Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By superlawyer15

I been looking around, and while I see folks saying "I'm getting a 64GB card", I haven't seen any technical specifications to the max size of a microSDXC card that can be used in the Pro. The tech specs don't mention it (or I can't find it).

Anyone come across any 'official' documentation to the maximum size microSDXC card that can be used in the Pro?

Thanks! - M

Found this from the Q&A the other day. I recall seeing 128gb?

Q: Will the hard drive be able to be upgraded past the 128gb stock drive?

A: “Hi, this is Ed on the development team. The internal solid state drive built into Surface is not accessible for upgrade. However, the recessed micro SD memory card slot gives you unlimited memory expandability. The SDXC slot supports the highest performance SDXC memory cards.”

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I think I read somewhere that the microSDXC format supports up to 4 terabytes but currently 64GB is as large as they come. They might have some 128GB by the end of this year although I'm sure it will be pricey. Plus, they enhanced the speed format again even faster than UHS 1 but those only come in smaller sizes. There always seem to be a tradeoff.

I ordered a Sandisk 64GB UHS 1 for now for about $58. That should hold me over for now. I plan to keep my 1 TB portable hard disk with me for any large storage issues such as photos when I go on vacation. Plus, I'll off-load the recovery partition for some extra room too.

yeah, 64gb is the biggest you can by, so therefore, the biggest the surface can have.

Global Posts
    980 Global Posts
    No, there are 128GB cards available, but they run $85+. Kingston and Sandisk both have them out.

As for limitations, it would be just like a desktop or laptop running windows 8. As someone mentioned previously, 4 TB or so.

But just remember, there is always a USB port on the device which can utilize USB sticks or external hard drives.

All in all the physical storage options are only limited to the amount that you are willing to pay for said storage.

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    there is no such thing as a 128gb microsd
    kittengirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest790 View Post
    I think I read somewhere that the microSDXC format supports up to 4 terabytes but currently 64GB is as large as they come. They might have some 128GB by the end of this year although I'm sure it will be pricey. Plus, they enhanced the speed format again even faster than UHS 1 but those only come in smaller sizes. There always seem to be a tradeoff.

I ordered a Sandisk 64GB UHS 1 for now for about $58. That should hold me over for now. I plan to keep my 1 TB portable hard disk with me for any large storage issues such as photos when I go on vacation. Plus, I'll off-load the recovery partition for some extra room too.
    If you offloaded the recover partition how will you use it, when you need it.

I loaded the wrong Symantec antivirus on my Pro today, and it went into infnate loops booting, so I was able to get it into a troubleshooting page, and did a refresh, there were no questions as to where I wanted to load from, so I am curious.

I put the recover partition on a USB flash drive.... dude, it ain't that hard!

So I am also looking for a FAST MicroSD card. I was reading the below article but can not find any of these. All the Sandisk and Kingstons out there are like 30Mbs.

Anyone have any ideas on these 90Mbs?

Toshiba to Launch the World’s Fastest SDHC Memory Card

Quote Originally Posted by MikadoWu View Post
    So I am also looking for a FAST MicroSD card. I was reading the below article but can not find any of these. All the Sandisk and Kingstons out there are like 30Mbs.

Anyone have any ideas on these 90Mbs?

Toshiba to Launch the World’s Fastest SDHC Memory Card
    SanDisk website has 16gb micro sdhc cards running at 95mbs

Global Posts
    980 Global Posts
    Remember that those speeds are theoretical highest speeds. Certain factors come into play like the hardware bus speed for transferring data at that level.

I saw a Taiwanese site this weekend offering "evaluation" 128GB micro-SDXC cards for $795...ouch.... My gut tell me it will be year-end at best, and $250-$300 range for a 128GB card. Theoretically, I believe the SDXC standard can handle up to 2TB of data (https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/sdxc_capabilities/), but I have never seen what the storage limit is for micro-SDXC cards. For heaven's sake, they are barely the size of your pinkie-finger nail, so I have trouble seeing much beyond 128GB, and given they have been "coming soon" for nearly two years, my bet is that will be the upside limit. The real answer is for Surface Pro 2 to upgrade to full size SDXC, which are already available as 128GB for under $90. Of course, Microsoft could just move up to a Mushkin 480GB microSATA SSD (at only $429 retail, surely MS could beat that price)...

yeah, there are "ultra high speed" SD cards, that do 90mb/sec, just as thee are SD cards >64gb. but not MICRO SD.

As best as I could tell, atleast as of a month ago, UHS1 64gb was the biggest fastest micro SD card.

Quote Originally Posted by aln12483 View Post
    I put the recover partition on a USB flash drive.... dude, it ain't that hard!
    no kidding dude. the question was how will you reload it from the usb. is there an option to select the usb when you need to reload

Quote Originally Posted by mkhalil06 View Post
    there is no such thing as a 128gb microsd
    back from mars? 125G cards are available since late 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Huime View Post
    back from mars? 125G cards are available since late 2011
    NOT micro-SD, only standard size SDXC cards in that capacity.

Yes you can reload from USB, the whole process walks you through putting on USB and then reloading if you need. I have actually reloaded and reset a surface from a USB stick to try and fix some device glitches.
    Highest SD"XC" I've seen is 128GB. you might as well buy a slim USB 3.0. I've seen 256GB USB sticks. I believe they can be mapped.

SanDisk prices for Class 10 UHS-1 are great on Amazon.com.

It does seem like 128GB SDXC cards will be out later this year - because of that I'm holding off on buying a 64GB now (even though I'm limited by the 128GB in my Pro).

On Surface Pro launch day, I watched this Youtube video of a MS rep at an MS store somewhere in Canada. (He was wearing a cowboy hat.) While he was doing a walkthrough of the unit, he said that the microSDXC slot supported the full capacity of the standard, and he then said that up to "512GB" cards would eventually be available, and the Surface Pro would support those. I don't know if his comment about the 512GB was accurate or not, and I replayed his comment to analyze - he was very careful to not mention a timeframe for those cards, so that could mean years from now....

I have to say that I much prefer the slot location on the Surface RT over that on the Surface Pro. I'd rather have it hidden and not sticking out, as I'll never remove it and want to use it as a permanent storage expansion.

@ dksmidtx

As of now SDXC is at 256GB,
    Lexar Professional 600x 256GB SDXC UHS-I Flash Memory Card LSD256CTBNA600

Amazon link:
    Amazon.com: Lexar Professional 600x 256GB SDXC UHS-I Flash Memory Card LSD256CTBNA600: Computers & Accessories

Global Posts
    869 Global Posts
    Now if they could just release a micro version and let my tablet and phone read them.
    If it isn't Windows, then it isn't trying hard enough.

Global Posts
    2,406 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by karma647 View Post
    @ dksmidtx

As of now SDXC is at 256GB,
    Lexar Professional 600x 256GB SDXC UHS-I Flash Memory Card LSD256CTBNA600

Folks, SDXC does you no good with Surface - it has to be micro SDXC - so why keep reporting ever greater standard card capacities (other than to frighten all of us when you see that the full size card is $600 - can you imagine what even a 128gb micros SDXC is going to cost)?
    Amazon link:
    Amazon.com: Lexar Professional 600x 256GB SDXC UHS-I Flash Memory Card LSD256CTBNA600: Computers & Accessories

1200 TBs look it up on SanDisk.com and remember that is when they can make it. But sdxc is a standard that is not determined by the os, only if the hardware can support it. Which it can.

I have a 64GB card in my Surface pro... but I'm almost out of room. A 128GB card would be a life saver