Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shlomo80 View Post
    The mapping of course survive a reboot - that's what they're supposed to do. But look in your indexed locations.

The relevance is not that junction points don't work. It's that the locations are no longer indexed after a reboot.
    Ahh, that's what I was misunderstanding. Thanks for clarifying.

Hopefully by the time I purchase another tablet this might have been rectified.

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    OK, so here's a quick sequence as a guide:

Format SD card as NTFS: How to Reformat an SD Card Into NTFS | eHow.com

Create VHD to fill it: Create and Use a Virtual Hard Disk on Windows 7

Mount and create folders in VHD (Documents, Music, etc) and Add them to Library : Include folders in a library

Create script(s) to mount VHD at startup: Windows 7: Auto-Mount VHDs at Startup martin w. angler
    While creating the scheduled task (or edit it afterwards) make sure Execute only on AC Power is ticked OFF.
    Those not familiar with accessing system functions in RT desktop, "Win+X" is your friend.

Then make sure the new Documents, Music, etc are being indexed by going into "Indexing Options" in Control Panel. When you mounted the VHD and added the folders to the library, those folders should have been added automatically to the Indexed Locations.

Now, reboot the Surface. First, check the VHD mounted automatically (i.e. you see the drive you assigned to the VHD in Explorer). Second, go back into Indexing Options and make sure the folders are still there. This means that they'll continue to be indexed correctly.

To get content on your Surface here on in, it may be easier to use Homegroups or activate the SERVER service in services.msc and share those folders on the VHD. You can Google more on those.

the mappings are there after a reboot as well.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johninsj View Post
    the mappings are there after a reboot as well.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express
    I wonder how many times I have to say the mappings do stick through a reboot and that's not the problem. Look in your Indexed Items.

I wonder how many times I have to say the mappings do stick through a reboot and that's not the problem. Look in your Indexed Items.
    yes they are also still in the four libraries as well. indexed items shows the library folders are indexed. I got what you said the very first time. maybe you didn't follow the directions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot-8-.png  

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    yes they are also still in the four libraries as well. indexed items shows the library folders are indexed. I got what you said the very first time. maybe you didn't follow the directions?
    The library folders physically on the c: drive will be indexed, but those using the aliases won't.

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gken View Post
    ^^^^yup these guys know what they are talking about, but for the average joe this is going to be impossible for them to do. Hopefully MS fixes indexing so we don't have to do this massive workaround that does not cause normal people's heads to explode.
    Microsoft need to resolve this ASAP. I have never had problems with micro SD card on my Android tablet.
    I am still having problems getting a 64GB micro SD card working. I do not have the time at the moment to try and resolve an issue that should
    not exist, I find it much easier to just use the USB port.

The library folders physically on the c: drive will be indexed, but those using the aliases won't.
    Weird, they seem to be indexed to me.

Weird, they seem to be indexed to me.
    Same here. Sorry Shlomo - it's working perfectly over here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12