Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Just curious who is enjoying this more than the ipad. I for one, have had all the iPads at some point or another and lots of android tabs, and I have to say I'm actually enjoying this way more than those even tho this one still needs some software tweaking lol. So share ur thoughts on the tabs

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I am.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    I have sold an iPad and nexus 7. This sexy beast is now replacing my laptop

Yes, and an iTunes for WinRT would probably double the value of the Surface. So Apple won't make one... I wrote a mail to Eddie Cue asking for it nevertheless...

Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    I have sold an iPad and nexus 7. This sexy beast is now replacing my laptop
    I still think nothing beats the iPad for entertainment though, won't sell it. I don't believe my two years old boy could manage to learn using the Surface as he does the iPad. Plus he would miss all his great apps.

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    <<Raises hand.

Thank the good Lord I don't have to even look at iTunes anymore. That piece of crap software I'd almost consider malware and the second I booted up the Surface, swiped across the screen a few times, and knew that I had finally found a worthy competitor, I immediately uninstalled that crapware.

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I'm arriving

Global Posts
    2,348 Global Posts
    Good thread OP. I was wondering how many iPad users picked up the Surface. I've had at least a half dozen Android tablets, but still go back to my iPad. The Surface might be the one that puts the iPad to rest for good. It's not that I don't like the iPad; I think its a great tablet. It's smooth, fluid and the apps look good. I'm just always looking for something different and not what everyone else has.

So anyway, the iPad it put away for now so I'm forced to reach for the Surface instead. So far I'm not missing it that much, and we'll see how the rest of the week goes.

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I've had all the ipads since the first and am very happy I moved to surface. There are obv less apps but with growth and more developers coming aboard I'm not too worried about that. I love the functionality and features and feel it is superior to the iPad in that regard. Running two apps at once is brilliant.

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    The only thing I miss are magazine apps. The few that I read (automobile, motor trend, wired, car and driver) all offered free digital copies with a print sub, which was usually cheaper than digital only. Google Play doesn't let you use print subs for access either. Hoping that B&N partnership opens up some more print choices for the surface, but other than that I'm iPad and nexus 7 free now

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fishgen View Post
    I still think nothing beats the iPad for entertainment though, won't sell it. I don't believe my two years old boy could manage to learn using the Surface as he does the iPad. Plus he would miss all his great apps.
    Well I'm not 2 years old. But this confirms my statements of how the iPad is for small children and old people.

Global Posts
    2,081 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fishgen View Post
    Yes, and an iTunes for WinRT would probably double the value of the Surface. So Apple won't make one... I wrote a mail to Eddie Cue asking for it nevertheless...
    For some reason that brought up an odd image of someone using iTunes on a Surface to sync content to an iPad connected via USB. Lol.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Well I'm not 2 years old. But this confirms my statements of how the iPad is for small children and old people.
    ....and again with the arrogant and obnoxious comments dismissive of anyone who doesn't share your enlightened view of the world. Congratulations on keeping your record intact.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swyost View Post
    ....and again with the arrogant and obnoxious comments dismissive of anyone who doesn't share your enlightened view of the world. Congratulations on keeping your record intact.
    Calm down forum stalker. Your inability to comprehend posts is making you look stupid. No one was being dismissive of anything. No one was disagreeing with the person I quoted.

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    I have a iPad 2 and haven't powered it on at all this week to give me time with the surface. Last year I bought a S2 and I lasted 2 days before returning it and was convinced that I wouldn't find anything to replace my iPad/iPhone.

Happy to report that Love my Surface but there are some short comings that I hope can be fixed:

Battery life is no where near the iPad I took mine of charge at about 11:30 and 12 hours later with minimal use it is down to 58% unlike my iPad that only need charging once a week.

The lay out of the browser some of it is very nice but I don't like having to swipe down to show the other tabs and up to bring up the address bar. Also it seems to struggle with a lot of sites with slow load times.

IE hardly ever gets redirected to mobile sites and when it does it is the ancient ones that were used for GPRS browsing which males sites like Youtube a pain to navigate.

But there is a lot to love the file system that alone is worth the price of entry, the mulit tasking I was browsing a resturant website today and wanted to send my wife the menu all I had to do was bring up the charm menu and select email. The email app slid in and let me do what i needed it. Just superb.

The built in apps like Xbox Music needs a overhal it is missing far too many simple things which makes using it a headache.

But on the whole I am very impressed it really takes things to the next level and beyond and this is just the beginning.

Coming off an iPad1 to the surface. Overall I love the surface, it's still missing some apps that I used a lot on my ipad (53-Paper and Penultimate are two that come to mind) but other than that I coping fine (Zinio has a few limitations compared to the iPad version though)

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swyost View Post
    A sense of humour. Get one.

They're really nice to have.
    My next phone...
    Thanked by:
    VagrantWade likes this.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal_planet View Post
    A sense of humour. Get one.

They're really nice to have.
    Yea I don't really know what his problem is. First I made a joke about how easy it is to do things on the surface, and then a joke about who iPads are good for, and he acts like I'm Hitler's grandson.

