Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 43 of 43
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Cornbean7077's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
       #26  
    Thanks for the info guys!!!
  2. Highdefjunkie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by kane4fire View Post
    You'll never get an official source but talking to a person I know who works at Microsoft store, says the number of people returning their surface is almost 1/4 of how many have bought. Going into the San Jose store, there's always a line of customers returning their Surface.

    Google doc's will suffice for 99.9% of all students. Quick Office or even some of the iWork's app's is an adequate substitute for people being productive on the iPad.
    I find this hard to believe, because I only read a few people here and there returning it. In fact it was quite the opposite at the store I was at (which was packed) and the sales guy said this is our third restocking.
  3. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,348 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by kane4fire View Post
    You'll never get an official source but talking to a person I know who works at Microsoft store, says the number of people returning their surface is almost 1/4 of how many have bought. Going into the San Jose store, there's always a line of customers returning their Surface.
    LOL. So you are basing your "number of returns is staggering" statement from some dude you know that works in one store? Wow, those are some solid facts. So you have a store employee, and a line of customers. Hmm, sounds like a good enough sample size to me.
  4. Gken's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    185 Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by kane4fire View Post
    You'll never get an official source but talking to a person I know who works at Microsoft store, says the number of people returning their surface is almost 1/4 of how many have bought. Going into the San Jose store, there's always a line of customers returning their Surface.

    Google doc's will suffice for 99.9% of all students. Quick Office or even some of the iWork's app's is an adequate substitute for people being productive on the iPad.
    I dunno that last statement you made is pretty broad. I just had someone ask me at a Starbucks about formatting his resume on his ipad and I really tried to help him. Anyone who does serious document work appreciates Word, no matter what version it is since the shortcuts and general format is the same. In the Legal field MSWord is pretty invaluable. There was wordperfect but that kind of petered out.
  5. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,348 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gken View Post
    I dunno that last statement you made is pretty broad. I just had someone ask me at a Starbucks about formatting his resume on his ipad and I really tried to help him. Anyone who does serious document work appreciates Word, no matter what version it is since the shortcuts and general format is the same. In the Legal field MSWord is pretty invaluable. There was wordperfect but that kind of petered out.
    And it's not just Word. It's comical sometimes the way a Google presentation formats some of my PowerPoint presentations. And the other intangibles like you mentioned; shortcuts for example, just can't be duplicated. Google Docs is useful for quick and dirty work, but for any kind of serious word processing it's really hard to beat Word.
  6. Cornbean7077's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
       #31  
    So, it says it's in stock, but everytime I add it to cart, it gives me an error. Why Microsoft? D:
  7. Cornbean7077's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
       #32  
    I ordered it!!!! :D
    NickA likes this.
  8. bpgui's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    122 Posts
    Global Posts
    467 Global Posts
    #33  
    Picked one up last night at the St. Louis galleria. I was waiting for the Pro, but after spending a good deal of time playing with the display models* my wife mentioned she'd like one, so I got to buy an RT now, and when the Pro comes out, give it to her and I get the pro.

    *during which time several people bought one, and I didn't see a single return
    Quote Originally Posted by Gken View Post
    In the Legal field MSWord is pretty invaluable. There was wordperfect but that kind of petered out.
    There's one guy left at my firm that still uses Wordperfect.
  9. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,348 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bpgar View Post
    There's one guy left at my firm that still uses Wordperfect.
    Let me guess, he runs that next to Lotus 1-2-3?
  10. KingCrimson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    631 Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA44 View Post
    And it's not just Word. It's comical sometimes the way a Google presentation formats some of my PowerPoint presentations. And the other intangibles like you mentioned; shortcuts for example, just can't be duplicated. Google Docs is useful for quick and dirty work, but for any kind of serious word processing it's really hard to beat Word.
    Can you explain which features you use in MS Word that Google Docs don't have?
  11. emigrating's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    42 Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson View Post
    Can you explain which features you use in MS Word that Google Docs don't have?
    Are you seriously suggesting that Google Docs is a replacement for Office? ****, it's not even a good replacement for the Office Web Apps.

    Anyway, back to the original topic - shifting them from stores to the fulfillment center wouldn't do anyone any favors and there are very good reasons why they are no longer allowing pre-orders of [temporarily] out of stock models. As for there being a high return-rate, this is the first I've heard of this, could you please provide me with the details of store in question so I can look into this?
  12. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,348 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson View Post
    Can you explain which features you use in MS Word that Google Docs don't have?
    What @emigrating said above this post. I'm not going to run down a list of features that Word has the GDocs does not. I'm not saying GDocs is a bad tool, but it's simply not a replacement for MS Word. And they are not trying to be a replacement, just an alternative when you need to do some basic editing.
  13. Jason De Castro's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    #38  
    Has anyone ordered a surface that isn't out of stock? If so how long did it take to ship? Im a very impatient person :)
  14. DonMorris's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    39 Posts
    #39  
    I am wondering the same thing. I placed an order for the 64GB model in the UK this morning and my order process has not changed all day; Status: In process.

    I can wait but would like to have an estimated date at the very least.
  15. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,348 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMorris View Post
    I am wondering the same thing. I placed an order for the 64GB model in the UK this morning and my order process has not changed all day; Status: In process.

    I can wait but would like to have an estimated date at the very least.
    Has your credit card been charged? Normally they won't charge it until it ships. Also, some members here reported that even after their Surface got delivered, their order status still said Processing.
  16. DonMorris's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    39 Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Has your credit card been charged? Normally they won't charge it until it ships. Also, some members here reported that even after their Surface got delivered, their order status still said Processing.
    The funds have been reserved but no actual charge has taken place. I'll keep an eye on the money then, thanks ;)
  17. emigrating's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    42 Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMorris View Post
    The funds have been reserved but no actual charge has taken place. I'll keep an eye on the money then, thanks ;)
    I think they are back on track now so delivery should only be a couple days at within the UK.
  18. DonMorris's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    39 Posts
    #43  
    Well it arrived this morning :) No email confirmation and the money has not yet left my account.

    By pure chance I was working from home today when the UPS man delivered it.

    It is still early days but overall I am very happy with my purchase.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

B