Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    1. Microsoft Surface Pro ($899)Battery Life: 4:37
    Cost Per Hour of Juice: $199 per hour

You know it's a bad sign when the top tech story in Google News is that you might be offering an external battery for your product. Despite its Core i5 power and the ability to run both desktop and Windows Store apps, we don't recommend the Surface Pro because its 4 hours and 37 minutes of battery life completely undermines its portability. The average ultraportable laptop lasts about an hour and a half longer. And while the iPad isn't as versatile, it lasted 12 hours and 22 minutes on our battery test. That's 2.5X the endurance. If you opted for the $799, 128GB iPad, that works out to $64 an hour of juice, compared to $199 per hour for the Surface Pro.
    7 Worst Battery Life-Guzzling Gadgets - Yahoo! News
    -Verizon HTC 8x Blue

Good thing I'm not a geologist or a coffee drinker with regular flights from the US to Asia.

Global Posts
    2,675 Global Posts
    Gizmodo is the Fox News of technology sites.
    Try out my first Windows 8 app, ModernCalc! It's free and I would love to hear your feedback!

Phones: Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30, Ipod Nano 2nd gen (x4), Ipod touch 16gb 2nd gen
    Tablet: Surface for Windows RT
    It makes no sense to compare Surface Pro to iPad.

Surface RT/iPad comparison would make sense, as would Surface Pro/MacBook Air.

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    The whole premise is ridiculous. "Cost per hour of battery life." I mean WTH is that? Some sort of metric like Star ratings in crash tests on your car? So stupid.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ny_yankees View Post
    Dude, don't buy the Pro. It's not for you. If you absolutely need more than 5 hours of battery life, then stick with your ipad or android. Or the RT. Go off to your happy place and be content with your mobile device. For me, and other Pro owners, it is exactly what we want and we like having a computer at our fingertips vs using a toy like ipad or android. It's all a matter or needs. You need more than hours battery life otherwise the Pro would be perfect. Ok, good for you. "Move along, these aren't the droids you're looking for. Move along."
    wpguy likes this.

My favorite is the cost per hour of juice: $199 / hr.
    What he did is: $899 / 4hr37min.

Amazing.
    What that means is that once it is fully discharged, he throws away the device.

Assuming iPad is 2.5X better, its cost per hour of "juice" is: $80 / hr.

That means, in a 10hr flight, you would have spent $800 worth the "juice".
    On an average day, a person will use it for 2 hrs.
    (( I put a lower number because that person would be using his / her laptop for all the real job. ))
    So, 2 hours = $160 juice

In an year, $160 x 365 = $58400.
    Wow!!
    According to the author of that crappy page, he claims, by using iPad you are spening $58400 worth of "juice".

BTW, I really liked his usage of "juice".

@ny_yankees. I hate you for bringing this to my attention, when I could very well have gone my whole life without reading such a stupid article.
    bawboh86 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,350 Global Posts
    The apple press is going to great lengths to bash the Surface Pro, its getting more than ridiculous.
    bawboh86 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    This might be the dumbest most arbitrary attempt at bashing a Microsoft product yet. I'm surprised he didn't also compare it to the battery life of the original gameboy.
    Thanked by:
    ammn 

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    It makes no sense to compare Surface Pro to iPad.

Surface RT/iPad comparison would make sense, as would Surface Pro/MacBook Air.
    No, it makes no sense to compare Pro to a MacBook Air. The MBA is a laptop and the Pro is a tablet. It is not even a hybrid unless you stretch that definition. The battery life is what it is and the device is a tablet. Surface Pro's battery life harkens back to the early days of Android tablets and that is really bad. A mobile device that cannot make it to five hours is not a mobile device for many of us. It is a desktop device with a silly form factor that I can take to a coffee shop and not much else. If they could not address the battery life, they should have withheld the release until they had an answer. Releasing a tablet with the battery life of a five year old laptop is just stupid.

Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ny_yankees View Post
    images.jpg
    ~Sal
    Thanked by:
    Bartdog, Laura Knotek and bawboh86 like this.

