Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts
    I created My Photos, Documents, Videos on the SD card and want to use it as a source. It wont add the SD card b/c its a removable. Anybody find a way around this?
    Last edited by nuprotocol; 11-08-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Having the same issue with music on sd card. You can manually open them in Xbox music but you can't have them appear in the music app. Would also like to hear how to get around this.

Try this..open up the file manager and click on music (underneath libraries). Then click on Manage (between view and play). Then select manage library. A new window should pop up and you can add the folder located on the SD card

Tried that but it says this folder can't be loaded as it is on a portable drive...

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I hope there is a way to do this. I also tried to add the folder and got the same error message. Would make the SD card much more useful if this would work.

I was able to figure this out with a work around that you can find at this site. I have to say I am impressed with the functionality of the RT device. pretty robust configuration capability....

Add Unsupported Removable Drives To Windows 7′s Libraries | Lifehacker Australia

and I am loving the touch cover.

Quote Originally Posted by mutant 9 View Post
    I was able to figure this out with a work around that you can find at this site. I have to say I am impressed with the functionality of the RT device. pretty robust configuration capability....

Add Unsupported Removable Drives To Windows 7′s Libraries | Lifehacker Australia

Can you better explain how you did this? I am not understanding/finding the options mentioned.

Global Posts
    247 Global Posts
    Why didn't I think of that! I was almost ready to return the Surface over this (to get a 64GB model ��).

You can access computer management by holding on Computer in the library folders of the desktop mode. I created a folder called media on the root of c:, then held computer, chose manage, then disk management. From there, hold the sd drive for a second and choose change drive letter... The link above explains the rest.
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by mutant 9 View Post

Sweet, thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by billfraley View Post
    Why didn't I think of that! I was almost ready to return the Surface over this (to get a 64GB model ��).

You can access computer management by holding on Computer in the library folders of the desktop mode. I created a folder called media on the root of c:, then held computer, chose manage, then disk management. From there, hold the sd drive for a second and choose change drive letter... The link above explains the rest.
    you shouldn't change the drive mapping, add a new one to the existing sd card drive

then it works as expected for other stuff

Global Posts
    247 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonldevries View Post
    you shouldn't change the drive mapping, add a new one to the existing sd card drive

then it works as expected for other stuff
    Change is the option you select. Then you add.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Open Disk Management, Right click on the SD card drive, choose mount.

Tell it to mount to a folder you create somewhere, such as in your Library folders.

This was actually something that has had to be done going back to Windows 7. It's due to the SD cards not being able to be indexed.

That's an awesome tip! It's great to see hacks like this that were designed for Windows 7 still work on Windows RT :)

Global Posts
    247 Global Posts
    Just for the sake of clarity, here are the exact steps I took:

1 - create a folder on the c: drive to use for this "mapping." I created c:\media

2 - Open the library folders in desktop mode

3 - Long press, or right click using a mouse, on Computer in the left pane and choose manage.

4 - Once the MMC opens select Disk Management in the left pane

5 - Long press, or right click using a mouse, on the drive object for the SD card and select Change Drive Letters and Paths... option

6 - Select the add option and browse the folder you created on C: then select ok, and ok again.

7 - Go back to libraries, long press or right click the library that matches the content you wish to include from the SD (i.e. music, videos, pictures) and choose properties.

8 - Add the location to the subfolder (on c:\media\music in my example for music content) to the library and it will then show up in the music, video, or pictures metro apps

9 - Enjoy the added storage for your libraries!
    Thanked by:
    pmarting likes this.

Does anyone have any idea how we can change the download path of Xbox music to the sdcard?

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cubanaso View Post
    Does anyone have any idea how we can change the download path of Xbox music to the sdcard?
    Yes in the library change the default save location.

Just for the sake of clarity, here are the exact steps I took:

1 - create a folder on the c: drive to use for this "mapping." I created c:\media

2 - Open the library folders in desktop mode

3 - Long press, or right click using a mouse, on Computer in the left pane and choose manage.

4 - Once the MMC opens select Disk Management in the left pane

5 - Long press, or right click using a mouse, on the drive object for the SD card and select Change Drive Letters and Paths... option

6 - Select the add option and browse the folder you created on C: then select ok, and ok again.

7 - Go back to libraries, long press or right click the library that matches the content you wish to include from the SD (i.e. music, videos, pictures) and choose properties.

8 - Add the location to the subfolder (on c:\media\music in my example for music content) to the library and it will then show up in the music, video, or pictures metro apps

9 - Enjoy the added storage for your libraries!
    I followed your instructions and it still doesn't recognize the music.

Also has anyone experienced problem pairing the Surface with your Windows Phone via Bluetooth?

Quote Originally Posted by tdt59512 View Post

Also has anyone experienced problem pairing the Surface with your Windows Phone via Bluetooth?
    I just moved my users directories to the SDcard. Just go to a user folder (like Downloads) right click, go to properties and location tab. Change the directory and hit apply, it will move things for you too.

-Davy

Ps. Im using a class 10 card, ymmv if trying to play 1080p rips via a class 4, etc

Yes yes moved save location to sd card for music, only trick is finding the download button in Xbox music

So now I am not upset I didn't get 64gb surface

Quote Originally Posted by jonldevries View Post
    Yes yes moved save location to sd card for music, only trick is finding the download button in Xbox music

So now I am not upset I didn't get 64gb surface
    Is it showing up on Xbox Music? There's no locations tab with the Music Library. I wish this was seamless. Still not working for me. The sales representative said all we had to do was put in the card.

Global Posts
    247 Global Posts

That's odd. Worked great for me and others. Is it possibly a DRM issue with your files?

That's odd. Worked great for me and others. Is it possibly a DRM issue with your files?
    I formatted the SDCard too to NTFS.

On a lighter note. Everyone I've shown my Surface to is impressed and everyone types well on the Touch Cover.

Does it matter if the My Music folder is sorted out by Artists and Albums? I don't understand. I'm doing everything listed in the steps. I wish the app had something like the Zune software.

Global Posts
    247 Global Posts
    I formatted the SDCard too to NTFS.

On a lighter note. Everyone I've shown my Surface to is impressed and everyone types well on the Touch Cover.

Does it matter if the My Music folder is sorted out by Artists and Albums? I don't understand. I'm doing everything listed in the steps. I wish the app had something like the Zune software.
    I have my sd card setup with separate folders for each media type and a separate documents folder. In other words I have the following folders off the root folder on the sd card:

Documents
    Music
    Pictures
    Videos

Also, it is important that you add the folders to your libraries using the location you have mapped to on the C: drive. My music is in alpha ordered subdirectories under the music folder. I added each subfolder under c:\media to each corresponding library. I.e. c:\media\music is added to the My Music library, the same for each of the other libraries.

I have my sd card setup with separate folders for each media type and a separate documents folder. In other words I have the following folders off the root folder on the sd card:

Documents
    Music
    Pictures
    Videos

Also, it is important that you add the folders to your libraries using the location you have mapped to on the C: drive. My music is in alpha ordered subdirectories under the music folder. I added each subfolder under c:\media to each corresponding library. I.e. c:\media\music is added to the My Music library, the same for each of the other libraries.
    Thanks!

I was able to get the Photos to correctly map. I just have an issue with Music not populating. I guess I just have to play around with it.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Very Streange. I did everything as mentioned in the article.

1. Added SD card to C:\Media
    2. Included appropriate folders in the library (Pictures, Music, Video)

Nothing is showing up under the Photos, Video and Music section.

Any other thoughts on this?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast