Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Tried this myself and it worked;

Bypassing the Metro IE10 Flash Whitelist | The Verge Forums

Flash is now working on all of my favorite tv stream sites.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    363 Global Posts
    how do u get to regedit?

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nuprotocol View Post
    how do u get to regedit?
    You don't have to get to it. Ignore the part about the registry.

I can't find the "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml" directory...am i missing something?

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmprince View Post
    I can't find the "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml" directory...am i missing something?
    "admin" is just the user that guy created. Your file path will have your windows user.
    Hmm, gotta play with this. I wonder if deleting the file completely has any effect.

I'm less worried about the performance impact as I am the security impact. Although no EXE's means no malware, but we also lose the "Compatibility View" updates for out-of-date sites, and it might break SmartScreen too... not sure, but be careful if you're doing this.

Pick your battles, I guess.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
    Hmm, gotta play with this. I wonder if deleting the file completely has any effect.

I'm less worried about the performance impact as I am the security impact. Although no EXE's means no malware, but we also lose the "Compatibility View" updates for out-of-date sites, and it might break SmartScreen too... not sure, but be careful if you're doing this.

Pick your battles, I guess.
    Well that's why I only add sites I frequent in Windows already anyways.

nevermind, found it through search..and it works! awesome! thanks OP!

I see that on the verge there are a lot of comments abt battery life shortened w/ this...would this only affect the battery life if i go on the additional sites that I added or everything now?

I see that on the verge there are a lot of comments abt battery life shortened w/ this...would this only affect the battery life if i go on the additional sites that I added or everything now?

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmprince View Post

They are just referring to the sites you add. Because since they have not been whitelisted, there is no way of knowing if their video player causes excess battery usage.

Flash chews battery life because it's CPU-intensive. If you watch flash on sites that are not "approved", you are likely to have somewhat worsened battery life as you're probably doing this to watch more flash videos ;).

Gotcha! thanks! this is awesome! When i was playing w/ the Surface at the Pop-up store, a guy came up to me and asked me how i liked it...turns out he's from Redmond and was apparently a part of designing the touch cover. I asked him abt Flash cuz I tried the sites i wanna go on aren't working and asked him whether there was a way to add to the whitelist....he didn't know but said he'll bring it back as a feedback...lol guess it doesn't matter now!

Global Posts
    2,662 Global Posts
    I cannot find the file or location in the directory... this works for the surface rt right?
    Try out my first Windows 8 app, ModernCalc! It's free and I would love to hear your feedback!

Phones: Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30, Ipod Nano 2nd gen (x4), Ipod touch 16gb 2nd gen
    Tablet: Surface for Windows RT

All a site needs to do to get on the whitelist should be to contact Microsoft and ask - it's the same for the other IE whitelists, so I'm guessing (not certain, but guessing) that getting on the whitelist shouldn't be too difficult (just takes time).

Quote Originally Posted by berty6294 View Post
    I cannot find the file or location in the directory... this works for the surface rt right?
    yeah, it worked on my surface...i couldn't find it at first but just go to File Explorer and type in "iecompatdata.xml" on the right to search under your "C" and you'll find it

Global Posts
    2,662 Global Posts
    Ahh I had to unhide hidden files. But it didn't work with putlocker for me.
    Try out my first Windows 8 app, ModernCalc! It's free and I would love to hear your feedback!

PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30, Ipod Nano 2nd gen (x4), Ipod touch 16gb 2nd gen

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Ahh I had to unhide hidden files. But it didn't work with putlocker for me.
    Make sure to delete temp files in both metro and desktop IE. I specifically got it to work with putlocker.

I entered the link above into my task bar. I was not able to edit the information that was produced. What am I doing wrong?

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cherone21 View Post
    I entered the link above into my task bar. I was not able to edit the information that was produced. What am I doing wrong?
    Entered what link into what task bar?

Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    Entered what link into what task bar?
    C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml

I opened the folder on my desktop for the hard drive and entered the link above. It sent me to a website with all the domain information but I couldn't edit it.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cherone21 View Post
    C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml

I opened the folder on my desktop for the hard drive and entered the link above. It sent me to a website with all the domain information but I couldn't edit it.
    You need to open the iecompatdata.xml with a text editor like Notepad.

Global Posts
    2,662 Global Posts
    I got gorillavid to work. not on metro though only on desktop. yes I deleted my metro history!

Thanks. Do you mind helping me out with how I do that? I just need to add one site so I can use this with a website that I use daily for work.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    I got gorillavid to work. not on metro though only on desktop. yes I deleted my metro history!
    Strange. Metro IE is the only one I tried gorillavid/putlocker/nowvideo in and it worked with all.

Global Posts
    2,662 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    Strange. Metro IE is the only one I tried gorillavid/putlocker/nowvideo in and it worked with all.
    errr, im sure im doing something wrong... ill play around with it see what I did wrong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast