Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

So looking at device manager, I see that mine is a Micron c400-mtfddac064mam mSATA 64GB drive. This model number matches directly with a removable storage that you can purchase at online retailers and can be found on ebay as well... Anyone crack open their Surface Pro yet to see if this drive can indeed be upgraded? The C400 drives go up to 256GB. If this is indeed true, would this make the Surface the first (and possibly only) upgradable tablet? iFixit needs to get on this immediately!

I had to buy the 64gb version, it's the only one available and the 128 is nowhere to be found. After installing all my favorite Windows app, I'm out of space. I will upgrade to msata 256 without hesitation! I hope it's upgradable.

Quote Originally Posted by NickNYC View Post
    I had to buy the 64gb version, it's the only one available and the 128 is nowhere to be found. After installing all my favorite Windows app, I'm out of space. I will upgrade to msata 256 without hesitation! I hope it's upgradable.
    did you backup and remove the recovery partition?

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rcx84 View Post
    So looking at device manager, I see that mine is a Micron c400-mtfddac064mam mSATA 64GB drive. This model number matches directly with a removable storage that you can purchase at online retailers and can be found on ebay as well... Anyone crack open their Surface Pro yet to see if this drive can indeed be upgraded? The C400 drives go up to 256GB. If this is indeed true, would this make the Surface the first (and possibly only) upgradable tablet? iFixit needs to get on this immediately!
    I'm very curious if it is upgradeable as well, but it wouldn't be the first. The Acer W700 has an upgradeable msata drive.

Quote Originally Posted by NickNYC View Post
    This right here just convinced me to wait for the 128GB model stock replinshment.

I sure hope its expandable. That would make this thing so sweet. Could manufacturers be using modified ultrabook reference designs to minimize cost/risk for first Gen device?

I've also ordered the 64GB model. Hope to be able to upgrade the drive.

Does anyone know if iFixit is going to do a teardown? I don't want to break something taking it apart.

Quote Originally Posted by rcx84 View Post
    Does anyone know if iFixit is going to do a teardown? I don't want to break something taking it apart.
    I hope they do!!
    Talderon

Device: Black Nokia Lumia 1520 (32GB Edition)
    Network: AT&T (LTE)

what makes you think they can get one, nobody else can<g>

well, some got it. I get my 128 tomorrow from the ms store online.

64GB to 300GB Surface Pro for $200

Guys you can buy this upgrade kit on amazon for only $200 and use it with any cloning software (Acronis True Image free trial)

http://www.amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-B...wpcentral00-20

It is a 240GB drive so why 300GB? Because you can use the mSATA adapter in this combo to house your old mSATA SSD.
    Last edited by Matt Dawson1; 02-12-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dawson1 View Post
    Guys you can buy this upgrade kit on amazon for only $200 and use it with any cloning software (Acronis True Image free trial)

Amazon.com: MyDigitalSSD 50mm Bullet Proof 4 BP4 50mm mSATA Solid State Drive SSD SATA III 6G (240GB): Computers & Accessories

It is a 240GB drive so why 300GB? Because you can use the mSATA adapter in this combo to house your old mSATA SSD.
    Honestly, I am not going to chase any upgrades for the SSD until someone tears this thing down and shows that the SSD is not soldered in. I have seen a X-Ray of a Pro, but can't see anyting 100% definitive in that.
    Talderon

There is no reason to solder down an mSATA SSD so I give that a 0.0% chance. Now getting it opened may be tricky. Trying to get my hands on one.

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    if the surface r/t tear down is at all indicative of the difficulty associated w/ opening up the surface pro, then this isn't going to be an easy task

furthermore, my money is on it being soldered to the board

We got one over here at SSD, mSATA, Compact Flash, SDHC, SD, Flash Drives, and more | My Digital Discount Dissection/Teardown coming soon. Will post here when I have more info. Will try to do a blog post on it ASAP.

64GB to 300GB Surface Pro for $200

Amazon.com: MyDigitalSSD 50mm Bullet Proof 4 BP4 50mm mSATA Solid State Drive SSD SATA III 6G (240GB): Computers & Accessories

Did you notice that the one person that reviewed the drive said it only had 111GB usable when it's a 240GB drive. Does that sound right?

We got one over here at SSD, mSATA, Compact Flash, SDHC, SD, Flash Drives, and more | My Digital Discount Dissection/Teardown coming soon. Will post here when I have more info. Will try to do a blog post on it ASAP.
    Thanks Matt. Can you share if/when you are successful at getting the case open?

They have the 120GB model, notice all parts in that product line are in that posting.

Hope to have some info tomorrow afternoon.

They have the 120GB model, notice all parts in that product line are in that posting.
    Thanks Matt! Didn't notice that. I'm anxiously awaiting your teardown. It'll help me determine if I need to return the 64GB model and buy the 128GB or just upgrade my 64GB model. I prefer to keep the 64GB model and just upgrade it to more than the 128GB if possible.

Yea, I'm awaiting the same. Will definitely upgrade immediately if it turns out the 64GB can be taken apart reasonably.

Not sure it is worth the teardown... :(

Microsoft Surface Pro Teardown - iFixit
    Talderon

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    after viewing the ifixit tear down i am convinced opening this thing up would be a HUGE mistake
    Talderon likes this.

Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mkhalil06 View Post
    after viewing the ifixit tear down i am convinced opening this thing up would be a HUGE mistake
    c'mon, live a little 😏
    Jastow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan.kruger View Post
    c'mon, live a little ��
    I do live a lot!! I just don't want to be shot by my wife... :P

Honestly, for now, 128 is plenty. I have apps installed, things going on and using this thing every day and I am still over 80GB free (this is including having Office 2013 Pro Plus install with everything run from HDD). I have 3 email accounts set up with Outlook 2013 (including my work email).

Now, with all of this space, I am thinking I am going to install SkyDrive Desktop App and Sync. I don't think for my usage I will have much space issue as I have the same setup on my Laptop (i7 with 500GB SSD) and have more space than I need. This will replace my laptop for everything except when I want to game away. :)
    Talderon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast