I just got a surface pro this morning from the US. I am in the UK.

I have noticed that the calibration of the touchscreen isn't great and I wonder if I have a dodgy touchscreen or I am just oversensitive.

For example I cant hit the "X" to close browser windows when I use my finger, it always thinks I am touching a few mm to the left of where I want it.

The left side of the screen also has the same problem and seems to occasionally not respond at all to touch.

The pen however works perfectly every time. I realize the target area is much smaller on this display due to the resolution and size but I have nothing to compare it to.

I have tried calibration but it hasn't helped.

Its a faulty touchscreen unfortunately.

I went over to the unlock screen where I enter the password where you can see the touch trail and they were spazing out all over the place. Not ideal as I now have to return this to the US.

How much did the shipping and customs tax cost if you dont mind me asking? Was thinking of doing the same myself and getting one shipped over.

It depends who you ship with and how much they value it at. I wont know until I get an invoice from FedEx in a few weeks.

I recommend FedEx because it was shipped on Wednesday night UK time via International priority and arrived this morning and they send an invoice for customs at a later date.

I believe the actual shipping from the US cost just under $200 for priority, slower will be cheaper.

The great thing about the pro is the touchscreen is faulty but the pen works and so does the typecover touchpad so its still usable just very annoying.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Global Posts
    2,356 Global Posts
    Have you tried resetting the calibration to default in control panel? With every windows 8 pc it seems trying to calibrate the screen actually makes it worse instead of better especially for pen input so resetting to default might be worth a try.

mmm that may have actually worked... Everything seems to be responding when I touch it no spazing out.

Ill keep an eye on it but potentially thank you!!!!

Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    That definitely is not normal. My Pro as well as all of the demo units I played with were EXTREMELY accurate and the touch screen is very responisive

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Hi,

I had thought of ordering the Pro from the US, but was put off because of the stock shortages ... so concerned that mt money would be tied up with a supplier who could not get his hands on the product.

Who was your supplier please? and did you use ebay?

thanks

george

My touch screen was working fine. Then I saw posts about people calibrating their pens. I opened the calibration app and found that you could calibrate both the pen and touch so I did both and didn't think much of it. After a while, I noticed that my touch wasn't as accurate. I could only open the charms menu if I swiped in from the middle of the screen. After fiddling with it for a while and trying multiple calibrations, I finally deleted the calibration all together and that restored my touch to working perfectly just like it had before. The moral of the story is if it's not broke, don't try to fix it.

its Wierd that yours got worse after you calibrated it Which is the exact opposite of how Mine Was out of the box.

PM me and ill tell you who it was but he may ask you for more now!

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OliverK View Post
    its Wierd that yours got worse after you calibrated it Which is the exact opposite of how Mine Was out of the box.

PM me and ill tell you who it was but he may ask you for more now!
    Oliver ignore my pm... I've placed my order with a us supplier.. Item is now in transit... Cannot wait

Any news on how much the import costs were?

Also, any ideas on how warranty works from US to UK. I'm a bit concerned about that, seeing as isn't repairable at all. This concerns me.

I wish MS would sort there stuff out, and at least give a release date for UK. It's getting silly now. I'm starting to look at other products, as my laptops broke and need a replacement ASAP.

Import is 20% if he put the correct value on it - so if the pro costs 800 you are looking at 160 VAT.

If its been shipped via FedEx they will invoice you after delivery. Every other courier will make you pay before delivery which is why I love FedEx.

I had that exact issue. Touchscreen worked fine until I calibrated it and then I couldn't hit the close button in the upper right corner with my finger. Resetting the calibration fixed all issues.

Mine's not a pro, I have the RT, but after a few go's with support, I'm sending mine in for a replacement. My touchscreen would register touches all over the place, most often when I touched the black border in certain spots. I calibrated, software reset, then did a full reset, to no effect. They emailed me a fedex label and off it goes! So maybe yours is faulty as well? Support was helpful and offered the replacement for me, so I appreciate their help.