10-27-2012, 12:26 AM #1
- 15 Posts
Ok so I figured I would start a thread of known issues here that I have read either here or on other forums. If anyone knows a fix or has experienced this they can post their stories.
1. Touch cover not working. ( I have only had this happen once so far)
2. Micro SD. Surface does not always read the card.
3. Sending media to other devices doesn't seem to work.
4. When the screen is off, the surface will not properly play music.
(if you let surface sit while playing music and the screen goes black. It will start skipping and or stopping music all together. Screen must be forced to stay on the entire time.)
5. Xbox music App randomly shuts down.
Besides these issues. I have still loved my overall experience with the surface. While I feel most issues could be fixed with patches. The SD reader issue I am not so sure if it is hardware or software.
- 10-27-2012, 01:02 AM #2
- 10-27-2012, 01:06 AM #3
1. Touch Cover is not very responsive - track pad on touch cover not that great. Type cover = much better than touch cover
2. Some apps do not re-orient when the screen is rotated 180 degrees
3. Screen rotation is sluggish when device is rotated 90 degrees
4. Speaker volume very low
5. Overall performance is sluggish
10-27-2012, 01:22 AM #6
- 28 Posts
Make sure to check for updates, I just installed 4, one was for Windows RT and the others were for bundled apps. I am pretty confident that they will get updates to fix any issues, out pretty quickly.
I must say I am very impressed with it, I can't seem to put it down.
- 10-27-2012, 07:37 AM #9
Mine has a dead pixel right off the center of the screen. I did not want to go back to the store today but I have to.
I'm disappointed in the performance of the device as well. Wifi wouldn't stay connected, touch cover kept losing connection (if you watch a video in full screen, you need to take touch cover off and on afterwards.. Really Panos? You never have to take touch cover off?), games don't work (LAG!), speakers crackle if you have more than one app open... I'm going to exchange mine, but I really considered just getting my money back. A device this expensive should work better. Did Microsoft blatantly lie about the usability of this thing or did everybody just get defective units?
10-27-2012, 08:37 AM #10
- 15 Posts
2. Yes I am in fact it shows up for a little while but then randomly goes away where I have to take it out and reinsert like 5 times.
3. Were you able to send music to a desktop by any chance? I cannot figure it out.
4. I did this, but all that does is leave the screen on for 2 hours. Why this can' have the screen off yet still stream music is just silly.
5. Please as a test try leaving xbox music running for an extended period of time. Mine does it around 15-25 min mark. And just set tablet down and let it play.
10-27-2012, 09:07 AM #11
- 185 Posts
Sorry to hear that some of you have so many problems. I really can't put this amazing machine down it is probably the coolest and best working thing I own currently. Everything works intuitively and all my things sync up perfectly with my pc. Just typed up a document on touch cover, super responsive and blazing fast typing. Upwards of 80 wpm. I did however immediately install all windows Rt updates then the apps updates. No performance issues yet, but as my battery was about to die I had this weird flickering. Surface was probably trying to save power or something. Once I plugged it in and charged it back up all back to normal,. Good luck everyone this thing is absolutely amazing.
- 10-27-2012, 10:58 AM #12
Cool day at the mall today for me. Returned my surface with the bad screen, got another one. Opened up the new one in the mall juuust incase. Wouldn't turn on. Went on once when the power initially got plugged in but it couldn't restart. Weird. Third one doesn't have any defects, and for the trouble they gave me a free touch cover. Awesome customer care Microsoft :)
- 10-27-2012, 11:29 AM #15
Nice. Lucky. That is the one advantage of being an early adopter. You have problems, you return and they give you a replacement with no questions. Then if you still have a problem they start compensating you without much hassle. In a few months, you will not just be given a free touch cover because you have some issues. They will direct you to a service person or something similar. Complain enough, and you may get a free touch cover as you did.
10-27-2012, 01:31 PM #16
- 5 Posts
Mine had a bright spot on the LCD panel itself. That's all. I already sent it in for replacement.
I will comment, they were ridiculously unprepared for this. It took me literally three hours to set up a warranty replacement. I'd have just lived with it, but after that much effort getting it set up, I'm doing it.
Like this but bigger -> http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/4726/sideviewrw4.jpg
I didn't want to chance it getting worse. I had one on a laptop and by the end of year-one it was about a quarter-inch long and brighter.
- 10-27-2012, 04:05 PM #21
I am not sure why you need to take the touch cover off when you watch a full screen video. I have been watching full screen videos on HULU, Netflix and HBO GO and never had to take the cover off.
Like most other folks in here, I think that there are a few quirks which are all fixable.
- 10-27-2012, 05:30 PM #25
I am loving my Surface so much right now, and like most others have said, I haven't been able to put it down.
I do have a few minor issues, that I am hoping are able to be fixed with a few updates.
1. At times, the performance can become very sluggish. I don't have many apps downloaded, and I tend to swipe down and close them when I am finished using them. I hope Microsoft can release an update that will better optimize the system.
2. I am pretty disappointed that I have such little space, I have 16.1GB left with only a few apps downloaded. I know the OS takes up a lot of space, but I didn't anticipate THAT much. I read early reviews saying the Surface had ~20GB of free space on first start up, so I was hoping that were the case. Does anyone know if I delete Office RT if I am able to download it again at some point? I like how the App Store on iOS lets you redownload apps that you've already purchased.
3. I am glad I didn't shell out extra money for a 64GB MicroSDXC card just yet after reading all of these issues with them, I'm hoping that again is another software update.
4. I noticed that under my kickstand where the Windows logo is, their was a scuff mark, or something in the middle of the logo! I know I didn't even touch that part of my tablet, and it wont even come off which is super annoying!
Other than those minor hiccups, I love this tablet, and it's easily the best tablet that I've ever owned. So much better than my iPad, and Motorola Xoom tablet. Microsoft has a winner, I just hope they're able to fix these issues.