech product on any day is a glorified beta tester, whether that product is a first release or some later update. Do you have a point or are you just making sure you have had some internet visibility?
  15. smoledman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    955 Posts
    Global Posts
    981 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by swyost View Post
    Anyone who buys any tech product on any day is a glorified beta tester, whether that product is a first release or some later update. Do you have a point or are you just making sure you have had some internet visibility?
    I never had any issues with my 1st gen iPad, never ever ever ever. I felt like a got a perfect finished product. Guess what, no problems with 2nd or 3rd gen iPads either!

    Some splitting Surface Touch Covers reported
  16. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    963 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
    I never had any issues with my 1st gen iPad, never ever ever ever. I felt like a got a perfect finished product. Guess what, no problems with 2nd or 3rd gen iPads either!

    Some splitting Surface Touch Covers reported
    The iPhone 5 is making up for it though, isn't it? Crap maps, scuff gate, problems with wifi and on it goes. And it's 5th generation.

    Wow.

    You have zero credibility.

    Common iPad problems: how to solve them | News | TechRadar

    Yup. No problems at all.
    My next phone...
    theefman likes this.
  17. yaoye78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    #17  
    Looks like you have a faulty one... why not contact MS for a replacement.

    Mine works great. Closing touch cover does not necessary immediately turn off screen though (I tested it in the dark).

    Quote Originally Posted by karnka View Post
    So, I'm wondering if anyone else is having the problems I am with touch covers.

    My understanding is that the following should be true:

    Attach touch cover, put stand out, put on desk, give it a couple of seconds and keyboard will work.
    Close touch cover, screen will go off
    Open touch cover, keyboard will work
    Flip touch cover round the back, keyboard will be disabled
    Flip touch cover back round, keyboard will work

    None of the above works reliably on mine. Sometimes I'll have to flip the cover around several times, turn the screen on and off with the power button or remove/reattach the cover a few times. It will then work for a while. It does however very rarely turn the screen off when i close it.

    I've had the touch cover replaced by MS to no avail.

    Is this a wide spread issue (ie the software is ****e), I haven't read anyone else saying this... or is something wrong with my Surface :-(
  18. justop26's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    468 Posts
    #18  
    Mine is working perfectly fine.
  19. karnka's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    61 Posts
       #19  
    Microsoft are shipping a replacement Surface on Monday. Sending back the faulty one separately. Good customer service.

    Hope this one works!
  20. karnka's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    61 Posts
       #20  
    Just received the replacement. The difference with the keyboard is huge. Has worked every time I've tried to use it, exactly as it should.

    I'm retaining a little healthy skepticism and will see how it goes by the end of the day but very pleased with MS support.
  21. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,348 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by karnka View Post
    Just received the replacement. The difference with the keyboard is huge. Has worked every time I've tried to use it, exactly as it should.

    I'm retaining a little healthy skepticism and will see how it goes by the end of the day but very pleased with MS support.
    That's great to hear, hope this one doesn't give you any issues.

    There have been some other reports about how good the MS customer service has been, so it sounds like they are trying to do things right.
  22. karnka's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    61 Posts
       #22  
    The outsourced CS guys who run the European store operation were very poor. The people I'm dealing with now are termed 'escalation support engineers' and have been nothing but helpful.
  23. Gken's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    185 Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by karnka View Post
    The outsourced CS guys who run the European store operation were very poor. The people I'm dealing with now are termed 'escalation support engineers' and have been nothing but helpful.
    Wow that is pretty awesome, you should ask for a few microsoft points for the trouble. Couldn't hurt! Microsoft needs to either make more stores PRONTO or release this to retailers, really hurting the sales.

Posting Permissions

B