Global Posts
    2,675 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen_az View Post
    No, it makes no sense to compare Pro to a MacBook Air. The MBA is a laptop and the Pro is a tablet. It is not even a hybrid unless you stretch that definition. The battery life is what it is and the device is a tablet. Surface Pro's battery life harkens back to the early days of Android tablets and that is really bad. A mobile device that cannot make it to five hours is not a mobile device for many of us. It is a desktop device with a silly form factor that I can take to a coffee shop and not much else. If they could not address the battery life, they should have withheld the release until they had an answer. Releasing a tablet with the battery life of a five year old laptop is just stupid.
    uh, I firmly disagree!

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

If it has components like a laptop, runs a full operating system like a laptop, and is just as productive as a laptop, then it is most certainly should be compared to a laptop in my book!
    Try out my first Windows 8 app, ModernCalc! It's free and I would love to hear your feedback!

PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30, Ipod Nano 2nd gen (x4), Ipod touch 16gb 2nd gen
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    You don't seem to "get" what this thing is. It is not a tablet. I am not considering replacing my iPad with it, I am considering replacing my laptop with it. Other than it has a touch screen interface the capabilities of Surface Pro and iPad are entirely dissimilar. On the other hand, it has nearly identical capabilities with MacBook Air.
    Thanked by:
    Vallos 
    Bartdog, bawboh86 and Mr.Willie like this.

My surface pro last me 12hr before I need to charge again. And no I did not watch movie or play game non stop for 4-5hr during my work.
    Sent from my RM-821_apac_singapore_293 using Board Express
    bawboh86 likes this.

Lol ipad/surface pro battery comparing .... If people can do this then i will compare by old motorola razer 1week of "juice power" to all the iphone/l920/nexus4

Global Posts
    2,675 Global Posts
    My TV remote isn't quite a versatile as a Surface Pro however with a cheaper price tag (about $880 cheaper) and a battery life of 2 months, the Remote is a much better buy at just over $.01 per hour compared to the Surface Pro's $199 an hour!

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by berty6294 View Post
    My TV remote isn't quite a versatile as a Surface Pro however with a cheaper price tag (about $880 cheaper) and a battery life of 2 months, the Remote is a much better buy at just over $.01 per hour compared to the Surface Pro's $199 an hour!
    Yeah, I LOL'd... :D
    Talderon

Device: Black Nokia Lumia 1520 (32GB Edition)
    Network: AT&T (LTE)

Quote Originally Posted by berty6294 View Post
    But you can't compare it with MBA /s

If you are making this comparison based only on the shape resemblance of the respective devices, it fails on many different levels. Would you compare a pen to a stylus just because they look the same?
    Bartdog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wharfratg View Post
    If you are making this comparison based only on the shape resemblance of the respective devices, it fails on many different levels. Would you compare a pen to a stylus just because they look the same?
    A pen can write on nearly anything, a stylus can only function on the specific digitizer it's made for. Pen > Stylus, and as a bonus, a pen only costs $0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001/hr in juice (I mean, eventually the electrons that make it up will run out of charge, right?)
    Talderon likes this.

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fonzman78 View Post
    Dude, don't buy the Pro. It's not for you. If you absolutely need more than 5 hours of battery life, then stick with your ipad or android. Or the RT. Go off to your happy place and be content with your mobile device. For me, and other Pro owners, it is exactly what we want and we like having a computer at our fingertips vs using a toy like ipad or android. It's all a matter or needs. You need more than hours battery life otherwise the Pro would be perfect. Ok, good for you. "Move along, these aren't the droids you're looking for. Move along."
    Umm why are you telling me this? Are you confused?

I posted the article to show what they are saying about the Pro good or bad
    -Verizon HTC 8x Blue

Global Posts
    2,350 Global Posts
    Here you go, the new king has been crowned - Asus Taichi at 3 hrs 7 mins. Asus Taichi review (11.6-inch) | The Verge Wonder how long it will take them to take the Surface Pro off the top of that list.....

Global Posts
    651 Global Posts
    lol you're so wrong. Surface Pro is closer to Macbook Air and other laptops.
    Surface RT and iPad run on ARM (Tegra 3 and Apple A5X)
    Surface Pro and Macbook Air run on x86 (Intel Core i5)

^This = FAIL
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast