Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. mapexvenus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    207 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
       #1  
    The SkyDrive icon does not show up in Windows Explorer (in desktop view) so the only way I can access my SkyDrive content is via the tile app. How can I add this to my explore favorites?
  2. VagrantWade's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,399 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by mapexvenus View Post
    The SkyDrive icon does not show up in Windows Explorer (in desktop view) so the only way I can access my SkyDrive content is via the tile app. How can I add this to my explore favorites?
    There is no Skydrive desktop app in RT.
  3. bauerbach's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    221 Posts
    #3  
    I don't have an RT, but... that is not acceptable...

    hope they add that quickly. what good is office if you cant save to your skydrive... other than to save it somewhere, and then go manually upload it to skydrive In your app...
  4. ndschris's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    32 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bauerbach View Post
    I don't have an RT, but... that is not acceptable...

    hope they add that quickly. what good is office if you cant save to your skydrive... other than to save it somewhere, and then go manually upload it to skydrive In your app...
    Office apps have Skydrive access built-in, so you can load and save directly to Skydrive from Word/Excel/etc. But I agree, it'd be nice to have the Skydrive desktop app too.
    Developer of 'Brain App' for Windows Phone and Windows 8 / RT
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bauerbach View Post
    I don't have an RT, but... that is not acceptable...

    hope they add that quickly. what good is office if you cant save to your skydrive... other than to save it somewhere, and then go manually upload it to skydrive In your app...
    If you are using full windows 8, you can download the same application for Skydrive that you would have used for windows 7. It is kind of crazy that Skydrive isn't built into explorer in desktop mode but this fixes that.
  6. forzahog's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mapexvenus View Post
    The SkyDrive icon does not show up in Windows Explorer (in desktop view) so the only way I can access my SkyDrive content is via the tile app. How can I add this to my explore favorites?
    On my Samsung slate with W8, I mapped a drive to the skydrive location. I don't have an RT, but you could try and see if it works for you.

    1. Go to skydrive.com and mouse over the "Files" link and obtain your CID value.

    The link should look like this https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=1234567890

    2. Add your CID to the end of this string "https://d.docs.live.net/"

    Your new string should look like this https://d.docs.live.net/1234567890/

    3. Open windows explorer and map a drive to this new string.
    4. It will then ask you for your Microsoft account and password.
    5. You should have a mapped drive in explorer to skydrive now.
    Thanked by:
  7. forzahog's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #7  
    On my Samsung slate, I mapped a drive to Skydrive. I have 125gb on Skydrive and don't have enough room on my slate to use the desktop app. I don't have an RT so I can't test it there, but maybe it would work for you.

    Go to skydrive.com and get your CID value by hovering over the "Files" link. It should look like this...
    https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=1234567890

    Map a drive in windows explorer to https://d.docs.live.net/1234567890/ with your CID value.

    It should ask you to log in with your Microsoft account and password.
  8. Buttowski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    #8  
    That worked! Interestingly it's showing 11.5GB of 25GB used in Windows Explorer while the Skydrive app shows less than a GB in use.

    Did this on a 32GB Surface RT by the way.
  9. CJ Thunder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    548 Posts
    #9  
    Damn!

    I want/need all my files on my SkyDrive also on my tablet (or saved to my SD Card), and synced properly. I have to buy a Pro just to do this?
  10. mapexvenus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    207 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by forzahog View Post
    On my Samsung slate, I mapped a drive to Skydrive. I have 125gb on Skydrive and don't have enough room on my slate to use the desktop app. I don't have an RT so I can't test it there, but maybe it would work for you.

    Go to skydrive.com and get your CID value by hovering over the "Files" link. It should look like this...
    https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=1234567890

    Map a drive in windows explorer to https://d.docs.live.net/1234567890/ with your CID value.

    It should ask you to log in with your Microsoft account and password.
    This is excellent! Thank you for sharing :)
  11. forzahog's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #11  
    :blush: Sorry for the double post. I didn't think the first post went through.
  12. johnbash612's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    87 Posts
    #12  
    sorry, probably a n00b question but how does one map a drive in the desktop?
  13. Kebero's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    625 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,011 Global Posts
    #13  
    If you have Windows 8, just install the desktop SkyDrive application. No mapping needed.
  14. Skaughtto's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
    #14  
    Great way to get access to Skydrive on RT via the classic desktop. This should be in a tips & tricks sticky. Thanks!
  15. kane4fire's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    47 Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mapexvenus View Post
    This is excellent! Thank you for sharing :)
    Heh, I actually started writing an article about doing this since I had to for my Surface RT but didn't get to finish it until a bit ago. Beat me to it:

    How to map skydrive account to your file browser
    Last edited by kane4fire; 11-10-2012 at 04:51 AM.
  16. forzahog's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Thunder View Post
    Damn!

    I want/need all my files on my SkyDrive also on my tablet (or saved to my SD Card), and synced properly. I have to buy a Pro just to do this?
    I'm thinking about writing a metro app to selectively sync skydrive folders locally. Basically duplicate the desktop skydrive app functionality, but allow you to choose which folders to sync.
  17. CJ Thunder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    548 Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by forzahog View Post
    I'm thinking about writing a metro app to selectively sync skydrive folders locally. Basically duplicate the desktop skydrive app functionality, but allow you to choose which folders to sync.
    Very nice though, I wonder how long before people make an RT store on the web to just run on the desktop...
  18. SouthDallas40's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by forzahog View Post
    On my Samsung slate with W8, I mapped a drive to the skydrive location. I don't have an RT, but you could try and see if it works for you.

    1. Go to skydrive.com and mouse over the "Files" link and obtain your CID value.

    The link should look like this https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=1234567890

    2. Add your CID to the end of this string "https://d.docs.live.net/"

    Your new string should look like this https://d.docs.live.net/1234567890/

    3. Open windows explorer and map a drive to this new string.
    4. It will then ask you for your Microsoft account and password.
    5. You should have a mapped drive in explorer to skydrive now.
    This worked perfectly on my Surface 32MB tablet. Thanks a lot!

Posting Permissions

B