Web browsing via IE
    Documents via Word 2013
    Spreadsheets via Excel 2013
    Corporate IM via Pidgin
    Notes via OneNote 2013
    Facebook via People
    Random installs via Store

I still have 64% battery left.

I made a custom power plan and created a CPU setting that scales the CPU to 80% while on battery. This prevents "Turbo" and I don't see a performance hit at all. (This might affect video and games but I dont do that at work).

I also have my screen brightness at around 40%. It's absolutely bright enough in the office. Outside would be a different matter all together.

Just sharing what I do and the config I am running in case anyone else is look for settings to try during "office hours".

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts
    Edit: Sorry, thought you were talking about the Nokia Lumia 920, not the Surface Pro. Disregard xP

Quote Originally Posted by DasVan View Post
    I made a custom power plan and created a CPU setting that scales the CPU to 80% while on battery.".
    How do you adjust the cpu ...?

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    how do u scale down the cpu?

Global Posts
    2,349 Global Posts
    To adjust the CPU scaling go to Control Panel, Power Options, Change plan settings, Change advance power setting. Scroll down to Processor power management and change the minimum and maximum processor state to what you want.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    thanks, any benefit to having the min set to 5 as opposed to 1?

Op, thank you for sharing. Here is a thread http://forums.wpcentral.com/surface-...rbo-boost.html I made a while back when surface pro came out. You could try 99 % max on battery and it should disable turbo boost, min try 5%.
    if you are gaming, you might try turn it back on to allow cpu and gpu running at full speed so no throttling
    Last edited by micuioss; 02-15-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    I have not altered any of the unplugged settings. This thing easily lasts a workday, if not more for browsing and word processing, and even some music.

Who wants to bet all those reviewers unplugged their systems to run Everquest 2? (The only reason I say that is it's the most power-eating game I know! LOL)

For some odd reason I do not have the option to change those settings. It only allows me to change the Cooling state. Any suggestions ?
    Last edited by DjRx12; 02-15-2013 at 11:34 PM.

Figured it out. If HyperV is enabled which is required to run the Windows Phone 8 SDK it will prevent these options from being seen
    Last edited by DjRx12; 02-16-2013 at 12:04 AM.
    Thanked by:
    wpguy and gootdude like this.

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Polychrome View Post
    I have not altered any of the unplugged settings. This thing easily lasts a workday, if not more for browsing and word processing, and even some music.

Who wants to bet all those reviewers unplugged their systems to run Everquest 2? (The only reason I say that is it's the most power-eating game I know! LOL)
    You do know Microsoft was the first to state the battery life was four to five hours? The reviewers did not make that up - it comes straight from the manufacturer.

Global Posts
    972 Global Posts
    Nice, I hope with power settings and productivity usage I can get 8-9 hours out of this.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    OK, I am going to test out some battery savings settings today and see how much time I can get out of the pro.. I will let you know the results.

Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen_az View Post
    You do know Microsoft was the first to state the battery life was four to five hours? The reviewers did not make that up - it comes straight from the manufacturer.
    I'm talking about the guys who acted like it was only an hour or so....which is reasonable if a laptop is doing any heavy-lifting.

I thought they said the battery life was approximately half of the Surface RT.

Global Posts
    2,605 Global Posts
    I set my max CPU state to 50% on battery. So far it's plenty fast enough.
    invisik likes this.
    Galaxy Tab advertises its battery life as 4 hours and that's a tablet. Full blow laptop-tablet hybrid runs 4 hours and people are moaning about it, how come?
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    I am curious how long people are getting out of the battery on the Surface Pro in normal use.

Saturday we used it from about noon and it died at 5:30pm. This was a movie and a half, (1080p using tmt6) games and downloading \ surfing. Wanted it to last longer but when it died my daughter just grabbed the rt to play.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    Thanked by:

I'm curious on how many movies it lasts straight (bluray ripped) and how long it lasts in sleep. Anyone have percent\hour drain while sleeping?
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by justinm001 View Post
    Saturday we used it from about noon and it died at 5:30pm. This was a movie and a half, (1080p using tmt6) games and downloading \ surfing. Wanted it to last longer but when it died my daughter just grabbed the rt to play.
    that's exactly what I needed to know. This is very close to my normal usage but mine is heavier on the video playback. I'm going to need to hold off until they come out with a cpu that'll run the Pro version with this activity for 8-10 hours. Hoping the Haswell does it and will be in x86 tablets within a year

I haven't messed with my power settings yet but when I got my 64GB pro I turned off the bluetooth because I wasn't going to use it and today I was checking for any updates and saw this: 6 hrs, pretty cool! I was running about 7 IE tabs and one note...wp_20130221_002.jpg

With cpu power setting set to 100 percent my battery life was 3-3.5 hours.
    Using Bluetooth to speakers and xbox music. also about 30mins of youtube videos. kept screen on but dimmed. didn't use it for much else as was using main pc. also wifi was on.

usually have good battery life
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    Galaxy Tab advertises its battery life as 4 hours and that's a tablet. Full blow laptop-tablet hybrid runs 4 hours and people are moaning about it, how come?
    Because people don't want to believe that Microsoft could actually come out with a cool product. Notice how the $1300 web browser is almost exclusively compared to a MacBook. So far, I have only seen one article (barely) compare it with Surface Pro. All the oohing and aahing of how cool those two are (except for the browser's price tag), and little for Surface Pro.
    theefman likes this.

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by justinm001 View Post
    ... how long it lasts in sleep. Anyone have percent\hour drain while sleeping?
    Default power settings have it set to hibernate after sleeping for an hour. As you probably know, no power is used once the machine is in hibernation. An hour of sleep might use a percent or two, though I haven't noticed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast