Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

So, it appears the 128GB is already sold out online. Also, a cursory check of Best Buy shows no 128GB available in my area. Checking Staples they have the 128GB as "Online Only"

The 64GB version doesn't appear to have such an issue.

128GB shortage!

Yep thats what i am finding aswell. Not sure if it was a logistics issue or what?? Hope i can find atleast one 128 today or may get the 64 and a big sd card for now.

Josh

Yeah. What a jacked up launch. No preorder, Staples only gets 64's, and few BB got anything. What a bummer.

Got my 128GB at the Microsoft Store

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    I preordered at Best Buy. Then found out they were receiving 0 at my Best Buy this week.

Could it be production issues have meant low initial stocks? If so, no wonder they're holding back on giving launch dates elsewhere.

Lack of prep on MSs end. This sucks. They could have been prepared at least and increased unit production. They're bound to sell. There was a larger turnout at my local BB.

This is assuming that they were unprepared.

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    1 was available at my local best buy, I was 2nd in line, and there were 10+ others behind me.

Next shipment is expected Tuesday.

Rumor from the line was that businesses have bought up the majority of the initial inventory.

I drove to the Columbia MD store and got there at 10. They weren't selling the 128s without a reserve card but had 64s. That sucked. I should have known MS was going to short sell these because of RT. smh. I then called MS and no 128s in the whole area. Staples had 1 64 and BB hadn't had their shipment in.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    No one ****s up a launch as well as Microsoft. No idea why they delayed release for Best Buy and Staples when they don't even get any to sell.

I went into the msoft store at 9:20, expecting to be hanging around because they said they opened at 10 (even today as per the phone call I made yesterday).

low and behold, doors were open and they were selling.

I got the last one without a reservation card. I know because the poor dude that walked in after me got told he could get on a waiting list that they would call out on at 8pm tonight for any not picked up by reservation cards.

anyway, I love this thing!!!

I assume there is a fixed supply here... all they could do is push the release date back to stockpile more supply, but the net isn't going to be any different.

Besides, being out of stock is actually better than too much these days. people want what they cant have, appears to be in demand and desirable.

I'm in line at Seattle store. There are about 70 people in front of me.

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    How long b4 everyone starts the complaining about heat, fan, battery life, and sluggishness?

Microsoft only seems to be able to perfect screwing things up. There are zero Surface Pros (62 and 128) available in the 2 Chicago are Microsoft Stores. Only one 64gb available at any best buy in a 20 miles radius of 60657. MS online store is sold out and they're not even taking orders to send out once its bask in stock.

I'm flying to Southern California tomorrow, considering the time zone, how can Best Buy, Staples, and the MS Store in South Coast plaza all show as not in stock and they ARE NOT OPEN YET!!!!

How can this be? did MS send out 100 Surface Pros nationwide?

What a freaking joke.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    My precious
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20130209_102958.jpg  

Somebody bought all the 128gb Surface Pro's in the whole state of Texas! Before 10:30am. Yes, I'm talking MS, BB & Staples. Right.

oh well, patience is a virtue. This will give time for the first wave of bug fixes to be released and then maybe i'll reconsider getting the 128GB

-Luke

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Remember the thread a week ago that said Best Buy was doing reservations with the purchase of a $50 card, well, you should have gone in and done that. The GM at my local Best Buy (near Dallas) told me that most stores got ONE unit in (if any). Since I reserved my 128GB (and was the first to do so at my store) I got the ONLY 128GB model in the area. The GM told me that there was a line at the store, and 3 people basically cursed everyone out at the store. They had to hide my Surface until I got there.

It was pretty funny, when I walked to the tablet area with my email, the girl that signed me up last Saturday grabbed me and literally ran to the front to get the manager to get my unit out. It was like they REALLY wanted it out of the store.
    Bugbog likes this.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdch View Post
    Remember the thread a week ago that said Best Buy was doing reservations with the purchase of a $50 card, well, you should have gone in and done that. The GM at my local Best Buy (near Dallas) told me that most stores got ONE unit in (if any). Since I reserved my 128GB (and was the first to do so at my store) I got the ONLY 128GB model in the area. The GM told me that there was a line at the store, and 3 people basically cursed everyone out at the store. They had to hide my Surface until I got there.

