Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By astondg
  • 1 Post By Wes D

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    I know the Surface Pro is thicker than the RT, but is it enough to actually people off? Sometimes the overall thickness delta (RT vs. Pro) on paper looks to be pretty big but physically, the delta doesn't feel as substantial. Will this be the case for the Surface Pro?

Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Considering they're both the same device running two different OS. I would believe it safe to think they will be the same size.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

I don't think so. When I had my iPad, I had it in a case that ended up making it about .5" thick. Looking around at other people tablets, the vast majority are in cases just like mine so considering that the Surface doesn't need an additional case, I don't think it will be/feel abnormally large.

Quote Originally Posted by ryker002 View Post
    Considering they're both the same device running two different OS. I would believe it safe to think they will be the same size.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express
    The Pro is definitely thicker (0.53" vs 0.37"). I think Dinky89484 wants to know if the difference will be noticeable under normal usage, or if it will make it uncomfortable over the RT variant.

I guess there's no way to really know until people start getting the Pro but someone with other tablets of similar thicknesses might be able to speculate?
    Thanked by:
    ryker002 likes this.

Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I couldn't imagine a .27 (I think I did my math right there) would make it uncomfortable to hold.

Global Posts
    2,471 Global Posts
    it is balanced just like the surface rt so any way you hold it is going to feel comfortable and the thickness won't even matter.

Since the RT and the Pro are 2 different tablets, does it really matter whether 3/16" makes a difference (which it shouldn't)?

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinky89484 View Post
    I know the Surface Pro is thicker than the RT, but is it enough to actually people off? Sometimes the overall thickness delta (RT vs. Pro) on paper looks to be pretty big but physically, the delta doesn't feel as substantial. Will this be the case for the Surface Pro?
    The price and the available storage will be the primary factors to actually put people off. Its thickness is lesser than the macbook air at almost the same price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by coolqf; 01-30-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    The pro is half an inch thick. I am not too worried about it.

I compared a Pro and RT model at the local Microsoft store today. The Surface Pro looks "fatter", but a side by side comparison yields very a tiny difference between the RT and Pro. However, I did notice it when picking it up. It will definitely take some getting used to when using at a slant without the stand, but I suspect the benefits of the full W8 experience will over rule the weight issue.

Looking forward to some real-world battery life tests.
    kittengirl likes this.

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    It definitely was thicker, but weight wise it surprisingly didn't feel heavy.

Played with the Pro at the Microsoft store at the Eaton Centre. The thickness of the Pro feels about the same as the RT with a touch cover folded on the back. I did find myself feeling a little uncomfortable with the touch cover on the Pros back, but simply taking it off felt much better.

The weight difference is pretty marginal. You'll notice it, but it's not a dramatic difference. If anything, what you will notice is how the Pro does warm up with usage, but none of the Microsoft reps who were holding Pros all day long doing demos found it uncomfortable.
    Thanked by:
    Vallos