Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ilfranzoso
  1. ilfranzoso's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
       #1  
    Ciao guys,

    I'm Andrea from Italy. I'm very interest to replace my Ipad with a new Surface Rt.

    My only doubt is concerning data connection, some one know if Will be possibile to use an USB key as modem?

    If not, can some one give us a feedback when surface Will arrive at home?

    Thanks for the feedback,

    Kind regards,
    Andrea
  2. power5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,207 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    #2  
    Good question
  3. rbf
    rbf is offline
    rbf's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    #3  
    Yup... very good question! I am a business owner in the US and have pre-ordered a 64g Surface RT. As of now I know Verizon has NO drivers for win 8 pro or RT. I have talked to a couple of 'verizon tech specialist'.. believe me 'loose term'... it is what verizon calls someone that the regular tech has to call in because they don't have a clue of the answer to ur question. They all know nothing. More of a concern is all of the rumor articles I am reading concerning the issues MS and Verizon or having on Verizon's access to your winphone8. MS seems to be big on keeping your phone info safe and Verizon has been rumored to want to sell ur info. Right now I believe there is a hold up in the winphone8 software being approved by Verizon?? I could be way off on this but it is much to close to launch date to note have any announcement of winphone8 'stuff' for Verizon. AT&T is going to start 'pre-orders' on the 21st of Oct. according to articles I have read. Getting our Surface RT tabs to connect to 3/4g is VERY important to most people NO matter what the Surface Staff states in their justification for LACK of 3/4g support... I am hoping I don't have to look at tethering as the only option I have. Thanks ~ rbf
  4. jhoff80's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    955 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,934 Global Posts
    #4  
    The idea is that in Windows 8 and Windows RT, broadband modems are supported by class drivers. It's sort of similar to how you can just plug in any USB storage now and it'll be recognized; Microsoft will have its own drivers that will automatically work.

    The caveat to this is that some older hardware might not necessarily be supported by the class driver.

    See here for more detail: Engineering Windows 8 for mobile networks - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
  5. rbf
    rbf is offline
    rbf's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    #5  
    Thanks for the reply. I read the article... very interesting. My question is does the win8 class driver come with win8 RT? Seemed like the article and the video just used the term Windows 8... not Windows 8 RT... which of course we all know is a different OS. I loved the way the class driver works just hoping I have it on my RT version.. :-)
  6. ljkelley's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    #6  
    Yes, any device USB device can work with Windows RT with one caveat. The device maker will have to make a Windows RT driver for it.

    Microsoft is making or helping make many drivers, especially catch all drivers for mouse, keyboards etc...

    So I will imagine we will def see USB 3G/4G sticks out with Windows RT drivers. The question is if existing devices will get driver support or not.
  7. stephen_az's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    683 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by rbf View Post
    Yup... very good question! I am a business owner in the US and have pre-ordered a 64g Surface RT. As of now I know Verizon has NO drivers for win 8 pro or RT. I have talked to a couple of 'verizon tech specialist'.. believe me 'loose term'... it is what verizon calls someone that the regular tech has to call in because they don't have a clue of the answer to ur question. They all know nothing. More of a concern is all of the rumor articles I am reading concerning the issues MS and Verizon or having on Verizon's access to your winphone8. MS seems to be big on keeping your phone info safe and Verizon has been rumored to want to sell ur info. Right now I believe there is a hold up in the winphone8 software being approved by Verizon?? I could be way off on this but it is much to close to launch date to note have any announcement of winphone8 'stuff' for Verizon. AT&T is going to start 'pre-orders' on the 21st of Oct. according to articles I have read. Getting our Surface RT tabs to connect to 3/4g is VERY important to most people NO matter what the Surface Staff states in their justification for LACK of 3/4g support... I am hoping I don't have to look at tethering as the only option I have. Thanks ~ rbf
    1) Any reason why you needed to take a question essentially about modem drivers and compatibility of hardware, and turn it into a VZW is rumored to be dropping WP8 response?
    2) Please do not assume that you are most people. You are an individual and your opinion reflects your own opinions and possibly that of some people you know (who again are not most people). Most people I know (which is again just a biased personal sample) would be hard pressed to care less about 3G/4G on a tablet. Some use tethering but most either have never considered it or have no intention of dropping money on a contract device with a carrier that will be obsolete long before the contract is over. BTW, last I checked none of the carriers are exactly setting sales records with any 3G/4G enabled tablet, including the iPad model and the Galaxy Tabs.
    Last edited by swyost; 10-20-2012 at 02:17 PM.
  8. ilfranzoso's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
       #8  
    The main problem is that outside USA you can't find easly Free or open hotspot wifi... In europe for example is very difficult.

    Microsoft is a worldwide company,and have to consider it.
  9. rbf
    rbf is offline
    rbf's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by swyost View Post
    1) Any reason why you needed to take a question essentially about modem drivers and compatibility of hardware, and turn it into a VZW is rumored to be dropping WP8 response?
    2) Please do not assume that you are most people. You are an individual and your opinion reflects your own opinions and possibly that of some people you know (who again are not most people). Most people I know (which is again just a biased personal sample) would be hard pressed to care less about 3G/4G on a tablet. Some use tethering but most either have never considered it or have no intention of dropping money on a contract device with a carrier that will be obsolete long before the contract is over. BTW, last I checked none of the carriers are exactly setting sales records with any 3G/4G enabled tablet, including the iPad model and the Galaxy Tabs.
    Ya Know... You could be right... :-)
  10. ilfranzoso's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
       #10  
    Hello!!

    some of you maybe received the surface, Could you help me to test if a USB 3G KEY is working on RT version?

    Thanks a lot
    Andrea;)
  11. TMavC5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    581 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by franzoso View Post
    Hello!!

    some of you maybe received the surface, Could you help me to test if a USB 3G KEY is working on RT version?

    Thanks a lot
    Andrea;)
    If all else failed, you can always use Mobile Hot Spot on Windows Phone. ;)
  12. ilfranzoso's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by TMavC5 View Post
    If all else failed, you can always use Mobile Hot Spot on Windows Phone. ;)
    Yeah i know,but is for my knowladge ;)
    TMavC5 likes this.
  13. weepatc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by franzoso View Post
    Hello!!



    some of you maybe received the surface, Could you help me to test if a USB 3G KEY is working on RT version?



    Thanks a lot

    Andrea;)
    Think I read somewhere that 3g dongles not currently supported in Windows RT unfortunately.

    Sent from my HTC Titan using Board Express

Posting Permissions

B