It was pretty funny, when I walked to the tablet area with my email, the girl that signed me up last Saturday grabbed me and literally ran to the front to get the manager to get my unit out. It was like they REALLY wanted it out of the store.
    I reserved at Best Buy for $50.

My Best Buy received 0 128GB and 1 64.

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VagrantWade View Post
    I reserved at Best Buy for $50.

My Best Buy received 0 128GB and 1 64.
    Ok, that sucks. Sorry :(

The 3 Best Buys in my area had 0 128s (went to the Plymouth Meeting, PA store directly, called the King of Prussia and Collegeville stores). Nobody had any idea as to when they'd get an inventory refresh. Sucks.

My local best buy got 2 in. One 128 and One 64. I reserved the 128 yesterday and was told to pick it up today only to find out they sold my unit to someone else this morning. Found that interesting. I have to wait a few days for the next shipment now. They gave me 100 bucks off tho. No complaints here. I see that Microsoft wants to be able to say HEY WE SOLD OUT DAY ONE! But that's not impressive if your only giving stores one or two units. I was even iffy about even picking it up, but with 100 bucks off, I'm decided now.

I don't know how retail ordering works but it seems like either Best Buy / Staples etc. didn't order enough or Microsoft didn't produce enough. If it is the former they can't complain no one shops in stores any more if the experience is this poor when people are trying to buy product. If it is the latter it seems Microsoft should have learned from RT. I have a feeling a lot of the supply went directly to businesses and skipped the retail chain. Good luck everyone finding one. Best Buy in Dallas area sold out. Staples also out online for 128 gb model.

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inside man 55 View Post
    I don't know how retail ordering works but it seems like either Best Buy / Staples etc. didn't order enough or Microsoft didn't produce enough. If it is the former they can't complain no one shops in stores any more if the experience is this poor when people are trying to buy product. If it is the latter it seems Microsoft should have learned from RT. I have a feeling a lot of the supply went directly to businesses and skipped the retail chain. Good luck everyone finding one. Best Buy in Dallas area sold out. Staples also out online for 128 gb model.
    Best Buy in Dallas is sold out cause I got the only 1 shipped to Dallas (jk)
    2013_02_09_12_29_07_hdr.jpg

Global Posts
    685 Global Posts
    I think some of you are giving Best Buy a bit too much credit.

I'd been checking the multiple stores for months trying to find news about Surface Pro preorders. Far from being willing to research it for me, they were all "What's that? What? They're making another Surface? Nobody wanted the last one!"

I didn't manage to get it out of them that they *could* take preorders at the nearby store until literally yesterday. And when I expressed my worry that I wouldn't be able to get one, they're like "We'll probably get two because that's all we'll ever sell and there will never be a line to get them."

Funniest thing. There WAS a line, and only one 64 gig surface to go around. The store reps looked quite embarassed this morning to have their preconceptions so quickly flattened, and were quick to blame UPS for the shortage and say there would be more in a day or so. (Implying that they were quite capable of ordering more, but probably had to order most of them long after UPS stopped taking shipments on Friday.)

And consider this: Their website didn't even have it displayed until about a week before release.

My guess is the following happened, or something similar: There was a general feel at the retail level that the Surface wouldn't sell because the last one didn't sell like they expected to (nor did the Asuses and Acers and Samsungs...), and the individual retail stores simply didn't order many. They figured it was a niche market and would only need to order one or two every once in awhile. They didn't realize people were waiting for the one with full PC capabilities (for what it's worth, there was a Samsung that had the full-PC guts and Wacom support, but didn't have the specs I was looking for...), rather than going for the ARM-based tablets that don't have much software for them yet.

On top of this, they didn't bother putting the Surface up on their website or taking pre-orders until the last minute, and once they did, seemed unaware that they were able to take pre-orders.

I did work at Gamestop in the past, and Best Buy should know by now the only reasons stores bother with pre-orders is to get a general feel for how well something will sell so they know how much to order for each individual store. That and to guarantee a customer's business before they go somewhere else. Once they realized they *could* do pre-orders, the "oh crap" moment began, thus the several-day delay for most of us who ordered one.
    someoneinwa likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast