Developer

Well, i read this in another forum today. I think it would be useful in case you plan to buy the microHDMI cable from microsoft.

Microsoft Surface MicroHDMI is NOT Proprietary.. This $5.99 cable work - Neowin Forums

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Yea Microsoft themselves said this before the surface even released
    I think it's proprietary because they added an analog signal. Normal HDMI does not support analog signals, hence, proprietary.

- analog as in able to use the VGA adapter

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    I bought a cheapo one from Amazon and it works but doesn't seem to sit in the Surface properly, sometimes I need to wiggle it around to make a proper connection.

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Savior View Post
    I think it's proprietary because they added an analog signal. Normal HDMI does not support analog signals, hence, proprietary.

- analog as in able to use the VGA adapter
    It's not proprietary. The cable I had lying around worked fine when I connected it to my Visio tv.

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    I don't understand... are people saying you have to use the Microsoft hdmi cable? I already had a micro hdmi to hdmi in adapter.. plugged it into surface, then the hdmi cable into it. There were no problems at all. Everything works and looks great
    Quote Originally Posted by mister2d View Post
    It's not proprietary. The cable I had lying around worked fine when I connected it to my Visio tv.
    HDMI is digital which is not what I am saying. The Surface port supports analog which normal HDMI does not support.

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Savior View Post
    HDMI is digital which is not what I am saying. The Surface port supports analog which normal HDMI does not support.
    Will the normal person be able to notice a difference? I'm honestly wanting to know! I like things to look good but have no problem with the normal hdmi, but would it look a lot better?
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfacable View Post
    Will the normal person be able to notice a difference? I'm honestly wanting to know! I like things to look good but have no problem with the normal hdmi, but would it look a lot better?
    Probably not. Digital is better anyways. Microsoft probably added the analog capability to make the Surface more business friendly for users that need a VGA connection.

I purchased the Microsoft HDMI to VGA cable and have exactly the same problem. When plugged into the Surface the connector is really sensitive. When I try to touch the screen the VGA display goes away and then comes back. I also notice that the analog signal strength is less then the laptop. I was hoping to use it in my classroom to replace my laptop but it has a vary intermittent connection with the projector, partly because of the connecor and partly becasue of the low output signa. Using my VGA monitor it connects just fine but flickers as I use the touchscreen. I am frustrated because I purchased the Surface so I could use it in the classroom.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I bought a $4 cable on eBay and it works fine. I haven't had any problems with the integrity of the connector either.

I also have the official Microsoft mini-HDMI-to-VGA connector/converter, and it works great too, and no issues with connection there either.

Brent

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Which one did you buy? Can you post the auction?

I had my rt connected to my tv with a £5 hdmi cable for the 1st time last weekend. had to wiggle it about to get a proper connection and had to cut a bit of the casing to make sure the connector was pushed all the way in to the rt to allow audio. it played fine but its not perfect having to wiggle the cable. I also noticed some fuzziness and pixilation on the rt screen. when I disconnected rt from tv. some parts of the screen still had this problem. I restarted the rt and everything seemed to be ok. not happy