I haven't picked up my wife's iPad since I got the surface.

Global Posts
    356 Global Posts
    No I still have my iPad 3. I need it for playing games and reading my magazines.
    For everything else the surface works just fine.

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts
    I've had all the iPads, gambled I'd like the Surface and sold my iPad 3 a couple days before getting my Surface. So far I'm loving my Surface and have no regrets! ��

As other posters have said it's not perfect but between the form factor, the kickstand/cover, live tiles and the multi-tasking amongst other things I think its the best tablet I've ever owned.

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Copied from a post I made in the Surface Review thread...
    I'm absolutely thrilled with my new Surface. Besides my earlier question on the RT forum asking how to "select" a single photo, the learning curve is almost a non-issue. I love swiping between open programs and the ease of navigating around. The touch keyboard does take some getting used to (I havent' used it enough to be hyper-proficient but can type pretty quickly on it when I'm sitting at a desk in a proper position), and having access to office is great.

The realization I have had is that, for me at this point in time, it isn't an iPad (or iPod Touch) replacement. Why? Simply stated the more obscure app selection that I've grown to use on my iPad for home-related devices.

* Sonos - I truly wonder if/when they'll have an RT app. You can install the desktop SW on Pro, but we're talking RT. No web interface available to my knowledge.

* My Yamaha receiver - not holding my breath. I use the app all the time to control zones, launch Pandora, etc.

* Nest Thermostat - again I wonder (especially given their Apple pedigree though they do have Android apps). They do have a web interface that I could probably use.

* Logitech Squeezebox (pre Sonos device I still have) - who knows? They too have a web interface - slightly clunkier than the app IIRC.

* Future home automation projects - I guess we'll see.

I guess what I'm saying is that I need a glorified remote at home for all of these connected devices, and I one can always rest assured that iOS will have an app that's needed, whereas until the RT ecosystem really gets a serious install base some of these more "niche" device companies probably won't allocate the resources to RT (I hope I'm wrong).

To be perfectly clear I don't think that's necessarily a negative for the Surface. Spend $199 or whatever an iPod Touch costs and have that be the glorified remote hanging out on the coffee table, but otherwise have the Surface for all other consumption & creation needs.

My only other "knock", if I can call it that, is that since game developers develop specifically for the iPad I wonder whether the breadth of RT offerings (over time) will be as optimized. IMO Jetpack Joyride is an example of a game on the Surface that is playable and fine, but not as crisp & smooth as the iPad. I'm chalking that up to being optimized for the iPad vs. being playable on the Surface if that makes sense.

All in all, I love the device and short of when I need to control those specific home devices I doubt I'll be touching the iPad much if at all....(though I hope they come out with a few decent tower defense games soon)

Yea I don't really know what his problem is. First I made a joke about how easy it is to do things on the surface, and then a joke about who iPads are good for, and he acts like I'm Hitler's grandson.
    I don't mind, however just because something is easy to use does not mean it for children only. Being an intuitive easy to use device was a key success for iOS, and now we throw it away like and old dog. It's not fair. In contrary to Android, I really welcome Surface, because it will make a good competition. They have to finally start innovating on the software side at Cupertino. Android was just a copy of the whole iOS philosophy, and was an inferior thing. It may have matured to something useful, but still nothing really different.mdont get me wrong I know it's a totally different thing, it just does not feel like it was a distinctive thing. Now that is what Windows rt brings to the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by johndandison View Post
    The only thing I miss are magazine apps. The few that I read (automobile, motor trend, wired, car and driver) all offered free digital copies with a print sub, which was usually cheaper than digital only. Google Play doesn't let you use print subs for access either. Hoping that B&N partnership opens up some more print choices for the surface, but other than that I'm iPad and nexus 7 free now
    Zinio is out for the surface. Its OK for a first attempt - There are a few things that could do with some improvement (pinch to zoom, speed of page rendering, background downloading of a single issue) but all in all its not too bad for version 1

All my subscriptions transferred over and I read my copy of this months NYLON on it !! :)

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I have owned 8 different tablets within the year including the 2nd and 3rd gen iPad. Like another poster mentioned I am always on the hunt for something new. With all my tablet experiences basically I use it for light web browsing, Netflix, word processing, and social integration. The surface presets these to me in a fresh way. I had W8 on my PC a few weeks ago and absolutely fell in love with metro style. Obviously we know the apps aren't quite there yet, but the ones that are truly developed for the tablet are brilliant. The ability to truly multitask running several apps at once blows my mind. The wife is getting my the keyboard for Christmas and ill he anxious to see how much more I enjoy a real word processor. On my to do list as well is hooking up a HDMI out. If you can deal without a lot of game apps and some other vital ones on iPad you will be pleased with the switch. If you need the selection you will be disappointed. The more on the bandwagon the better though. The good news is WP 8 is getting a lot of those must have apps. Excited to get either the lumia 920 or HTC 8x!
    kittengirl likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast