I purchased the Surface Pro 128GB last weekend, and I am experiencing a frequent problem: From time to time, my Wifi connection gets extremely slow. This typically happens after I'm using the unit for a while (30-60+ minutes).

When I notice the latency, I try pinging for example, yahoo.com and I am noticing latency times in the 400+ ms range (usually 1000ms and more).

Any ideas? This is very frustrating and I am curious to know if I have a defective unit.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I've noticed that the latency usually occurs when I'm on battery, and it gets a bit better when I plug the unit back in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by avazee; 02-12-2013 at 09:48 PM.

In the beginning it seemed like my wifi connection was doing that too, I waited for a few minutes but the page would just keep spinning. Apparently it was just IE because using Chrome or Firefox doesn't give me that problem at all. But a few times a day, I would lose connection completely for a few seconds and have to reset it. Haven't paid attention whether it only happens when on battery though.

Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    I think there's an issue.

While streaming Netflix (app) I noticed it'd buffer indefinitely until I press back and play again.

Similarly, the Store, People and Email apps would fail and give me the "not connected to the internet" message.

I found the second day to be the worst, 2-3 hours of slow internet. Since then, the issue hasn't been frequent, but it does tend to happen at least once or twice a day for 3-4 seconds each time.

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilzkh View Post
    I think there's an issue.
    Unfortunate if true. Particularly because at Surface launch event they carried on for a while about the amazing Wi-Fi technology built into the device and proclaimed it would have (paraphrase) "the best wi-fi experience of any device ever." :/

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Go into the Power Options in the control panel. Click on Changed advanced power settings. There is a Wireless Adapter Settings node in the settings tree. Change it to a different setting when on battery. This is true for all laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by annchez View Post
    In the beginning it seemed like my wifi connection was doing that too, I waited for a few minutes but the page would just keep spinning. Apparently it was just IE because using Chrome or Firefox doesn't give me that problem at all. But a few times a day, I would lose connection completely for a few seconds and have to reset it. Haven't paid attention whether it only happens when on battery though.
    If youwant a good browser, get Opera.
    It has touch capability, works great with the Pro

Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    After some testing it seems the Surface Pro works best with a router configured to exclusively put out 802.11n - as opposed to 802/11 b/g/n.