View Poll Results: Did you buy the 32GB or 64GB Surface RT?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • 32 GB

77 65.25%
  • 64 GB

41 34.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I purchased the 32 GB, but I also use a 64GB msdsx card with drive to directory mapping and library links. I keep all my media files, always the largest single consumer of data space, on the SD card. I haven't really installed a ton of apps, so I still have 11GB free on board. Since I can also attach a portable USB drive for movie files for times when I'm stationary like sitting on the airplane for hours, that also allows me to meet my usage profile pretty handily.

Got the 32 with 64 card, not a problem for me but I do feel the pain for the 32 runs up just without your notice
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    garwee likes this.

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    32GB and a 64GB SD card for media and documents works fine for me
    you can link the files on the SD to your normal documents folders so its seemless just swap cards in an out as you find the need to. SD cards are cheap and the cloud services are expanding with skydrive, dropbox, box, google drive etc

they should probably make little plastic stick on pockets for your cards on the back.

how many apps do people really need on these things anyway?

Went to Best Buy last night to pick up a micoSD card. Was looking at a SanDisk Ultra 64GB that was listed on sale for $59.99. The sales guy said he didnt know it was on sale and wanted to check the price. Regardless, he said, since it was listed on the rack on sale I would get that price. When he ran it in it came up on the register for $49.99. As soon as I saw that I said "ring it up". Winning!

I ordered the 64GB from the MS Store. Glad I did. I'm so happy with this device that I have it on me at all time. I purchased a nice black/blue Incipio pocket case to protect it more. I highly recommend getting the pocket case. If you're curious if the case can house both the keyboard and Surface, yes it can.

As for space, I have no need to expand it just yet. I add a few videos so I can watch them during my lunch, but once I done with the movie or show, I delete it. So for now, I'm good.

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    I got the 32 GB and a 64 GB microSDXC. I did the junction linking to the SD card so my docs, music, photos, and vids default to saving on the card. With the junction linking, RT thinks the files are still on the C drive and thus gets indexed. I have no regrets. If I need more space, I might move the 5 GB restore partition to a USB stick, but I can't see that happening any time soon.

I hope Microsoft is hard at work reducing the size of Windows RT or at least create a separate SSD just for WIndows RT & recovery partition next time and leave the full 32GB available for the user.

I bought a 32GB Surface, and i'm gonna take a microSD card, maybe 32 GB too. What type of microSD did you take? Is a Class 4 enough ?

i am down to 17 GB free on my 32 GB device. After the OS, the 3 GB recovery partition, and MS Office and my apps. I did uninstall some of the surface apps that came with it that i don't plan to ever use (like travel and news). That was about 600 MB right there. The games are really what take up the most space I will say, but it depends on how many games you want on your tablet I guess.

Between skydrive, microSD card, USB external harddrive, and remote desktop, i really have no reason to store any REAL media on the device itself. Reducing the size of the OS would be nice for sure, and there are many threads on this forum and on the internet about moving the backup parition to a USB drive and freeing the 3GB from the device itself there. Though this wont be something the average user would do, im not sure how many "average" users are using the surface RT.. I feel like there isn't enough education and only flashy "look at our colors!!!" ads out there right now.. Most people probably don't know that it comes with MS Office 2013.

Global Posts
    2,481 Global Posts
    heh, the travel and news apps take up 600Mb? Uninstalling :)

Quote Originally Posted by PHVL View Post
    I bought a 32GB Surface, and i'm gonna take a microSD card, maybe 32 GB too. What type of microSD did you take? Is a Class 4 enough ?
    I got a 32 gb microsdhc and its really good. I got it during black Friday for about 20 dollars. Definitely opt for class 10 if you can. Transfer speed is worth the cost. I wouldn't worry too much about brand. Newegg has a 3rd party company that has gotten great reviews.

Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by erasure25 View Post
    I got the 32 GB and a 64 GB microSDXC. I did the junction linking to the SD card so my docs, music, photos, and vids default to saving on the card. With the junction linking, RT thinks the files are still on the C drive and thus gets indexed. I have no regrets. If I need more space, I might move the 5 GB restore partition to a USB stick, but I can't see that happening any time soon.
    Which instructions did you use to get them to show up as being on C, I tried a couple of different ways and it hasn't worked, I must be doing something wrong.

Global Posts
    7,951 Global Posts
    The news and travel apps (any stock app really) being huge is because you have the old versions installed as well, secretly. The reason is that when you create a new user, for some reason it installs the out-of-the-box stored versions to that new user account.

Global Posts
    7,951 Global Posts
    For the record, I officially just ran out of space on my 32GB Surface and hit the point where I have to start deciding what I want on the device based on importance.

As I said above, I wouldn't recommend the 32 to most people because apps (games especially) take up a lot of space.

Global Posts
    2,481 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The news and travel apps (any stock app really) being huge is because you have the old versions installed as well, secretly. The reason is that when you create a new user, for some reason it installs the out-of-the-box stored versions to that new user account.
    Oh well that's simple enough to fix. Delete all the apps in a new user profile and grab from store.

Global Posts
    7,951 Global Posts
    No, it actually doesn't delete them ever.

Global Posts
    2,481 Global Posts
    Think I know what you are referring too and yes it does delete them after some time but no one has offered up what that timeframe is. This was discussed during the whole storagegate on various sites. When you download a new version of the app the previous version hangs around for a bit.

Global Posts
    7,951 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    Think I know what you are referring too and yes it does delete them after some time but no one has offered up what that timeframe is. This was discussed during the whole storagegate on various sites. When you download a new version of the app the previous version hangs around for a bit.
    The old version of the built-in apps never does.

Global Posts
    1,251 Global Posts
    I just bought a 64gb on ebay today, with several accessories! Got a sweet deal!

Global Posts
    2,481 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The old version of the built-in apps never does.

Surface twitter account is saying otherwise.

Global Posts
    7,951 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    Surface twitter account is saying otherwise.
    Well, the PR person behind that account is wrong. Every time you create a new user, it installs the default applications. Mail, Calendar, Bing, News, Finance, etc. Each new user is initially given the RTM versions of those applications until they go to the Store to update them. In order to have those RTM builds of those apps, the original version of each never gets deleted.

If you want to check for yourself, Get access to the %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps folder and view apps source code | Caio Proiete (EN)

However, if you mess up your permissions (like I personally did, because I didn't follow this guide, and I didn't back up my permissions) you can end up with Metro apps failing to load until they are uninstalled and reinstalled, so you'd have to be careful.

That being said, I only see storage usages of around 100MB per app for the Travel and News apps.

Global Posts
    2,481 Global Posts
    nah, I'm not going to mess with that, it is just something Microsoft needs to resolve if that is indeed the case.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    32.. Use SkyDrive a lot.. Just got it today.. Been updating for awhile.. It is beautiful.. Will be used as my sole computer..
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

I am almost ready to get the Surface RT but am unsure of the 32/64 issue. Money is a concern. The tablet will be a family (wife and I) device. Currently we share a Playbook. I really like the idea of being able to have two users accounts. I have also read that we can share apps and I plan on applying the small hack to allow the SD card to be used for easy media storage.

My questions are: How will having two user accounts affect HD space consumption? Will the Surface burn more space in creating the second user? If so, any idea how much?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    My wife was always wanting to use my 64GB Surface so I gave here one for Christmas.
    Having to share one between the two of us was not working out to well,We were always wanting to use it at the same time.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast